PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Beretta BM-59 import information

VALMET
July 05, 2016, 16:34
WTK: Hoping that some of you gents who know much more than I do can enlighten me on some things about the BM-59/62 imports. I've heard conflicting information as to how they came in but I've seen Berben and SA imports. I've been told that ALL BM-59s and 62s came in as parts and were assembled once they came into the country and I've also heard that complete guns were imported by Berben and the SA guns were assembled (and vice-versa). And for all I know there may have been other importers? Any info is appreciated.

AliYahu
July 05, 2016, 23:42
WTK: Hoping that some of you gents who know much more than I do can enlighten me on some things about the BM-59/62 imports. I've heard conflicting information as to how they came in but I've seen Berben and SA imports. I've been told that ALL BM-59s and 62s came in as parts and were assembled once they came into the country and I've also heard that complete guns were imported by Berben and the SA guns were assembled (and vice-versa). And for all I know there may have been other importers? Any info is appreciated.

SAInc bought Beretta's parts supply out about 35 years ago, that's where the SAInc guns originated.

The BM62s - excepting SAInc guns - are factory guns imported by Berben.

The BM69s - excepting SAInc guns - are factory guns imported by Benet.

Almost everything else is a clone!

Eli

mills41
July 06, 2016, 01:34
I have a few points to add from 35 years of collecting,owning,and researching all variations of the Beretta style of rifles commonly known to us as BM59's.The first imports were brought in prior to 1968 by Mr.Bill Edwards who owned Benet Arms and Gold Rush gun shop.From my research he imported four semi auto BM59's that were made in Italy from reworked US made M1 garands.Almost all of Italy's BM59 rifles were made from reworked M1's supplied to them by the US Government.After these four rifles were imported Mr Edwards contracted for an aditional 120 rifles to be imported and these were marked as Beretta model BM69 with Benet arms import marks.After these imports Beretta further imported their rifles now marked as model BM62 with Berben import marks.The number imported is not exactly known although it most likely is somewhere in the range of between 1000-2000 rifles.I won't go into detail on the rifles that are either heel marked as BM59 with commercial Springfield Armory markings or P. Beretta markings other than to say that they are very nice rifles built here in the US from parts that were purchased from Beretta in Italy by Mr. Bob Reese.They are made with actual Beretta forged receivers.The other BM59 rifles made,marketed and marked by firms such as National Ordnance,Golden state Arms,Sante Fe Arms and Federal Ordnance are mostly made with rewelded M1 garand receivers and other modified parts.Serious collectors should stay away from them and spend their money on one of the Benet BM69,Berben BM62 or S.A.BM59-P.Beretta BM59 marked varieties.Mills41.