PDA

View Full Version : G41 Personal Best

kotengu
July 02, 2016, 16:43
It seemed like I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at the match last weekend, so I took the G41 out for some more practice today. Of course there's nothing wrong at all with the pistol. I even shot a personal best (group size, not score - I'm zero'd for 230gr bullets and currently shooting 200gr):

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac224/mcstennett/G41%2007-02-16_zpsnh9fdv8l.png

As usual - the fault is all mine. This pistol can shoot!

4x401
July 02, 2016, 17:36
VERY NICE!:thumbsup:

Whats your load recipe?

steelmonkey
July 02, 2016, 21:16
Nice shootin' Tex! Not bad for a big G41. ;)

kotengu
July 02, 2016, 21:57
Whats your load recipe?

Thanks! This is 4.9gr of Titegroup under a Rainier 200gr plated RN bullet with CCI No. 300 primers. I typically shoot 230gr Zero FMJ bullets, but they were out of stock when I needed them and the Rainier were on clearance at Midway.

VALMET
July 02, 2016, 22:12
Definitely a nice group! I'm a big fan of the Glock 41

kotengu
July 30, 2016, 19:38
Records are made to be broken. The G41 strikes again today!

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac224/mcstennett/G41%2007-30-16_zps1ngik8st.png

rowjimmy
July 30, 2016, 20:46
Nice groups!

Right Side Up
July 30, 2016, 23:09
Remind me to never get in a shootout with you Matt. :uhoh:

Great shooting as always. :whiskey:

kotengu
July 31, 2016, 12:05
You're probably safe - I still need working shooting fast and under pressure!

It seemed like I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at the match last weekend,

rowjimmy
July 31, 2016, 15:48
You're probably safe - I still need working shooting fast and under pressure!

You'll be fine. In a shootout with handguns 7 yards or closer, you'll probably ned up shooting each other, multiple times. So, see who can get the CNS hit first :biggrin:

But, RSU's 25 yard groups look like your 10 yard ones, so you might have a challenge upon your hands.

kotengu
July 31, 2016, 16:26
Wow. Evidently I also need working on English. :smile:

I had a feeling RSU was just being kind. That dude can shoot! I'll keep practicing...

rowjimmy
July 31, 2016, 17:14
Wow. Evidently I also need working on English. :smile:

I had a feeling RSU was just being kind. That dude can shoot! I'll keep practicing...

He was shooting off sand bags IIRC...but, he did make his hits.

It was an interesting thread IIRC. He and then SAFN49 were singing the praises of Glock. I pointed out that the group RSU posted was atypical as most Glocks shoot around 3" at 25 yards. SAFN49 kept saying I was wrong. When I pressed him to quote Glock's claims on the pisto'sl accuracy, he quoted 2.5" at 25 yards. This was much closer to my assertion of accuracy than his.

That was the thread RSU said he could see why people put me on ignore. lol...

All I know is, I'm glad I don't take myself half as seriously as some of these guys. Thin skin and big egos make for a lot of butt hurt.

Invictus77
July 31, 2016, 17:17
Records are made to be broken. The G41 strikes again today!

You da man bro :beer:

Especially shooting that well with a crappy Glock instead of a 1911 :whistling:

rowjimmy
July 31, 2016, 17:22
You da man bro :beer:

Especially shooting that well with a crappy Glock instead of a 1911 :whistling:

Shhh....the 230 gr FMJ's don't know the difference.

Right Side Up
July 31, 2016, 17:24
He was shooting off sand bags IIRC...but, he did make his hits.

It was an interesting thread IIRC. He and then SAFN49 were singing the praises of Glock. I pointed out that the group RSU posted was atypical as most Glocks shoot around 3" at 25 yards. SAFN49 kept saying I was wrong. When I pressed him to quote Glock's claims on the pisto'sl accuracy, he quoted 2.5" at 25 yards. This was much closer to my assertion of accuracy than his.

That was the thread RSU said he could see why people put me on ignore. lol...

All I know is, I'm glad I don't take myself half as seriously as some of these guys. Thin skin and big egos make for a lot of butt hurt.

Yeah my groups were off a bag. I can't shoot like Matt does offhand. I've since bought a Gen 4 Model 19. With handloads it shot almost as good as the G22. Is it atypical too?

Speaking of butthurt, you're the one that remembers a difference in opinion from a few months ago......just saying.

rowjimmy
July 31, 2016, 17:50

Speaking of butthurt, you're the one that remembers a difference in opinion from a few months ago......just saying.

My sense of humor is pretty good. I found the whole thing quite funny. I remember funny stuff.

And, I think it was a difference of fact, not opinion. If Glocks typically shot 1.25" at 25 yards, as good as many Bullseye guns, I think they would advertise that more and tout it, not claim their guns shoot 2.5 to 3" at 25 yards.

Matt is a fine shooter though, on this we agree. :)

Invictus77
July 31, 2016, 19:06
Matt is a fine shooter though, on this we agree. :)

+1

kotengu
July 31, 2016, 19:14
You guys sure know how to make a girl blush! :wink:

And before I get TOO big a head, I'm going to move the target back to 50' where it was designed to be shot. It's an NRA 50' Slowfire Pistol target, but I've been shooting it at 30' because when I started it was all I could do to hit the black.

So now the real test begins, and I only get five rounds a week to do it with. Ammo budgets are a bitch!

rowjimmy
July 31, 2016, 19:50

So now the real test begins, and I only get five rounds a week to do it with. Ammo budgets are a bitch!

Dry fire...you seek dry fire....

ALL FAL
July 31, 2016, 23:10
Dry fire...you seek dry fire....

Dry fire is good, and fun at running broadside head shots, one of my favorite practices.

And you guys that put some of us on Ignore, F@CK you ya thin skinned spineless bastages. :shades:

Right Side Up
August 01, 2016, 01:03
A lot of fry-fire with a Glock is a bad idea. Yeah I know....many do it, but a few also bust out the boltface too.

rowjimmy
August 01, 2016, 07:45
A lot of fry-fire with a Glock is a bad idea. Yeah I know....many do it, but a few also bust out the boltface too.

Never heard that. I have 10 to 15k (at least) through my G17 in addition to thousands of dry fire repetitions with no issue to date.

I had a trigger spring break before and my magazine release spring wore out very recently.

How many cases of this have you heard of?

TurnkeyNomo
August 01, 2016, 16:07
Never heard that. I have 10 to 15k (at least) through my G17 in addition to thousands of dry fire repetitions with no issue to date.

I had a trigger spring break before and my magazine release spring wore out very recently.

How many cases of this have you heard of?

I am a Glock armorer (not an accomplishment, a monkey with $64 in hand and a spare 8 hours can say the same) and Glock specifically warns the the striker repeatedly hitting the rear of the hole where the tip comes through will eventually wear it down and can rupture that face. they say to use snap caps or some similar item.

for the uninitiated, the class is worth it if only for the stories from the Glock USA guys about the dumb lawsuits they've been subjected to.

rowjimmy
August 01, 2016, 16:53
I am a Glock armorer (not an accomplishment, a monkey with $64 in hand and a spare 8 hours can say the same) and Glock specifically warns the the striker repeatedly hitting the rear of the hole where the tip comes through will eventually wear it down and can rupture that face. they say to use snap caps or some similar item.

for the uninitiated, the class is worth it if only for the stories from the Glock USA guys about the dumb lawsuits they've been subjected to.

Interesting, i never heard that and a friend is also a Glock Armorer and never cautioned as such. Maybe they never told the story when he took the course or he forgot.

I thought the Gock Armorer course was more than that ($64), I believe I heard someone say $250 the other day. IDK. That seems like a pretty good price given it's mostly just pushing a couple of pins.

I wonder how common this failure is or if they had one pistol with bad metallurgy and this recommendation grew out of it. I'm curious if they did extensive testing to come to this recommendation.

Thanks.

Right Side Up
August 01, 2016, 17:45
Google "Glock breech face broke"

Glock slides are MIM...cast...or whatever you want to call it. Used to be billet. Cast is supposed to be as strong or stronger, but yet they break. :rolleyes:

TurnkeyNomo
August 01, 2016, 18:22
Interesting, i never heard that and a friend is also a Glock Armorer and never cautioned as such. Maybe they never told the story when he took the course or he forgot.

I thought the Gock Armorer course was more than that ($64), I believe I heard someone say $250 the other day. IDK. That seems like a pretty good price given it's mostly just pushing a couple of pins.

I wonder how common this failure is or if they had one pistol with bad metallurgy and this recommendation grew out of it. I'm curious if they did extensive testing to come to this recommendation.

Thanks.

I can't say off the top of my head, but I hold a bunch of silly certifications through my work, and many are subsidized by CA POST, so if a class is normally $XXX POST pays for the majority of it and the agency covers the rest. Soooo, I guess thanks to all of you guys for paying for it.

rowjimmy
August 01, 2016, 20:59
I can't say off the top of my head, but I hold a bunch of silly certifications through my work, and many are subsidized by CA POST, so if a class is normally $XXX POST pays for the majority of it and the agency covers the rest. Soooo, I guess thanks to all of you guys for paying for it.

So, you spend your days enforcing mala prohibita laws to enrich the state, and then further your education on the backs of the already strapped taxpayer?

Do you have no shame? :rofl:

rowjimmy
August 02, 2016, 07:37
I'm just busting your balls BTW. It's always good to see new posters.

kotengu
August 02, 2016, 09:19
This thread took an interesting turn. I'm going to make it a life goal to break the breech face of my Glock with too much dry fire. Then I MIGHT be good...

TurnkeyNomo
August 02, 2016, 11:19
I'm just busting your balls BTW. It's always good to see new posters.

I'm a big kid with pretty thick skin, I'm not worried about it. Plus 18 years in law enforcement as a Libertarian has left me with a healthy level of disgust for wasteful .gov spending, so we're basically on the same side here.

brunop
August 02, 2016, 13:35
^

You're not *that* new, but welcome aboard anyway!