PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Security Six Bobbed Hammer?

Regal Beagal
June 28, 2016, 19:20
Well I just pulled the trigger on a Stainless Security Six in .357 with a 2 3/4" barrel. My plans are to do a little modification to it and make it my combat carry revolver. One of the modifications I want to make is to switch out the spurred hammer for a spurless hammer for smooth draw when concealed. No hang ups... Now does this require switching out the hammer spring for a higher poundage spring? My other plan is to reduce the factory DA trigger pull and really don't want to go to a higher hammer spring poundage but if that's the case then I will go with the higher poundage.

CG&L
June 28, 2016, 19:46
Bobbing hammers is something I do to S&W revolvers but have not had an opportunity to do this to a Ruger

It's really a simple operation to remove the hammer and cut off the spur. Something you probably already know is you're going to have to smooth out the single action notch. It isn't cutting out the notch so much as it is grinding it off. This is a real safety issue that must be done

On springs
You can do whatever you want to your gun but it's been my experience that reducing the hammer spring will cause light strikes. Not all the time but it will happen. Especially with hard primers. I've been down this road many times with Smiths and don't do it anymore.
I don't even reduce the trigger return spring and have put in stronger ones for faster trigger reset

Simply smoothing up the hammer edges and the edges of a few other parts will give a great trigger

nvcdl
June 28, 2016, 20:55
You might poke around on ebay - I've seen spurless hammers for sale - a lot of police trade-ins had them.

Timber Wolf
June 29, 2016, 18:03
Ouch, don't bob that sweet Security. But, if you must why don't you start with a fixed sight Speed Six? No sights to snag that way. I have both and the Security rides the safe shelf while the Speed gets out and about in an IWB holster. I loves me some old Ruger Security/Speed/Police Six.:D

BUFF
June 29, 2016, 18:30
I bobbed a stainless Security Six for a friend. Lightening the hammer actually lets it swing faster than stock and hit the firing pin with a smidge more energy. The factory Ruger spurless hammer looks just like the spurred hammer with the upper contour rounded all the way rather than being interrupted by the spur, so there should be no difference in reliability.

I found that polishing the strut that the mainspring rides on helps, as it's a stamped part.

W.E.G.
June 29, 2016, 19:24
You might poke around on ebay - I've seen spurless hammers for sale - a lot of police trade-ins had them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Security-Six-Revolver-Factory-357-Stainless-Hammer-/301231661699

Regal Beagal
June 30, 2016, 16:59
i have actually found factory bobbed hammers for the Security Six at Numrich Gun Parts for about $30.. they have both blued and stainless in stock. ;) Wolfe has a spring kit for it also. I've used their springs in a early stainless Taurus 85ch and a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter and was quite happy with both outcomes as far as trigger pull reduction.