PDA

View Full Version : G10 Material

meltblown
June 24, 2016, 13:21
Got a Sig 227 and, as usual, I hate the Sig grips. Hogue has an aftermarket made of G10. I want something more squishy like my other Hogues. This G10 material doesn't look like it's squishy. Any thoughts? Thanks

SWOHFAL
June 24, 2016, 23:55
It's like micarta, only based on a fiberglass or other synthetic weave rather than a natural one like linen, canvas or paper. I have several knives with micarta handles and always see G10 being bandied about, so I've looked into it. The differences appear to be that G10 has more grip dry, is slipperier wet, and has a little more impact resistance. Since my hands sweat more than I like, I'd take something that is easier to hold wet and since I might need to shoot while bloody as well, I'd look for someone who does micarta instead.

idsubgun
June 26, 2016, 12:07
G10 is fiberglass cloth reinforced, epoxy resin impregnated. It's hard, not "squishy".
If cutting G10, and other similar types of material, do NOT breath the dust! It's fiberglass!!

I've machined a metric sh*t ton of the stuff, and hate it! It stinks to high Hell when machined, and you don't get chips, you get dust.
Care must be taken when entering/exiting the material with an end mill, or the material can break a chunk off. You also need to use carbide tooling because G10 is super abrasive and will dull a HSS cutter. Even when using carbide, expect tool life to be very short.

That being said, it's great for knife handles, firearm grips, etc. It has characteristics of high strength, low moisture absorption, excellent electrical properties and chemical resistance.

GIshooter
July 18, 2016, 15:01
"Care must be taken when entering/exiting the material with an end mill, or the material can break a chunk off"

Any difference between a two flute VS 4 flute? Cutting speed? I was considering buying some slabs for a couple of knife/machete projects.

idsubgun
July 18, 2016, 17:58
"Care must be taken when entering/exiting the material with an end mill, or the material can break a chunk off"

Any difference between a two flute VS 4 flute? Cutting speed? I was considering buying some slabs for a couple of knife/machete projects.

4 flute is better. Make sure you use carbide. Not sure on cutting speed. That depends on HP of the mill, size of cutter, number of flutes, depth of cut, etc.
If you Google it, with your details, I'm sure there's info out there.

If you're decking some slabs, a flycutter might be better then an end mill.

meltblown
July 18, 2016, 18:16
I'm sticking with the stock grip for now. wanted a squishy feel. Was hoping hogue had a wrap around like the P239

I always buy the oddball stuff unintentionally. Trying to make this a shooter more than a carry.as it is my only full size pea shooter. Commander length was the largest before this thing. Researching the recoil and hammer springs

Slaughter
July 27, 2016, 13:30
I also work in this kind of stuff for a living. Trust me you do not want G10 board stock for grips.

Even if you could get good high quality machine checkering, the stuff would really wear badly. When it does wear, you will pick up little bits of fiberglass in your fingers.

It breaks down badly in sunlight too. It would need to have a protective coating.