PDA

View Full Version : Scatter-gat friends, I Need guidance

Boomerdownsir
June 16, 2016, 09:50
Hey all, first time posting in the shotgun section, I'm feeling the time will be soon if parts stop breaking down around my house. I've been looking at trench guns ithaca, winchester, the reproduction inlands and norincos. I guess my question is how much should i expect to pay for a shooter, nothing fancy. Do they generally run high? I've been browsing gunbroker and have seen a rollercoaster of prices. Any input would be welcome, even if its "Boomer, look at something else" thanks everyone

Roadmarker
June 16, 2016, 12:09
I jumped recently. Mossberg pump was the price/performance winner. If you're really strapped you could try a Maverick, but I'd go with at least a 500. Good luck.

kotengu
June 16, 2016, 12:11
$300 for a Remington 870. I did find one in a pawn shop once for $140, and snatched it up right quick-like.

fnogger
June 16, 2016, 20:42
Intended use?

For competition/games like 3 Gun, I'd be looking really close at the Mossberg 930 series.

For pure defense I'd look at the Mossberg 590/590A1 or if you are on a budget the 8 shot version of the Maverick 88

For "I need a shotgun" general use, I'd look at either a Mossy 500 combo (longer barrel w/ screw in chokes and a 18.5" barrel w/ cylinder choke) or a plain Mossy 500 w/ the field/hunting barrel and screw in chokes and then maybe a Target Sports brand 20" barrel w/ screw in chokes. I say "maybe" because mine arrives tomorrow so I'm not sure how nice they are... but for $70...

Can you tell I like Mossbergs? Similar models/offerings are available from both Remington and Winchester if your brand loyalty/preferences lean in one of those directions

VALMET
June 16, 2016, 21:18
As far as Winchester 12 and 97 Trench guns go (real ones), even well-used, shooter grade guns are going to run well over $2k. Hell I think the new repro Ithacas are well over $800

I'd spring for an older 870 as I wouldn't own anything mfg by Remington in the past few years.

Invictus77
June 16, 2016, 21:26
As far as Winchester 12 and 97 Trench guns go (real ones), even well-used, shooter grade guns are going to run well over $2k. Hell I think the new repro Ithacas are well over $800

I'd spring for an older 870 as I wouldn't own anything mfg by Remington in the past few years.

I started to reply, saw a PM and got distracted, refreshed and read VAMET's reply. He pretty well covered my thoughts. I loves me some older 870s :love:

I would only add, there are a lot of fake Win 97 trench guns out there. Be careful if you are looking for an original before you pay big bucks.

chino*74
June 16, 2016, 21:33
Look for an older police trade in REM 870, better built, all steel, non MIM ejector, better finish, armorer maintained, rear sight on most, good base gun project.

I got one recently off gunbroker for $280.00 I was the only bidder. It's a nice 870, getting some few parts for it, new recoil pad, mag follower & a few other things, over all it is in good shape & feels much better built than the newer 870's. Plus I have that cool shorty corn cobb front hand guard, mine is all wood, which I prefer.

http://rifleshooter.com/2015/05/remington-870-police-trade-ins-the-good-and-the-ugly/

Invictus77
June 16, 2016, 21:47
I have than cool shorty corn cobb front hand guard

Just a general statement and no I do not have serial number range, but the older "corn cob" models can slam fire if that is of interest to you :wink:

chino*74
June 16, 2016, 22:02
Slam fire? How's that?

d762nato
June 17, 2016, 03:30
Slam fire? How's that?
On the older shotguns you could just hold the trigger down and start pumping the forearm and it would fire as fast as you can pump it. I had an old model 12 and that gun was faster than most semi auto's.

J. Armstrong
June 17, 2016, 07:46
Don't forget the old High Standards. For some reason they don't get much love, but they are the smoothest, slickest pumps ever built, IMHO. Tolerances are tight, so a good clean and lube may be in order before the goodness shows up. They made shotties for JC Penney and I think also Sears, these versions are sometimes ( not always ) the plain Jane models and are even cheaper.

One caveat; be careful removing the trigger frame or unit. It is an alloy casting and the locating pins can be sheared off if you force things, replacements are unobtanium. The rest of the gun is all steel and wood.

Boomerdownsir
June 17, 2016, 15:11
Dang guys, thank you for all your words, there is a lot to look at!

Impala_Guy
June 17, 2016, 18:23
if you like retro it's hard to beat an all steel Ithaca 37. I still see the police ds specials at gun shows sometimes for less than 500 clams. Never discount a good 870.

Boomerdownsir
June 17, 2016, 18:47
if you like retro it's hard to beat an all steel Ithaca 37. I still see the police ds specials at gun shows sometimes for less than 500 clams. Never discount a good 870.
Awe geeze. I don't know when the gun shows go on around south Florida, maybe check the papers. An Ithaca would be awesome.

ALL FAL
June 18, 2016, 02:35
Don't get in a hurry and the shotgun you want will become available, there are Many. The high standards are excellent as J Armstrong says. Good luck.

Boomerdownsir
June 19, 2016, 11:26
Don't get in a hurry and the shotgun you want will become available, there are Many. The high standards are excellent as J Armstrong says. Good luck.

I did a quick look on GB.. there are so many models

RG Coburn
June 19, 2016, 17:23
Don't forget the old High Standards. For some reason they don't get much love, but they are the smoothest, slickest pumps ever built, IMHO. Tolerances are tight, so a good clean and lube may be in order before the goodness shows up. They made shotties for JC Penney and I think also Sears, these versions are sometimes ( not always ) the plain Jane models and are even cheaper.

One caveat; be careful removing the trigger frame or unit. It is an alloy casting and the locating pins can be sheared off if you force things, replacements are unobtanium. The rest of the gun is all steel and wood.

Yeah,I love those too. JC Higgins,12 ga. model 20

pre1989
June 20, 2016, 00:33
I would get a Norinco 1897 trench gun ..Cheep if you hunt and can be slamed fired ..

Imop the 1898 is one the classic storm into heck guns ...Slame fire 7 rounds and a bayo lug if the above fails

For a knock around gun I like the 870 ..Old school only please not cheep stuff on it ..Good metal parts ...

d762nato
June 20, 2016, 06:08
The only thing about the 1897 is if you are firing it fast is sometimes your hand will ride up the stock until OUCH! That hammer just bit me. :eek: I just shoot an old 870 police with rifle sights these days and it works just fine. Also like already mentioned you can still find them relatively cheap. Good luck on your hunt.

fnogger
June 20, 2016, 09:17
Pick a purpose/use. Pick critical features (I like the ambi safety on the mossy, but it won't work on a pistol grip stock since it is on top of receiver). Pick a brand. Pick a model/style/accessories/features. Done.

Boomerdownsir
June 20, 2016, 09:42
Purpose is really shits and giggles, I have my home defense already, just looking for something a little different than the norm and it'll be my first shotgun maybe even my last who knows, I love rifles more than anything ya know. But I love the wood, and blue finish and want something that ya know you can look at and admire it for what it is. Kind of like the garand, I know it's significant historically but I built it myself and know the workings of it and appreciate the thought of the gun, you know that feeling. Sorry for the rambling I just got out of a 2am shift Pick a purpose/use. Pick critical features (I like the ambi safety on the mossy, but it won't work on a pistol grip stock since it is on top of receiver). Pick a brand. Pick a model/style/accessories/features. Done.

ray55classic
June 20, 2016, 11:17
I'd buy used , In the under $500 list used list
the 2 most popular with the most available parts and accessories are
Remington 870 police model
Mossberg 590 /500

the Winchester 1200/1300 Defender , not as popular is often a good buy , parts aren't as prevalent but they are available

With these 3 shotguns , for the price of an easily available extra barrel with screw in chokes you can turn your defense shotgun into a do anything shotgun
From a scoped slug gun for deer, to a full choked duck hunter, to a shotgun to go shoot some skeet , trap ,or sporting clays . It's something to consider

bulletslap
June 22, 2016, 19:50
It addition to the above excellent suggestions don't overlook a good Savage 520 - a JMB design, and it takes down also.

fnogger
June 23, 2016, 07:49
Purpose is really shits and giggles, I have my home defense already, just looking for something a little different than the norm and it'll be my first shotgun maybe even my last who knows, I love rifles more than anything ya know. But I love the wood, and blue finish and want something that ya know you can look at and admire it for what it is. Kind of like the garand, I know it's significant historically but I built it myself and know the workings of it and appreciate the thought of the gun, you know that feeling. Sorry for the rambling I just got out of a 2am shift

If you like nice wood, and nice blued steel, treat yourself. It won't be tacticool, or suitable for 3 gun (well, cowboy maybe) but I'd look for a nice 20ga O/U - CZ, Ruger, Browning, etc.

Wagontrainer
July 01, 2016, 17:36
I recently acquired a Winchester Model 1200 with a 18.5 barrel and thought about using as a self defense firearm.Haven't even shot it yet and was wondering if there were any draw backs with this model.

bulletslap
July 02, 2016, 15:07
It ain't a Model 12, but if it is in good working order it should give good service.

Wagontrainer
July 02, 2016, 15:36
It ain't a Model 12, but if it is in good working order it should give good service.
Thanks for the input,the gun is in excellent condition.

ByronF
July 03, 2016, 09:43
I have a 2nd year 870 (1953?). Doesnt slam fire

Old Ithaca pumps are pretty nice in addition to other recommendations.

ray55classic
July 03, 2016, 10:08
I have a 2nd year 870 (1953?). Doesnt slam fire

Old Ithaca pumps are pretty nice in addition to other recommendations.

I own an R WW code marked 870 which according to Remington's own barrel codes is a November 1950 build date. The receiver # is in the 58K range.
It will not slam fire.
And I agree wholeheartedly an Ithaca 37 is a really sweet shooter that will slam fire

Boomerdownsir
July 03, 2016, 12:12
Took a visit to the gun show last weekend. Everything I saw was in excess of 800 for knock off winchesters, etc. Saw a Stevens 520 trench gun conversion from a ranger for $500. I'm regretting I didn't jump on it as it was in pretty nice condition. But like others have said wait

raubvogel
July 03, 2016, 18:09
Awe geeze. I don't know when the gun shows go on around south Florida, maybe check the papers. An Ithaca would be awesome.

https://gunshowtrader.com/gunshows/florida/

Purpose is really shits and giggles, I have my home defense already, just looking for something a little different than the norm and it'll be my first shotgun maybe even my last who knows, I love rifles more than anything ya know.

Shits and giggles you say?
http://www.shotgunnews.com/files/2013/02/Century-Arms-PW87_001.jpg

ismith
July 24, 2016, 22:43
Why not a Winchester Model 50 or 59? Pre-64 quality and a pretty interesting design. Best of all, dirt cheap!

Boomerdownsir
July 27, 2016, 19:21
Why not a Winchester Model 50 or 59? Pre-64 quality and a pretty interesting design. Best of all, dirt cheap!

Is that a semi auto? I'm kind of looking for a pump

Bandy
July 30, 2016, 08:41
http://www.iacshotguns.com/982pump.html

These are gtg

There are several threads about these on the sister site.........