PDA

View Full Version : Brake vs. Flash hider ???

Gazz
June 16, 2016, 08:08
I work in a LGS that is just across the border from Massachusetts. We get lots of MA customers who come to buy tax free and recently a MA customer ordered one of these;

http://www.kellyenterprises.net/firearms/hk-94-93-91-and-sp89-variants/vke-93k-rcm-556-rifle-w-4-prong-brake-detail.html

The question at the store is that really a muzzle brake welded on the barrel? It sure looks like a prong type flash hider which of course is illegal in MA (ban state) while a brake is okay. I spoke with the guy at Kelly's and he is adamant that the muzzle device is a brake. He couldn't or wouldn't offer any documentation to that effect, just that he said it is a brake.

I know contacting MA Public Safety folks what is legal there and what is not will provide little if any information. There does not seem to be any set rules or definitions and that way they can just say not allowed. Does the ATF evaluate and determine what is what?

In any case, the customer is nervous about taking the rifle home now and would like to have a brake installed that looks like a brake without question. In that case, I need to know what the threads on the barrel are before the existing muzzle device is removed.
Thanks for any responses!

hkshooter
June 17, 2016, 07:37
Hard to tell in the small pic on my phone but it looks like one of IGF's 53 type flash hiders.

Gazz
June 18, 2016, 06:06
Yeah, that's what I think too. It has four slots that are open at the muzzle end and looks just like the one you have mentioned. The dickhead at Kellys swears up and down (and is quite rude) that it is a brake and he sells them to all the ban states. He even suggested that I look at the HKparts website and I could see them there listed as brakes, which they are not. They are called flash hiders.
Thanks for that response as it clears the whole mess up.