View Full Version : Now THIS revolver is a tank

June 07, 2016, 16:24
I saw this and fell straight away in love--I cant fault this idea really--anyone else have one or thinking about getting one?

June 07, 2016, 17:01
That is sweet :eek:

Bawana jim
June 07, 2016, 17:29

June 07, 2016, 18:45
I just sold an Alaskan Redhawk that I never had any love for and bought as a semi-novelty because I got a heckuva a deal on it. It was actually for sale here in the MP for about 30 minutes last weekend, but a friend happened to call me at that time and as we were talking I told him about it and got an immediate "I want it !".

I picked up a Smith 629 here last week which is what I wanted to begin with and now my friend has an Alaskan which unknownst to me he had been watching for a deal on one for several years. I let him have it for the bargain price I paid and the Alaskan was his "really cool I want one" gun.

Life is good brothers :)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/mlcasson/Alaskan_zpsfyom6uqt.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/mlcasson/media/Alaskan_zpsfyom6uqt.jpg.html)

June 08, 2016, 06:06
I have one that looks identical to the OP in 44mag. It's a solid piece of machinery.
The only downside is that it's a little heavy and bulky for me to carry around... So I end up carrying my 357 in the woods most of the time instead. A bigger guy probably wouldn't have that problem. I'm only 160. So I'm thinking about selling it.
Such a nice revolver though.

June 08, 2016, 10:41
I'm not sure shooting 45acp in a 45LC chamber is that great for accuracy. You have to have Ruger Moon Clips to make it work. I had a 4" Redhawk in 44mag and decided I'd rather have a S&W Mountain Gun.

Retired Bum
June 08, 2016, 17:44
According to my records on July 28, 1995 I bought a new S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum Mountain Revolver. It has the tapered four inch barrel, beveled cylinder, round butt, and has the plain blue Baughman ramp front sight and the plain blue adjustable rear sight.

Paid just over $500 for it almost 21 years ago. It still resides in my safe.

To me the Mountain Revolver is the ideal handgun for hiking or fishing in areas where dangerous critters both two and four legged can be found. A full power 240 grain JHP out of this revolver is a hand full recoil wise for me. Six rounds and I am ready to switch over to some of my hand loaded 240 grain LSWC at 900 fps for the remainder of my range session.

I just can't see packing a revolver the size and weight of the Ruger Redhawk in 45 caliber. I own two revolvers chambered for the .45 Colt, a 3rd gen Colt SAA 4 3/4 inch and a four inch S&W Model 25-5. I shoot these two with standard pressure 255 grain LSWC hand loads. If I need more power then the 629 MR is what I use.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

June 08, 2016, 19:58
Then they are ARMORED.

Tough revolvers but heavy, I carried the 6" 629 all over Alaska, lower 48 ya just don't need that much revolver in most cases. A charter Target Bulldog in 44 special is a good way to go for a trail gun, nice N light too.