PDA

View Full Version : .375 Ruger Anyone?

K. Funk
May 31, 2016, 16:22
Does anyone have any experience with a .375 Ruger caliber rifle? I have a chance to get a Ruger Guide rifle pretty cheap. No real practical use, just something to play with. Maybe big bears if I ever get out west or to kill armored zombies during shtf.

krf

BUFF
May 31, 2016, 20:37
Honestly, the difference between the Ruger and H&H .375's boil down to a cheaper rifle from Ruger and the expense of new dies (if you already have H&H). It would have to be really cheap to make up any difference to me. And if you ever go anywhere the .375 is actually useful (Alaska, western Canada or Africa), the odds of finding replacement ammo if the airlines loses yours are practically zip with the Ruger version, I would bet.

But, you will have the only .375 Ruger on your block!

K. Funk
May 31, 2016, 21:10
Good points. The .375 H&H does have an allure, but I don't run across many rifles in that caliber. I may hold off a while longer. Over the last few years, I have seen Winchesters, Remingtons and Rugers in the H&H caliber, but they have all been full sized rifles. I am kind of drawn to the carbine-like Guide Rifle.

krf

W.E.G.
May 31, 2016, 21:23
What happened to the .350 Remington Magnum?

If I were in the market for non-presentation-grade heavy shoulder arms, I think I'd go with .338 Winchester Magnum, and call it good. Modern bullets allow it to do everything that used to require fatter and heavier bullets. There is a reason why it never will be obsolete.

4x401
May 31, 2016, 21:35
If I were in the market for non-presentation-grade heavy shoulder arms, I think I'd go with .338 Winchester Magnum, and call it good. Modern bullets allow it to do everything that used to require fatter and heavier bullets. There is a reason why it never will be obsolete.

Agree with this completely.

K. Funk
June 01, 2016, 05:01
A .338 is on my list too ;).

krf

partisan50
June 01, 2016, 09:10
Back around 1998 I bought a 700 SS/syn in 375 H&H and it shoots clover leaf groups at 130 yds. :)

It was the first year that they made the big bore a regular cat item and I got it for dealer cost of $475 or $495.

Will C
June 01, 2016, 22:16
I had a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger that I bought back when it was supposed to be the 2nd coming of the .375 H&H only in a regular-length action. The gun itself was easy to obtain, however ammo was, and is, impossible to find in my area. The gun was rugged and accurate, but like many modern guns it had the ergonomic qualities of a rough cut 4x4. I sold it to a guy who used it for brown bear hunting and said it served well for that purpose. These days for just walking around in bear country I carry a stainless .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun 18" stoked with 425 grain hard casts, loaded hot. Way more convenient/comfortable to pack around, better handling qualities (balance and speed), and same big bore peace of mind. Also great for just messing around at the range as factory ammo is readily available from mild to wild.

MACV
June 01, 2016, 23:52
I had a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger that I bought back when it was supposed to be the 2nd coming of the .375 H&H only in a regular-length action. The gun itself was easy to obtain, however ammo was, and is, impossible to find in my area. The gun was rugged and accurate, but like many modern guns it had the ergonomic qualities of a rough cut 4x4. I sold it to a guy who used it for brown bear hunting and said it served well for that purpose. These days for just walking around in bear country I carry a stainless .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun 18" stoked with 425 grain hard casts, loaded hot. Way more convenient/comfortable to pack around, better handling qualities (balance and speed), and same big bore peace of mind. Also great for just messing around at the range as factory ammo is readily available from mild to wild.

Yeah, I'd feel safe in Alaska with my Marlin 45-70 loaded with my hand loads. 350 grn Hornady interlock at 1950 fps. Very accurate and enough knock down power to impress a big bear.

K. Funk
July 21, 2016, 20:14
Well, fate smiled on me. While I was pondering the .375 I got a call from one of the VP's at work. We are a supplier of stainless steel to Ruger. The vendor discount program has been on hold for years, but as luck would have it, they just started up again. A couple of the VP's were going to place an order and one of them remembered that I had an FFL, so voila, he called and asked if I would handle the transfers and just like that I am in on the buy. Guess what I picked?? Guide Rifle in .375 Ruger. I have begun accumulating the required components. Between this and the .350 Rem Mag rifles, I have a feeling my shoulder may be in for a perpetual state of soreness.

krf

randy762ak
July 27, 2016, 21:49
I think If I owned either rifle --Id be buying Boollit Moulds and a box of gas checks and a couple Lbs Of AA 5744 Powder !! Id have a good ol time ! casting and working up loads in Lead--Either of the two would kill deer and Black bears at 200yds ==DRT!!!!!:biggrin:

K. Funk
September 04, 2016, 15:16
I finally got around to loading a few up for the .375 Guide Rifle. I had picked up about 150 pieces of brass a couple of boxes of bullets. I started out with 78 gr RL-19 under 250 gr Hornday's. The recoil was not too terribly bad and the muzzle break sends a hair ruffling breeze over your head very much like a Hakim. After bore sighting, I put about 4 down range at 25 yds to dial it in and then about another 6 rounds to fine tune at 100 yds. Checked POI at 50 yds and called it a day. It held about 1-1/2" at 100 which is adequate for my needs. I will tweek the seating depth for my next outing, but I have a load for bear season that I can live with.

I also played with the M77 stainless in .350 Remington mag and put about 10 rounds down range with that too. Adjusted the 100 yds sight in and checked POI at 50 yds. I think this one is good to go too. Thumpers both!!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/kandainv/063_zps3flprlmw.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/kandainv/media/063_zps3flprlmw.jpg.html)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/kandainv/064_zpsxmggarnf.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/kandainv/media/064_zpsxmggarnf.jpg.html)

krf

grumpy1
September 18, 2016, 00:05
I looked into the 375 Ruger hen it first came out and it looked like it had real promise to it but the only advantages it had were the lower cost rifle and a shorter standard length action.

I like the 350 Remigton mag in an old model 600 or 660 Remington. Very similar idea to the Ruger Guide rifle. But I like my 338-06 even better because it isn't far behind the 338 win mag doesn't hurt as much to shoot and holds 5 rounds in the mag.

chet
June 23, 2017, 16:10
Necroposting because I have been gone a while.

I have an early production Ruger African in .375 Ruger. My primary impetus for getting it was (what else?) a trip to Africa. With a 23" plain muzzle, its a slim, well balanced shooter with excellent accuracy using the one load I have ever needed - the 270grain SP-RP from Hornady.

There are lots of other great rifles and calibers that have overlap with the 375 Ruger (and for some strange reason, I am interested in all of them). However, I'm a southpaw and the Hawkeye African was a sub $1K ticket to a quality, left handed 300 yard thumper with a warranty with a wicked fast delivery from Bud's.