PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550 Refurbish

meltblown
May 31, 2016, 09:25
Bought one of these used in the MP a year or so back and finally getting it up to speed over the weekend. Missing several parts along with a couple of bent parts. Called Dillon this morning. Everything was free including the shipping. Probably a total of 12 items. Awesome customer service. :bow:

DJ
May 31, 2016, 10:17
Dillon's customer service can't be beat.

gunplumber
May 31, 2016, 11:43
Amen. Dillon rocks. Except for their POS 9mm carbide die.

kotengu
May 31, 2016, 13:06
Amen. Dillon rocks. Except for their POS 9mm carbide die.

Agreed - Dillon is the schiznet. I had to read the above twice though, as it took me a minute to realize that "POS 9mm" was not a new wildcat cartridge. :wink:

oleblu72
May 31, 2016, 13:21
Bought one of these used in the MP a year or so back and finally getting it up to speed over the weekend. Missing several parts along with a couple of bent parts. Called Dillon this morning. Everything was free including the shipping. Probably a total of 12 items. Awesome customer service. :bow:

I impressed, I have a couple of slightly corroded parts on my 550 that I recently bought used maybe I'll give Dillon a call if their that easy to get along with.

Do you have to send the old parts back Meltblown?

Mark

gunplumber
May 31, 2016, 13:39
It's been many years since I could afford to reload, but they really pissed me off with that 9mm die. It was a carbide ring. Umm - guess what, Mikey - the 9mm is a tapered case! Ram it through a ring and it's straight-walled - except for the big bulge you just put at the bottom. (sigh) Oh, and blaming it on "firing it in a Glock" or "firing it in an Uzi" instead of "we did a shit job making that die, we'll replace it. . . .", didn't do much for customer confidence. And on their Square Deal, I couldn't switch to an RCBS die.

But yeah, overall, I'm still a big fan of Dillon CS.

meltblown
May 31, 2016, 13:39
I impressed, I have a couple of slightly corroded parts on my 550 that I recently bought used maybe I'll give Dillon a call if their that easy to get along with.

Mark

Nope on sending back. Many of the parts were missing. 1 was damaged, but they sent and entire assembly on the bent part that goes on the powder feeder.
I think they will send you replacements with no problems. They guarantee the units pretty well.

idsubgun
May 31, 2016, 15:48
Yep, great guys to deal with!

I sent my 650 back last year and they did a great rebuild on it, and replaced some parts, for the huge sum of $0.00!!!

The only pistol carbide die I have from them is .45 acp and honestly, even though I've owned that press for about 17-18 years, I've never used those dies.
BUT, I also own their .223/5.56 and .308/7.62x51 carbide dies and they are excellent dies!

lew
May 31, 2016, 16:28

Mark

We typically don't request that warranty parts be sent back. A broken shellplate might require an RMA number, but most small parts will be sent out no questions asked.

meltblown
May 31, 2016, 17:13
We typically don't request that warranty parts be sent back. A broken shellplate might require an RMA number, but most small parts will be sent out no questions asked.

Well, it was refreshing to get someone that knew their shit. Normally those taking an order have no clue at most outfits. Told him I have this old school unit and the online manuals were of the newer version on the powder drop and the primer feeder system. My question was "do you know about these?" His reply was, "I know everything about them."

This is my 1st progressive, so everything is new and starting to make sense. Hope I'm in business this weekend.

4x401
May 31, 2016, 21:22
I'm quite pleased to read that Dillon CS has improved. When I bought my 550B back in '93 I had issue with several parts breaking on the powder feed system...The asswipe I talked to made me pay for the parts. Haven't spent alot with Dillon since.:shrug:

lew
June 01, 2016, 11:51
Well, it was refreshing to get someone that knew their shit. Normally those taking an order have no clue at most outfits. Told him I have this old school unit and the online manuals were of the newer version on the powder drop and the primer feeder system. My question was "do you know about these?" His reply was, "I know everything about them."

This is my 1st progressive, so everything is new and starting to make sense. Hope I'm in business this weekend.

All of the sales techs have spent months on the production floor so we at least have some idea of what we are talking about.:biggrin:

I'm quite pleased to read that Dillon CS has improved. When I bought my 550B back in '93 I had issue with several parts breaking on the powder feed system...The asswipe I talked to made me pay for the parts. Haven't spent alot with Dillon since.:shrug:

I can't speak for the policy twenty+ years ago, but basically, it's now this: materials defects or honest wear= warranty replacement (on most parts and most presses and accessories). Loss or abuse or you want to stock up on a boatload of parts for your own use or resale= yer on yer own; pay up or go elsewhere. :biggrin:

idsubgun
June 01, 2016, 19:47

They must have changed. I went back to my records, and see I bought my 650 in 1997. The reason I bought it was because I owned machine guns and competed heavily with them, and went to many machine guns shoots around the northwest. I was shooting more ammo during those years then most third world countries.
At that time (mid-90's and later) ammo components were dirt cheap, so was surplus ammo and I bought tons of both. Many guys in the machine gun organization I belonged to, Idaho Automatic Weapons Collectors Association (IAWCA), had several members with Dillon presses. They sang the praises of Dillon because of the warranty of their presses. None I knew ever paid anything for replacement parts, or a rebuild. This info was why I bought the 650 press. In fact I called, not too long after I bought it, because I had broken a part and they sent me one free of charge.
Right before I moved to Missouri (3 yrs. ago) I had some parts f*ck up because I installed them incorrectly. Ended up bending a bunch of $hit beyond use so I called and Dillon said to send my press into them. I did and got it back completely fixed with new parts and didn't cost me a dime!
My experience with Dillon started a couple years after you so they must of had an epiphany and decided it's better to just replace the items and get better "press" because of it (pun intended).
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Dillon again!

On a side note, I highly recommend people buy the small parts kit for their press because sooner or later you'll need something from it if you use your press a lot. Nothing worse then needing a ten cent part when you're trying to crank out several hundred rounds of ammo for a competition the next day! I know!!