PDA

View Full Version : De-sporterizing 1898 Krag

Brown Bear
May 30, 2016, 00:14
I just picked up a 1898 Krag from my local pawn shop for $300. Barrel has been cut to 19 1/4", Scope mounted to side of receiver and stock has been changed. Any tips on where to start? I had an idea to just have a gunsmith cut a groove to put a new front sight in and just buy a rear sight but I don't know how well that would work. And is there any way to re seal where the scope is mounted?

Gazz
May 30, 2016, 08:08
The original Krag carbines had a 22" barrel so it has gone past the possibility of restoration or even the appearance of a restored Krag. Don't waste money and time on it to that end. Cheapest thing to do is to find out what scope mount was on it and replace it then you would have a nice shooter which is all that Krag will ever be.

MountainBear
May 30, 2016, 09:27
Everything is possible, but not everything is advisable. This project would sadly be the latter. Extra holes in the receiver can always be tig welded, but you have to have someone who is patient and knows what they are doing or you can have heat treat issues. Barrels can be swapped out, sights reinstalled, and if you're patient enough, you might even find an uncut stock. But by the time all is said and done, you will have a project that cost well more than it is worth. Best to leave drilled, tapped, and chopped sporters be and look for something original or at least closer to original. Either way, good luck!

Invictus77
May 30, 2016, 09:48
Once upon a time the Brown Bear had a question in need of an answer.

The wise Mountain Bear provided Brown Bear with very good information.

The End.