raubvogel
May 28, 2016, 07:00
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/26/exploded-10mm-nighthawk-1911/

meltblown
May 28, 2016, 08:59
Pretty wicked.

Retired Bum
May 28, 2016, 15:29
I have experienced a few squibs both with factory ammo and my handloads in revolvers and auto pistols. The lack of recoil always tipped me off that something was very wrong. I wonder if the owner of that 10mm was rapid firing or doing double taps and just didn't realize what had happened.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

okiefarmer
May 28, 2016, 15:38
I'm still trying to understand how the 2nd round chambered from a squib round. Am I missing something, this is a blowback operation. A squib shouldn't have provided enough inertia to chamber another round, it didn't even have enough to get the previous round out the barrel.

No doubt, it's blowed up, just trying to understand the mechanics.:confused::confused:

SWOHFAL
May 28, 2016, 16:37
I'm still trying to understand how the 2nd round chambered from a squib round. Am I missing something, this is a blowback operation. A squib shouldn't have provided enough inertia to chamber another round, it didn't even have enough to get the previous round out the barrel.

No doubt, it's blowed up, just trying to understand the mechanics.:confused::confused:

I believe the owner chambered another round w/o checking when the gun failed to cycle, based on additional info by Nighthawk in the comments section. They're still going to replace it free of charge, but you can tell their opinion/demeanor changed when they got more facts than one of their guns "just split apart."

tac-40
May 28, 2016, 22:15
All of the squib caused kabooms I have seen had a bulge in the barrel where the projectile of the squib stopped. All of the damage was then caused by the pressure buildup from the followup round behind the squib. Didn't see any barrel bulging, only the cracked chamber. A squib that only moved the bullet far enough to clear the chamber, most likely wouldn't have had enough recoil to eject the empty and chamber a new one.

I am thinking it was caused by a powder charge issue and not a squib load.

d762nato
May 29, 2016, 03:26
Well that's the first time I've seen a 1911 looking like that. I used to have a 5" nighthawk 1911 in 10mm and they are accurate. I've seen pics of an Hk Usp shot with a bullet lodged in the barrel and all it did was bulge the barrel. I wonder if the heat treat just wasn't up to snuff.

raubvogel
May 30, 2016, 08:55
What if it bulged but there was enough energy to bring the slide back just fast enough to crack it with the bulged barrel? I mean we might not be able to see from pictures but they saw it well enough to measure it