PDA

View Full Version : S&W 33-1

Elwarpo
May 26, 2016, 08:08
Cool little gun, Jframe 5 shot in 38S&W with a 4" barrel. Feels like a 22 when you shoot it.

Anyone else have one?

FUUN063
May 26, 2016, 08:56
Yes, I've had several over the years, but they always seem to get sold for something a little more ammo-available at the time. They also tend to bring less at gun shows because of the caliber. I still like them, though, especially the early pre-numbered guns.

Leland
:fal:

Retired Bum
May 26, 2016, 17:06
I have a Model 33-1 somewhere in the safe. Haven't handled it for a few years now.

I chronographed Winchester 146 grain RNL factory ammo and got a very consistent velocity reading of 615 fps from the four inch barrel. This round is rated at 685 fps but current production ammo won't make that figure due to all of the old and questionable revolvers made for it over the years.

I hand load the .38 S&W using a set of Lee dies and the Lyman #358477 SWC that I cast. It weights 150 grains and using Bullseye I got 700 fps in the M33. This is basically a low end .38 Special load from a four inch barrel. The bullet is just a hair undersized at .359 inch as cast for the .360 inch groove diameter. But accuracy is quite good out to 50 feet which is the maximum distance I have ever shot the M33.

S&W discontinued the Model 32 Terrier and the Model 33 .38 Regulation Police revolvers in 1966. I have always wanted a Terrier but they are hard to find in decent shape these days. You used to be able to find WW2 era British Victory Models with the five inch barrel in gunshops back in the day. But I can't remember the last time I saw one that was as issue. Lots of them have the cylinder bored out for the .38 Special and have had the barrel cut down.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

BUFF
May 26, 2016, 18:47
I have a Model 33-1. And a Model 32-1 Terrier. Terriers have 2 inch barrels and a round butt instead of the Model 33's 4 inch barrel and square butt.

The dash-1 indicates that the guns were built on the J frame. The no dash 33 and 32 were built on the slightly shorter I frame. The J frame was introduced in 1950 with a longer cylinder and the frame having a longer opening (called the cylinder window) in the frame so S&W could build a small .38 Special, the .38 Special being too long to fit in the I frame's cylinder.

I've got several other guns in .38 S&W and have found that lead bullets, either cast or swaged, sized for the .38 Special, shoot fine in the .38 S&W. The barrel's groove diameter is the biggest dimension of the bore. The grooves are deep enough that there is plenty of rifling height to grab the bullet and spin it. In addition, lead bullets usually "bump up" or obturate enough to seal the bore behind the bullet. I've never tried reloading jacketed bullets in this caliber but they should work.

El Warpo, if you want, p.m. me your serial number and I'll look up when it shipped from S&W.

Retired Bum
May 26, 2016, 21:57
One time I loaded 50 rounds of .38 S&W with the Hornady 148 grain HBWC. Now if any lead alloy bullet will slug up to fill the barrel's groove diameters it will be a HBWC. I used the same charge of Bullseye as with the #358777. Never bothered to chronograph this load. I just put those 50 rounds together to see how they would shoot accuracy wise. I was quite pleased to find that I could put all five rounds firing single action into the ten ring of a 25 yard target center at 50 feet. Not as good as the Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece but not all that shabby either.

Buff,

I did load some Winchester 110 grain JHP's over 3.4 grains of Red Dot and chronographed ten rounds. The average velocity for those ten rounds was 852 fps. Those .357 inch diameter bullets were all over the target at 50 feet. But that was no surprise to me.

Have any of you ever seen a S&W Model 11 M&P chambered for the .38 S&W round? It was made for export to British and ex British colonies. I saw one at a gun show many years ago and it was not for sale. Just a display item.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

BUFF
May 27, 2016, 01:00
I've got a Model 11-4. It's basically a Model 10 M&P chambered for .38 S&W. Mine was made for the South African police and is marked "S.A.P." on the backstrap. 4 inch, square butt with a lanyard loop.

Most of the Model 11s were made for and exported to South Africa. Mine was part of an over-run that sat at the factory for years and then auctioned at Butterfield & Butterfield to benefit the Connecticut Valley Arms Museum, home of the S&W Historical Foundation. Mine's still new/unfired in the box. I've shot enough of the WWII Victories to know what to expect from the M-11, and don't know when I'll get around to shooting it.

Retired Bum
May 28, 2016, 15:31
Buff,

So if you don't mind me asking, what would that NIB/unfired Model 11 be worth these days?

And so it goes.

The Retired One

BUFF
May 28, 2016, 20:22
I have no idea. I paid $505.00 for it in 1997, and we all know what S&W prices have done since then. People are paying $600-$700 for older, NIB .38 Special Model 10's and pre-Models, so I guess I could get somewhere north of that. It came with a factory letter, too.

Retired Bum
May 28, 2016, 22:43
BUFF,

Thanks for the reply. I figured that it would be right at $1000 given the rarity and factoring in the high prices the older S&W's bring these days.

And so it goes.

The Retired One