PDA

View Full Version : Finally, found my perfect .22

MilsurpMonkey
May 22, 2016, 21:14
1946 High Standard HD Military with the 6.75" barrel. Been looking for one that wasn't priced crazy for a while. I love the weight and feel of these pistols. They balance perfectly for me, better than the Ruger mkII target it will be replacing. I really think these get overlooked a little more than they should. The name is a little misleading, these are actually the civilian version of the HD model and the HD USA that were sold to the military.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj486/Milsurpmonkey/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160522_190358890_zpsw3xrfmf7.jpg

ftierson
May 22, 2016, 21:21
Very nice...

Have great fun with it... :)

Forrest

J. Armstrong
May 22, 2016, 21:39
I have had several of the later HS .22s and they are great handling, very accurate pistols. Unfortunately, they were all very ammunition sensitive and the mags required a lot of tweaking to get the guns to run reliably - until you switched to different ammo. PITA. Finally sold them off and stuck with my beloved old, dead stone reliable Browning Challenger II.

Which reminds me, I need to find another CII.......

308/223shooter
May 22, 2016, 21:57
What do you want for the Ruger?

MilsurpMonkey
May 22, 2016, 22:01
My previous experience with HS pistols is similar. On these particular models I've had great luck with reliability, as long as you don't damage the very sensitive magazines. Once you tweak a mag on a high standard it's game over, and you get to find another $50 mag that isn't tweaked. One day I'd like a US property marked HD, but for now I wanted a shooter with a bit more class than the average Ruger Mk in the grouse woods :biggrin:

medicmike
May 22, 2016, 22:02
Had one of those probably 25 or 30 years ago. Never could get it to run reliably and traded it for an SKS at a funshow. Shot straight but couldn't get it to feed reliably no matter what I tried, might have been the one I had, it was heavily abused. Great shooting pistol when they work though!

MilsurpMonkey
May 22, 2016, 22:06
What do you want for the Ruger?

Not sure yet, trying to find the spare mags. Not positive I'm going to sell it yet. Plus I'm not sure where the market is on them at the moment. Kinda playing with the idea of putting a threaded mkIII barrel on it for suppressor use.

hagar
May 22, 2016, 22:46
Have you held a Beretta 76?

This one isn't mine, but almost a mirror image, except mine has a stainless slide.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-N_FIQ9enmOI/UAerO0xNwbI/AAAAAAAAiuM/MNyCMUTl8uc/s1600/76.jpg

ftierson
May 22, 2016, 23:01
I have had several of the later HS .22s and they are great handling, very accurate pistols. Unfortunately, they were all very ammunition sensitive and the mags required a lot of tweaking to get the guns to run reliably - until you switched to different ammo. PITA. Finally sold them off and stuck with my beloved old, dead stone reliable Browning Challenger II.

Which reminds me, I need to find another CII.......

Which reminds me, I need a couple of extra mags for my Challenger II. Got any...? :)

Sorry for the short hijack...

Forrest

Tuscan Raider
May 22, 2016, 23:19
Very nice MM. Don't know if you heard around the fire, but
I found one a few months ago for $175.

Sold for $350 2 weeks later. Only had 1 mag though. ;)

MilsurpMonkey
May 23, 2016, 07:28
Yeah, I remember that. Locally it's hard to find one advertised under $400. This one ended up at $300. Ran a mag through it last night and at least the test fire was flawless. Looking forward to the next plinking session with it :biggrin:

J. Armstrong
May 23, 2016, 07:28
Which reminds me, I need a couple of extra mags for my Challenger II. Got any...? :)

Sorry for the short hijack...

Forrest

Always looking myself, will keep you in mind if I find any !!!

There is a tool and instructions to adjust the mag feed lips which works pretty well. Got mine on eBay, will see if I can find a link. Problem is, it's not a case of set it and forget it - if you change ammo, odds are the mags will need another tweak, and sooner or later they are going to be beyond help, I'm thinking.

Definitely a love/hate pistol.

MilsurpMonkey
May 23, 2016, 09:12
True, and the feed lips are heat treated so the will eventually fail with constant adjustment. I find that I only shoot one or two loads from my autos, usually federal 40gr.

J. Armstrong
May 23, 2016, 10:30
Glad to hear the test firing went well ! These are such nice pistols, it is discouraging when they get cranky. Yours is a really nice example :beer:

MilsurpMonkey
May 23, 2016, 12:19
It should serve me well. I just can't seem to be happy with field guns that carry a warning label smashed into their steel.

ColeKira
May 23, 2016, 13:26
I have a HS Supermatic Citation and it loves ammo in the 1050-1125fps range.

medicmike
May 23, 2016, 14:41
Yeah, I remember that. Locally it's hard to find one advertised under $400. This one ended up at $300. Ran a mag through it last night and at least the test fire was flawless. Looking forward to the next plinking session with it :biggrin:

Awesome that it runs well for you! They do feel nice in the hand and the one I had shot well except constant feeding problems. It was probably the feed lips, I didn't know that was an issue and when I had mine it was pre-internet so I was flying blind with it.

MilsurpMonkey
May 24, 2016, 09:13
Looks like Brownells sells the mag adjustment tool, now just gotta round up a couple more original mags :)

ALL FAL
May 25, 2016, 13:38
Glad you like the HS MM, I quit the HS models some years ago as the Ruger MKI was and is so Reliable, Alaska had lots of HS pistols around, bought several in the 150.00 range and the HS is no more accurate than a Ruger or other brand.

YMMV.

MilsurpMonkey
May 25, 2016, 14:18
Glad you like the HS MM, I quit the HS models some years ago as the Ruger MKI was and is so Reliable, Alaska had lots of HS pistols around, bought several in the 150.00 range and the HS is no more accurate than a Ruger or other brand.

YMMV.
More a matter of preference. I've got a Ruger MkII Target and it shoots well, but the HS HD fits my hand like a glove.