PDA

View Full Version : Garand in Korea

raubvogel
May 22, 2016, 19:26
http://thegca.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Use-of-Infantry-Weapons-and-Equipment-in-Korea-1952-reduced.pdf

Correct me if I am wrong but the FN49 was also used there

John Crusher
May 22, 2016, 21:22
Belgian troops used the FN-49 during the War. Not U.S. troops.

raubvogel
May 22, 2016, 22:35
Belgian troops used the FN-49 during the War. Not U.S. troops.

I would not expect the US to issue FN49s to its troops. ;)

That said, my point was the rifles themselves saw action in Korea. Since this report mentioned issues with the peep sight not working well in rain and mud, I was wondering if the FN49 experienced the same issues as it too has peep sight.

MAINER
June 02, 2016, 08:50
As I remember it, NO sights worked well in rain and mud. I always thought it may be my glasses, but my buddy didn't wear them and he couldn't see shit either. You just stick the pointy end towards the enemies and pull the trigger.. :whistling:
This may be where the "Spray and Pray" method originated, not sure.

The FN was a beautifully built rifle, well fitted and finished. At least the one my friend had in 7MM was. Don't remember what country it was from, maybe Venezuela?

retired 1
June 02, 2016, 17:37
Didn't Luxembourg troops also us the FN-49 in Korea?

Parga
June 06, 2016, 02:00
As I remember it, NO sights worked well in rain and mud. I always thought it may be my glasses, but my buddy didn't wear them and he couldn't see shit either. You just stick the pointy end towards the enemies and pull the trigger.. :whistling:
This may be where the "Spray and Pray" method originated, not sure.

The FN was a beautifully built rifle, well fitted and finished. At least the one my friend had in 7MM was. Don't remember what country it was from, maybe Venezuela?

You're correct, Venezuela used the SAFNs in 7mm. Also had a distinct muzzle brake