PDA

View Full Version : I fell over this 'thing', what can you tell me about it.

NZ L1A1 Collector
May 21, 2016, 22:58
As the title says I fell over this, and couldn't get rid of it, so it followed me home.

Don't know much about them......... except its a G3FS made in April 1974. The furniture is dated either 73 or 74 and the bolt head is dated 2/74. Its interesting how easy it is to remove the bolt head from the carrier group. It doesn't have the usual black painted finish you see on other HK products, its just phosphated.

Yes, its select fire.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/nzl1a1collector/Rifles/G3FS_01sm_zpschplk8hp.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/nzl1a1collector/Rifles/G3FS_02sm_zpspnpdhawc.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/nzl1a1collector/Rifles/G3FS_03sm_zpsiql4hjpx.jpg

Conelrad
May 22, 2016, 01:11
Most tactical G3's were delivered in parkerized finish. The epoxy coating seems to be directed at the US semi-auto market; that finish costs more.

In that you say the bolt is easily removed from the carrier, is that by design or do you suspect it is worn?

Nice piece, and we're glad it wasn't cut to pieces or welded solid.

Dennis

NZ L1A1 Collector
May 22, 2016, 05:21
I was surprised at the design and how simple it was to remove the bolt head by rotating it and sliding it off. When you first look at the carrier assembly it looks quite complex.

Now to find the bayonet adapter and bayonet for it. as well as the other standard accessories like the BFA

sbl11
May 22, 2016, 09:32
How easy is it to find full auto firearms in NZ? Secondly, how easy is it to privately own them? I was recently down there and seem to have seen a few gun stores but, know that laws are pretty tough. Heck, you have laws similar to California in how an AR-15 must "look".

Thanks,

Sbl

gunplumber
May 22, 2016, 10:56
Freischwinger.

The early G3s had a consistent diameter cocking tube (Most of the Portuguese). The wood forearm (later plastic narrow) was retained by a pin that sat on top of the barrel. Eventually, this was updated to a cocking tapered at the front, onto which was affixed a hanger for the handguard pin. This removed all contact between the triple frame and the cocking tube, and between the barrel and the handguard. The barrel was now "free floating" or "Free Swinging". Freischwinger.

My understanding is the FS Models were marked thusly, until someoe grew bored with it and stopped - since all guns were now FS, marking them that way was kindof pointless. There will be factory engraved ones, and then retrofits with a hand stamped "FS"

I am curious what the two dimples are on the outside of the receiver on the trunion.

NZ L1A1 Collector
May 22, 2016, 15:59
Freischwinger.I am curious what the two dimples are on the outside of the receiver on the trunion.

The 2 dimples are in fact German eagle proof marks, the same as found on the bolt head.

Although NZ does have similar firearms laws to California for its semi automatic sporting rifles you can if you have the correct security and endorcements to your firearms license own restricted firearms like SMG, AR, LMG, Mortars, AT, Pistols etc. They don't have to be welded up, but they have to be deactivated by the removal of a part eg firing pin or bolt. We aren't allowed to use the weapons. They are 'collectables'.

hansellhd
May 23, 2016, 11:45
The 2 dimples are in fact German eagle proof marks, the same as found on the bolt head.

Although NZ does have similar firearms laws to California for its semi automatic sporting rifles you can if you have the correct security and endorcements to your firearms license own restricted firearms like SMG, AR, LMG, Mortars, AT, Pistols etc. They don't have to be welded up, but they have to be deactivated by the removal of a part eg firing pin or bolt. We aren't allowed to use the weapons. They are 'collectables'.

So do you have to keep the FP/Bolt locked up in another room, or do you have to dispose of it? What good is having a Firearm you can't shoot. Like having a Sports car you can't drive.:facepalm:

BTW Beautiful Rifle.

N4KVE
May 23, 2016, 13:54
So do you have to keep the FP/Bolt locked up in another room, or do you have to dispose of it? What good is having a Firearm you can't shoot. Like having a Sports car you can't drive.:facepalm:

BTW Beautiful Rifle.But yet many people who buy mint, unrestored Hemi, Boss 429, & COPO cars for $ hundreds of thousands never drive them. They just let them sit in temperature controlled warehouses. They buy clone cars to drive. GARY

rustypirate
May 23, 2016, 14:07
But yet many people who buy mint, unrestored Hemi, Boss 429, & COPO cars for $ hundreds of thousands never drive them. They just let them sit in temperature controlled warehouses. They buy clone cars to drive. GARY

Yup, and I don't understand that either.....:facepalm:

hansellhd
May 23, 2016, 17:01
But yet many people who buy mint, unrestored Hemi, Boss 429, & COPO cars for $ hundreds of thousands never drive them. They just let them sit in temperature controlled warehouses. They buy clone cars to drive. GARY

Gary the difference is they know they can drive it if they want to, instead of some overreaching Government telling them they can't. That is the difference
Bro.:biggrin:

Dave

NZ L1A1 Collector
May 23, 2016, 23:33

BTW Beautiful Rifle.

The part removed has to be kept separate from the weapon. We don't have to dispose of it or mutilate it.

I can see your point of view, what's the point if you can't fire the weapon. BUT at least we can own, admire, research, the item in its original state. It doesn't have to become a clone, replica, or mutilated beyond comprehension to deactivate it like the poor buggers in the UK.

Conelrad
May 24, 2016, 01:09
Where 'ownership' is oddly regulated.

Dennis