PDA

View Full Version : Ar-7 explorer value?

croftonaviation
May 17, 2016, 22:07
Just wondering. I have a chance to buy a 98% ar-7 explorer in the box with the manual for $250. Am I missing something or is this a very good deal? Also anything I need to know or look for on these. I thought it would make a good survival .22.

Thanks

Tom

pre1989
May 17, 2016, 22:16
A org Armlight made one ? Not charter etc correct ? https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuZY3z83W0b3KLJ_SdbeYVDDRQi6eQQ jLG4mdEM4rlPnRztRynZw like this ?

That price is about what the new Henry models go for

I would do it as they are org and not made any more but unless the AR7 is one the Isreal piolt models they rarly get over 300 bucks

They are good guns ..The main isssue is the mag are the feedramps for the guns where most issues come from

Charter arms model had issues ..Henerys are good

croftonaviation
May 17, 2016, 22:25
Yes, a real armalite not a Henry or charter arms.

Looks just like the pic you have but with only one mag.

J. Armstrong
May 18, 2016, 00:04
I have one - an interesting little piece but not particularly practical. Mine is neither very accurate nor all that reliable. I'd be hard pressed to trust my life to it in a survival situation.

Probably a decent price, if memory serves.

yellowhand
May 18, 2016, 00:29
Mine shoots most of the time.:whistling:

Will kill a rabbit at 50 yards, if its a big rabbit, standing perfectly still, not much wind, and if the sun and moon are in harmony with Venus on the second Tuesday every third month of odd numbered years.:facepalm:

But its fun.:biggrin:

J. Armstrong
May 18, 2016, 07:36
Mine shoots most of the time.:whistling:

Will kill a rabbit at 50 yards, if its a big rabbit, standing perfectly still, not much wind, and if the sun and moon are in harmony with Venus on the second Tuesday every third month of odd numbered years.:facepalm:

But its fun.:biggrin:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All true, even the fun part :)

TenTea
May 18, 2016, 08:15
99 & 44/100ths pure.

So pure, it floats!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1E12kWRg12s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HHollow
May 27, 2016, 16:21
Early brown armalite ar7's are worth a tad more that $300.

FALic
May 28, 2016, 01:51
The ultimate Fudd survival weapon.

Since the Air Force adopted it, it's gotta be good. I've been told every ejection seat has one. Just put it in your SUV and everything will be all right.

Of course this came from the same source that got rid of his Browning HP because it was old and they decay over time - couldn't be trusted.

Personally, I'd still be worried about the damn thing producing dinner if it was stuck into Mr. Rabbits ribs.

Whydah
June 02, 2016, 18:16
I unfortunately owned one of those POSs about 40 years ago. Worst rifle of any caliber I have ever owned. It was cute, though. It rattled around in the back of my Bronco for a few months before logic kicked in. I wouldn't buy one now if the selling price was $25, I don't care who made it.

raubvogel
June 03, 2016, 11:58
Of course this came from the same source that got rid of his Browning HP because it was old and they decay over time - couldn't be trusted.

I didn't know we had to worry about half lives with a GP35. :rofl:

yellowhand
June 03, 2016, 14:20
I bought this Henry version thing, because I wanted one, no other reason.
It is better than a rock!:biggrin:
My arm ain't what it used to be.:tongue:
I carry an M4 type AR in my Jeep at all times.
Added, a 22 LR conversion bolt and couple of 28 round mags, for smaller critters for the AR.
Very little space taken up, and if I ever needed to take small game, just pull out the BCG, replace with the 22LR one and load a mag full of 22LR.
I did placard the rifle, change iron sights to this for 22LR, after zeroing with 22 LR at 50 yards.
It wears a patrolman red dot. :smile:
Ar-7 is fun, on moonless nights when drunk and neck-ked at the lake, at least I've been told that!:whistling:

Jarhead504
June 05, 2016, 15:03
I had a Charter Arms one I sold although I never fired it. The legend is that the "pressed in" and "glued" tube that made bore had a propensity to become detached from the aluminum 'tube" into which it was secured.

I bought it as a spare rifle to carry around when we went canoogling, but I never got to use it as such. IIRC, I paid around $70 new in 1979 and sold it for $125 in 1993.

There are moments of stupitude or just sentimentality that draw me to wanting to buy a Henry model from time to time.

Jarhead

ColeKira
June 05, 2016, 15:55
I've had one for about 20 years and it's a trap line gun now. Extractor has failed and it's basically a single shot at this point!

gunseller
June 05, 2016, 20:10
I have a charter I bought in 1988, I gave $65 for a new one. They had a rep of poor quality control. If you got a good one it was good and if you did not it wasn't. I must have gotten a good one. Killed hundreds of rabbits with mine. It usually rattles behind the seat of my pickup. The only thing that keeps me from buying another one is that I can buy a 10-22 Ruger for less. With the Fed Ordiance underfolder stock that I gave $25 for it is just longer than the AR7 in its stock and less money.
Steve

HighRatMaster
June 05, 2016, 20:35
My son has an old Armalite that was given to him. Barrel fouls horrifically, a few rounds and it's half clogged, scrub it out and start over. Unreliable, doesn't like to feed, extract or eject on a regular basis with any of the better ammo. Length of pull must be 15" +, kinda awkward.

MontanaGrant
June 11, 2016, 07:13
I have one of the Explorer pistols. As close to a broomhandle as I'll ever have :rofl:

If it's kept well-lubed, AKA sopping wet she functions perfectly. It is a SUPER accurate mofo as well.

That said.....I wish it was more reliable......then again for the $65 I paid for it it isn't toooo bad.

Sig220
June 11, 2016, 09:12
I have had a AR-7 (Israeli AF model) for many years. It's as accurate as I am, if lubed will shoot forever! A fun gun that has a interesting history!

I picked up a composite barrel for it one year that was a terrible shooter. So its back to its old self now.