PDA

View Full Version : Alpine M-1 Carbine

jshema
May 12, 2016, 03:16
Aside from a bit of the history of the company manufacturing these in the early 60's, do any of you guys know about fit and function of their product? I have a line on one kind of cheap and don't want to buy junk.

Douglas Wozny
May 12, 2016, 07:29
You do know Google is your friend! In less than a minute I found this: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_alpine.html

jshema
May 12, 2016, 14:47
Yeah I already found that. I wanted to know if anyone here actually had one or handled one at some point in the last 45+ years and to give me their opinion on their quality.

mp
May 12, 2016, 17:15
Receiver is cast and crude. I use them as parts kits for USGI receivers. If you pass on it, I would be interested in it as a donor rifle for a lonely Underwood receiver I have in a box.

MilsurpMonkey
May 12, 2016, 18:57
Had one that was a 2 groove barrel (turned down 03a3) and it was a tack driver at 100yards. The receivers are iffy, the rest of the parts can be pretty nice.

jshema
May 12, 2016, 22:16
Thanks guys, I need to look at it before I would consider buying it.

Frenchkat
May 13, 2016, 23:05
Got one real cheap awhile ago. Barrel had a bulge and was unusable. The receiver wasn't very impressive.

Everything else was standard G.I. Made a good parts kit.

garandguy10
May 14, 2016, 11:07
I have an Alpine M1 Carbine receiver which is cracked at the right locking lug recess. I suspect that Alpine M1 Carbine receivers are not too good....:tongue:

19&41
May 20, 2016, 20:25
I had one with a welded on gas chamber. It shot well enough, but no one wanted to touch it when it came time to sell.

Cava3r4
June 18, 2016, 13:58
I had one that I bought used in 1993 or so (right before the clinton magazine / assault rifle ban in his "crime bill").
It was made in 1982 by some commercial outfit and was a total POS.
Factory top of the line ammo from Winchester, Federal, etc would group at EIGHT inches at 50 yards!!! (can you even call that a group?)
With the military ammo it was no difference.
I was very lucky, the gun store I bought it from gave me a 100 percent refund when I brought it to him to put on "consignment".
He remembered I bought it from him. A really good guy who who used to own RIver Valley Sports Center in MN. I believe he is retired now.
His name was Butch NXXXXXX.

jshema
June 19, 2016, 01:02
I never got to even see this one, it got sold before I even had a chance to give it a once over. Thanks for the info guys!