PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Ruger American?

Fn/form
May 11, 2016, 15:01
Interested in the the 223 Ranch model. I wouldn't expect it to be smooth but I would like to have something that's reasonably durable. I know the mags aren't the greatest. 1/8 twist is bueno.

A similar 20" Tikka runs a $200 higher, might still be the way to go.

Heat
May 12, 2016, 14:14
Isn't the 'American' rifle simply their push feed version?

yovinny
May 12, 2016, 15:12
Only in 22RF,,Havent messed with any others yet.

But, have you looked at the Mossberg also ?
It's basically the same thing but uses AR mags instead and seemed a good bit nicer to me...Also available in 762 using AR10 or M14 mags.
I havent shot either, but preferred fondling the Mossberg.

Fn/form
May 12, 2016, 20:55
Isn't the 'American' rifle simply their push feed version?

Push feed version of which model? The bolt doesn't look like any previous model I'm aware of.

I started looking for a used M70 compact 1/8 Featherweight. Don't think it's ever been offered or likely to be. CZ Micro, Tikka T3, Howa Ranchland, Guger GSR, etc. are all more than i want to pay for now. Even the Mossy MVP.

That leaves Savage Axis compact (1/9), Ruger American that I know of.

fnogger
May 13, 2016, 19:25
Push feed version of which model? The bolt doesn't look like any previous model I'm aware of.

I started looking for a used M70 compact 1/8 Featherweight. Don't think it's ever been offered or likely to be. CZ Micro, Tikka T3, Howa Ranchland, Guger GSR, etc. are all more than i want to pay for now. Even the Mossy MVP.

That leaves Savage Axis compact (1/9), Ruger American that I know of.

What about the Zastava mini-Mausers?

But of what is listed, I'd go Mossberg... or maybe Savage

Bakwa352
June 03, 2016, 17:31
You may have heard of him, but Nutnfancy does thorough no BS reviews on most of the above mentioned rifles. Here's his review of the Ruger American.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umn6kFpL-E4
I personally have a Tikka T3 and love it. Action is smooth as butter. From what I hear all are pretty much sub MOA, mine is no exception with good ammo and good shooting on my part. The only rifles I would consider better are Custom rifles, Sako's, Kimber's, or old Model 70's (IMHO).
Downside to Tikka's is all of them are built on the same long action. So .223 would be no exception. Even so, they are light at just over 6lbs unloaded and unscoped.

MountainBear
June 03, 2016, 22:13
In terms of lock, stock, and barrel, the lock and barrel seem to be pretty squared away. Reasonably smooth, reasonably durable. As for the mags, Ruger has been making rotary mags for over 50 years, so they should have it down pretty well. The stock is a bit flimsy (think limp noodle). If you are shooting offhand, then it likely won't become an issue. However, it will flex and contact the barrel of you benchrest or bipod the gun. There are a few fixes for the stock, such as gutting the forend and bedding reinforcement into it. The other option is to replace it with a Boyd's stock. Either way, it's a decent gun and worth a roll of the dice. I would probably buy it over the Tikka, at least at current prices.

Fn/form
June 04, 2016, 16:21
Thanks for the replies, All.

I heard about the initial magazine issues and they seem to have worked them out. Decent for the price point.

This won't be a bench gun at all. More a fun gun, woods walk, low cost plinking. Especially for including the ladies and adolescents.

Purchase got sidetracked for a while as I came across a barreled FN SPR action. I'm almost sold on one, will make a trip to a local store to decide between Ruger and Tikka. Likely topped with a Vortex Strike Eagle.

Nutn is... more trainwreck entertaintment to me than resource... but I'll take a look at the vid.

Bakwa352
June 05, 2016, 15:29
This won't be a bench gun at all. More a fun gun, woods walk, low cost plinking. Especially for including the ladies and adolescents.

If this is the case then I'd personally lean towards the Ruger. Love my Tikka, but this is literally what I think the Ruger American was designed as.

Nutn is... more trainwreck entertaintment to me than resource...

Agreed, but compared to other internet "resources" he's one of the more un-bias ones. Plus his overall conclusion is normally spot on IMO.

Either way, I wish you luck. Hope you find what you need.

Bandy
June 10, 2016, 13:23
Only in 22RF,,Havent messed with any others yet.

But, have you looked at the Mossberg also ?
It's basically the same thing but uses AR mags instead and seemed a good bit nicer to me...Also available in 762 using AR10 or M14 mags.
I havent shot either, but preferred fondling the Mossberg.

+1 everything I've read says the 7.62 is best with the M14 mags. Slowly building up the cash reserves to buy one.