PDA

View Full Version : AR with Conversion Kit or an MP-15/22

cavegeo
May 07, 2016, 20:28
I am thinking of putting together a regular AR and installing a 22 conversion kit for my sons birthday later this summer. But I see S&W sell a MP-15 22lr rifle for not much more that the price of the 22 conversion kit.

While I understand that a rifle with the conversion kit will not shoot as good as a rifle with a dedicated 22lr barrel. I just not sure which way to go with this.

What would you do if this were you?

Fn/form
May 07, 2016, 21:02
The M&P 22 or a dedicated upper if you *ever* think you might use it for more than a slingshot that goes bang.

Less than good accuacy is frustrating as is sight not zero'd to that combo.

Invictus77
May 08, 2016, 06:04
Blondzilla has the S&W 15-22 with a small red dot and everyone who shoots it loves it. It has fired countless hundreds of rounds without a failure as well (knock on wood).

Stoney
May 08, 2016, 11:34
AR but if you want to shoot 556, just swap out the bolt

aquaman
May 08, 2016, 12:33
I assembled a dedicated upper with a barrel from Clint Beyer. The result was a fun, accurate, reliable (with the right ammo and magazine) rimfire AR.

http://www.beyerbarrels.com/

Tim from taccom3g has good stuff too and is exceptionally helpful and knowledgable.
http://www.taccom3g.com/

I'm certain I paid much more than I would have if I went with the S&W. But... I enjoyed the exercise of putting it together. And I can later simply change the barrel if I want another .223 AR. I would not consider shooting 22lr out of an AR barrel a viable option. Inaccurate rifles are not interesting to me at all.

If you find any value in a father/son gun assembly project..... build it. If you think your boy might someday do a barrel change and turn it into a .223... Build it. Otherwise the S&W is likely a better value.

cavegeo
May 08, 2016, 13:04
I assembled a dedicated upper with a barrel from Clint Beyer. The result was a fun, accurate, reliable (with the right ammo and magazine) rimfire AR.

http://www.beyerbarrels.com/

Tim from taccom3g has good stuff too and is exceptionally helpful and knowledgable.
http://www.taccom3g.com/

I'm certain I paid much more than I would have if I went with the S&W. But... I enjoyed the exercise of putting it together. And I can later simply change the barrel if I want another .223 AR. I would not consider shooting 22lr out of an AR barrel a viable option. Inaccurate rifles are not interesting to me at all.

If you find any value in a father/son gun assembly project..... build it. If you think your boy might someday do a barrel change and turn it into a .223... Build it. Otherwise the S&W is likely a better value.

Well, after much looking around I think I have decided to go with the M&P 15/22 for this year and will save the Lower and parts for a build next year.

fuel fire desire
May 08, 2016, 14:56
Ive owned and put thousands of rounds through a CMMG conversion. In those thousands of rounds I only recall a small handful of ammo related malfunctions. The concept of dropping it into your primary rifle and shooting all afternoon for $50 while keeping all the weight, balance, and muscle memory the same was a huge plus for me. Very accurate, though POI was 4" low compared to where 5.56 would land at 25-50 yards. It is something thats 'fragile' though, so you have to be careful with storage. Once installed its solid.

I personally like the idea of the M&P/22, but didn't like the rifle itself. It just felt too light for me. But as a plink toy, especially for new and casual shooters, its great.

cavegeo
May 08, 2016, 15:30
I personally like the idea of the M&P/22, but didn't like the rifle itself. It just felt too light for me. But as a plink toy, especially for new and casual shooters, its great.

Actually being light is a plus for my young son, as he can lift my regular AR he just can't keep it up in position for long periods of time.

Timber Wolf
May 08, 2016, 19:36
I built up a dedicated CMMG upper since I already had their conversion kit. The conversion kit ran fine I just decided to build a dedicated .22 AR since I had most of the bits already. I think I had to buy their barrel and a sleeve for the conversion bolt. It runs great and is very accurate. I have friends with the M&P and they seem to like them, especially for the money.

cavegeo
May 09, 2016, 19:20
Well I went ahead and bought the M&P for my son. I think this rifle being lighter than a regular AR will help him to shoot it and not worry about him dropping it. I hope to get him interested in shooting some matches with this rifle then progress into a regular AR. Thanks

Rahatlakhoom
May 09, 2016, 19:25
The M&P 15/22 is incredible!
I've had mine for a month and it is so light and accurate you will be impressed.
I got it in 16" bbl. Fool proof.

nopec
May 12, 2016, 21:07
I started with a conversion. Then went with a dedicated upper. My issue with the various fully dedicated 22 rifles is that the lowers won't take centerfire uppers and they aren't suppressor friendly with pinned muzzle brakes.