PDA

View Full Version : Just bot a new O/U - Benelli 828U

gates
May 05, 2016, 15:21
Tired of waiting to find a pristine 1950's-60's Browning O/U - the 828U is an interesting pc., 6.5 lbs for the 28" version, shoulders well, points well - we'll see how it shoots in the coming weeks. Bot the blued version, this is going to be a hunting gun though the nickel is sure purdy...just not worth the extra $ to me.

gates
May 13, 2016, 13:11
Range report: a 6.5 lb O/U is a pleasure to carry, but you pay for it in the recoil dept, the 828u needs a bit of tweaking on drop, it shoots high for me out of the box other than that it's good to go for a FIELD gun, the recoil dampening system is a joke, my A400 with "kickoff" is MUCH more efficient (though the Beretta IS an auto).

I put a box of 7 1/2 through it shooting clays this morning, IMHO it's not a Trap gun, it will work but it will beat the shit out of you after 200 rds - as a BIRD gun... this shotgun is the shit! it's LIGHT, you can modify it to YOUR body, it's LIGHT, swings and points naturally.

If you want an upland bird gun that you can carry all day this is it. Is it worth $2500... ehh...we don't have many pheasants in Phoenix.

yovinny
May 13, 2016, 20:37
The Benelli 828 is a thing of beauty...Enjoy it ;)

I have one of the CZ ultralight's, so I can feel your pain.
Very nice to carry, but at an even 6lbs, even 1oz target loads will wear you out right quick.
My son decided to use it on clay birds one day,,,that lasted for almost a whole box of shells before he switched to the beretta gas gun instead...lol

Cheers, YV

gates
May 14, 2016, 18:58
Yep - it will be a great field gun, I made it through 1 box of low base on clays before I called it quits and I'm not a dainty guy:-), my Beretta A400 is gtg in both settings - last time I did clays with it I shot a full case and didn't feel a thing the next day... the 828u, not so much, which is unfortunate considering what the damned things cost. Given a do-over I'd probably pass considering the Beretta does both so well.

thunderchicken
May 16, 2016, 14:22
Tired of waiting to find a pristine 1950's-60's Browning O/U - .

Ah hell, I'd have sold you my pristine '60's superposed two barrel set. The Beretta will serve you every bit as well

yovinny
May 17, 2016, 07:57
Superposed are nice, but after dealing with the rusty mess inside a pair of the 60's 'saltwater' treated browning superposed,,,I'd be thrilled with a 828 :)

W.E.G.
May 17, 2016, 08:40
We ain't got many edible birds around my A.O. either.

Plenty of shitbirds though.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/shotguns/Hawk%20982/Hawk%20982%20-%20right%20side_zpsiaocwwxr.jpg

gates
May 19, 2016, 02:10
Thunder - PM me - send me some pics, I'll probably buy it! the 828 is a FIELD gun for the 50+ crowd shooting pheasants, may be fine for the 28 year old clay shooter. Can't see using this for doves without a pussy pad.

gates
May 26, 2016, 19:38
Thunder? you want to sell that shotgun? - I pm'd you and posted interest here - I'm willing to pay you what it's worth - just give me a yes or no, if it's the latter I'll drop it.