PDA

View Full Version : Colt Sauer .458

Mark IV
May 05, 2016, 07:00
Fellow on a local gun board has one for sale in fantastic condition, bluing is nearly perfect, as is the Bubinga wood stock

I still have a 1976 Colt catalog and even back then I drooled over this rifle.

He had it listed initially at $1,900, then lowered it to $1,800, but he also has it listed at $1,695 on GB with no bites.

He seems like a motivated seller. What would you pay?

gunplumber
May 05, 2016, 07:44
Caliber limits use - you going big game hunting or just to have?

GB has a grand African at $1600.

Most seem to be floating between 1800-2200 for a grade 1.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=556801728.

Personally, I find the rifle uninspiring. I like the lines of a Sauer 101 much better, in the same price range, if you're into the Euro styling. And you can get it in a caliber for general purpose hunting.

I had a sporterized '03 Springfield in .30-06 (By JP Sauer & Sohns) that was simply elegant. Got it for around $600

Mark IV
May 05, 2016, 08:11
Just to have.

I've shot .458 and it's a mule. Big game hunter I'm not. The closest I've been to Africa is Detroit.

MAINER
May 05, 2016, 09:55
$1,318. That would get me a CZ 550 Safari Magnum unless I could find a Winchester pre-64 Model 70. Actually the street price might be a couple hundred lower on the CZ.

The Colt name and the bling would be worth a couple hundred more, so the price for the Colt Sauer is not out of line for a rifle of this type.

Love the .458 Mag., but more as a cast boolit fun gun than anything to do with Buffalo and Pachyderms. My 45-70 bullets on steroids. :D

Bawana jim
May 05, 2016, 12:41
As far as collectability it should be NIB to demand top price, the next guy won't pay more if it isnt. I love Colts and would love a Colt Sauer but they are just too beautiful to hunt with and would get beat to death in the safe. 458s beat the tar out of me so I use a 338 for my elk gun but Roosevelt elk are as big as horses and travel in heavy brush here so 458 would be a good choice. Frick ing 338 I can only shoot five times so I imagine the 458 would never get worn out shooting:biggrin:

At some point in life if a man wants something he should buy it, you won't get another life.

nearmisses
May 05, 2016, 13:38
It looks used too. I never liked those actions, they looked like an amature polished them and blurred every line they should have had. Montecarlo stocks were never a design I liked either but to each his own. If you have a long neck you could need a MC. I understand having to have something if you like it, so buy it and be happy!

4x401
May 05, 2016, 18:47
The closest I've been to Africa is Detroit.

:spew:

Thanks, gota clean my monitor now, seriously..:facepalm:

Impala_Guy
May 05, 2016, 19:01
Any rifle that takes .459 or .460 dia. bullets is extremely useful. .458 win mag or Lott included. You can make some mild loads with Trailboss or other Hogdon powders that work very well on small - medium game, and still have the big game power on tap if you want it. A 450 to 500 grain bullet at 1200 - 1400 fps is a great deer cartridge out to 200 yards or so.

MACV
May 25, 2016, 12:51
I wouldn't own another 458 without a Mauser style claw extractor. Those big blunt .458 bullets need to be guided into the chamber and have positive extraction. My 1967 Win Safari doesn't have one. The 458 is a dangerous game cartridge and you don't want to be dicking around trying to chamber a follow up shot. I don't think the Colt Sauer has a claw extractor either. If I were in the market for one now I'd look at the CZ or one of the newer Win with the pre 64 (claw extractor) action.

Texas Jaguar
May 25, 2016, 14:14
Found this Big 50 Ruger #1 on GB. Yeh its a 100+ year old cartridge but it really packs a wallop! http://www.gunbroker.com/item/558565357

nearmisses
May 28, 2016, 17:29
I wouldn't own another 458 without a Mauser style claw extractor. Those big blunt .458 bullets need to be guided into the chamber and have positive extraction. My 1967 Win Safari doesn't have one. The 458 is a dangerous game cartridge and you don't want to be dicking around trying to chamber a follow up shot. I don't think the Colt Sauer has a claw extractor either. If I were in the market for one now I'd look at the CZ or one of the newer Win with the pre 64 (claw extractor) action.

MACV is deadnuts on, if it's truly for dangerous game hunting it better have controlled feeding & positive ejection period. Now, with that said I know some might disagree but it's their life, let them put their money where their mouth is. I built a few African rifles in the day and none were on any action other than Mauser type 98 style and a couple CZ550s and one 1917 Enfield. The Ruger Number One is for a guy with real balls in a dangerous game gun. Did some of those too. They were fun, except to shoot and sight in. Adrenalin can really screw up the marksman in all of us in a bad situation. Good you're only using it for fun shooting.