PDA

View Full Version : 22 rifle scope

tac-40
May 03, 2016, 21:20
I am looking to put optics on my M&P 15/22. I would like to use a 22 dedicated scope and not some big brute suitable for 1000 yds shots. So far I have looked at the Nikon ProStaff 22 rimfire scopes and I am liking the 3x9 EFR. All of the Nikon scopes have a 50 yd parallax point and the scope adjustments are based on movement at 50 yds instead of 100. I have also looked at the Leupold 2x7 VX1 scope which has almost the same specs as the Nikons except standard MOA adjustments. I have both Nikon and Luppy scopes on big bore rifles and haven't had any issues with either brand.

So are your opinions about these two and any others you might favor?

ColeKira
May 03, 2016, 21:29
Don't overlook Vortex.

Invictus77
May 03, 2016, 21:31
I don't know your real purpose so this may not apply, but I put a $40 Truglo red-dot on the wife's MP15-22 and it has shot several thousand rounds and can clang an 8" steel plate from 20 to 100 yards consistently. It has been on there for about 3 years with the original battery and everyone who shoots it get a big smile on their face. It is certainly not a MOA sight and has no magnification, but again I don't know your purpose for your 22 AR.

J. Armstrong
May 03, 2016, 21:35
I personally go with fixed power on my .22s. One is a Leupold 2.5x, the other a Leupold 4x. I find both excellent for my needs, although I really prefer the 2.5. Never a problem with either, although they don't get very rough treatment, either.

The ol' Marlin 60 has an old Tasco ( Japan ) 3x on it which gets a bit more banging around, also no problems whatsoever.

yovinny
May 04, 2016, 07:34
I have a prostaff rimfire 3-9 with the BCD reticle on a Savage 22 mag, scope made in the Philippines.
It's a full size scope and a good bit beefier than the luppy 3-9 on my hornet that sits right next to it. I believe the only difference between one being labeled 'rimfire' or a standard one is where the parallex is set, otherwise identical including reticule subtension...Not sure about the adjustments being half value or for 50yds,,I really dont think mine is, but it's a couple of years old and maybe they changed them ??
I'm not crazy about the BDC reticule with a stack of circles,,but otherwise it's been good to me, though it is a replacement because the first one wouldent hold zero.
I prefer the luppy, but for half the price the Nikon is good glass.

Cheers, YV

fnogger
May 04, 2016, 07:55
My scoped 22 rifles are target set ups - so I run a Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50 w/ AO on one and a Tasco 6-24 w/ 1/8 MOA dot on the other ...

Check the Nikon "shotgun" scopes as well as scopes intended for muzzle loaders - they'll have a fixed parallax for 50 yards or so. Also I think with any Leopold scope you can send it in and they'll set parallax for whatever distance you desire

MAINER
May 04, 2016, 09:18
Bought a Vortex Diamondback, 2-8x32 to use on a Ruger 10/22 LVT. Good glass and side parallax adjustment for any range. It has their Dead hold BDC reticle that I am liking.

Can use the thing on a grown up rifle if wanted. Not a small scope, but not huge either, looks about right on the Ruger with the heavy barrel.

For a "DEDICATED" .22 scope, have you taken a look at the Redfield Battlezone? I liked the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32 for less monies.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319400/redfield-battlezone-tac-22-rimfire-rifle-scope-2-7x-34mm-tac-moa-reticle-matte

ArtBanks
May 07, 2016, 07:36
Check out the BSA Sweet 22 6 - 18. I have one that I have been experimenting with on a Kimber 82G that I use for benchrest. For a scope that runs in the neighborhood of 150. bucks, it will surprise you and with the target turrets amazing. 1/4 min clicks and it is good down to 15 yds.

Art

tac-40
May 07, 2016, 18:24
Well I looked at all of your recommendations. Thanks for the input. After careful consideration I narrowed it down to two scopes I liked. Then the choice became how much scope did I get with my $$$ and how much overkill was there. Seems like the scopes were all about equal in performance and the reviews. So it came to the money spent. I really couldn't see putting $300+ into a scope for a .22 rifle that will be used mostly for plinking. And the accuracy of the AR 22's have been reported to be in the 2-3 MOA range. This in fact helped me finalize my decision.

So I opted for the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rifle Scope, V-Plex Rimfire Reticle, Rimfire Model CF2-31001R. It is a relatively basic .22 scope that meets what I need for this particular rifle and came in under $120 shipped..

Thanks again for your help

Fn/form
May 07, 2016, 21:08
Too late, but for a general use .22 a 1-4 or 1-6 is the bomb. I could understand higher mag for a bench gun tho.

cavegeo
May 08, 2016, 08:52
I am looking to put optics on my M&P 15/22.

I am think about giving my 10 year old son a M&P 15/22 do you think they are worth the cost compared to a conversation kit for a regular rifle?

tac-40
May 08, 2016, 09:34
They are definitely more accurate than the conversion. I would compare all of the AR style .22's and see what fits your shooting the best. I got the S&W because that was what was available in my area.

cavegeo
May 08, 2016, 10:08
They are definitely more accurate than the conversion. I would compare all of the AR style .22's and see what fits your shooting the best. I got the S&W because that was what was available in my area.

Thanks, LGS is having a sale on the M&P 15/22 so I think I will get one for my son's Birthday and build the AR kit with him next year. I just found out a local range has a Subgun/ 22 rifle match that I will try and get my son to shoot.