PDA

View Full Version : Mauser 1934 banner info needed

Guy-epic
April 22, 2016, 16:41
So I am getting a numbers matching banner 1934 Mauser (k98). I have always wanted a Mauser k98 as it was a ground breaking rifle, so many rifles to this day use technology from this rifle. I know I need to get pictures to post, but I haven't had time, or have I had more then a minute to look at it, ask a friend to look at it more, and I had it put on hold for me to get back and make my final decision on it. The bore is spotless, all numbers are matching, only down side was the stock was coated at some point. I just wanted a honest Mauser. So what should I pay? What should I look for or at? Thanks

gtodan
April 22, 2016, 16:56
http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdisplay.php?6-Mauser-Rifles-1933-to-1945-The-Nazi-Period

It's all in the pics, detailed ones at that. I have always advised to research one hour before looking one minute. I have seen many pay far too much. Probably done it myself.

What's the price for starters?

1911Ron
April 22, 2016, 16:58
When you say "coated" could it have been lacquered? If so it could be a post war replacement or it was refinished that way. If you are just looking for an example to shoot than go for it if all things look good, if you are lookng for a collectable piece this would not be it. I would suggest at least reading some threads over at Mauser collectables to get a feeling for what to look for but they are somewhat snobbish towards less than perfect rifles i.e Russian Captures.

Guy-epic
April 22, 2016, 19:40
When you say "coated" could it have been lacquered? If so it could be a post war replacement or it was refinished that way. If you are just looking for an example to shoot than go for it if all things look good, if you are lookng for a collectable piece this would not be it. I would suggest at least reading some threads over at Mauser collectables to get a feeling for what to look for but they are somewhat snobbish towards less than perfect rifles i.e Russian Captures.

Thanks for the warning up front, thankfully it's not a capture. It is a bring back from the war or so I have been told? My guess is at some point long ago it was sanded lightly and coated as the coating is over old damage. As for collectible goes? Many seem they would rather have Nazi markings all over the rifle, then just a Banner of Mauser, I really don't get it. I am very happy to have a no Nazi markings or SS stuff. I had seen a post on a page where a guy had a well documented K98 sniper rifle with markings for his kills, the guy was rather proud that he had a rifle that could of killed his grandpa, or someone's grandpa? I don't get the excitement in that. I own very little German war items, just enuff to add to my collection, to show my son what evil looks like, that is plenty for me.

Guy-epic
April 22, 2016, 20:00
http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdisplay.php?6-Mauser-Rifles-1933-to-1945-The-Nazi-Period

It's all in the pics, detailed ones at that. I have always advised to research one hour before looking one minute. I have seen many pay far too much. Probably done it myself.

What's the price for starters?

Thanks for the link, I think? Oh wow talk about info overload! I have found another page that has been great, my friend that looked at the rifle used it to check the rifle is all original parts, which so far it is. Here is the link.
http://imageevent.com/badgerdog/germanservicerifles/1934bannermauser;jsessionid=bts6wjxao1.camel_s?n=0&z=9&c=4&x=1&m=24&w=0&p=48

Arizona Highlander
April 23, 2016, 09:38
I own a “FrankenMauser” of sorts that’s similar to the rifle you’re looking at. It’s a 1934 Mauser “Banner” rifle, but sadly, it lost its original bolt ages ago, and it received an ugly, war-issue K98 bolt in its place. It headspaces good, and it makes a good shooting rifle, but it’s still a bummer.

Does the rifle’s stock have a large (maybe half-dollar sized) cartouche on the left-hand side? This surely adds to the rifle’s interest. Mine has a “DRP” marked cartouche, standing for something like “Deutsche Reichs Post” (German Post Office). Supposedly, it was purchased by German post office officials to guard mail trains. A “DRB” marked cartouche (so they say) stands for “Deutsche Reichs Bahn” (German Railways) – and is another interesting variation.

However, researchers seem to agree that many of these DRP and DRB marked rifles probably never set foot upon a train until the war years, as they were actually purchased to secretly equip and train Hitler’s SA.

What’s it worth? Mine, I figure maybe $400, but that’s just a wild guess. Yours, with a nice bore and matching numbers, would certainly be worth much more than that.

gtodan
April 23, 2016, 10:10
I am a little confused. Is this THE rifle you are interested in? I know Badger from that website. This link is for a rifle sold almost ten years ago.

:shades:

Thanks for the link, I think? Oh wow talk about info overload! I have found another page that has been great, my friend that looked at the rifle used it to check the rifle is all original parts, which so far it is. Here is the link.
http://imageevent.com/badgerdog/germanservicerifles/1934bannermauser;jsessionid=bts6wjxao1.camel_s?n=0&z=9&c=4&x=1&m=24&w=0&p=48

Guy-epic
April 23, 2016, 12:26
I am a little confused. Is this THE rifle you are interested in? I know Badger from that website. This link is for a rifle sold almost ten years ago.

:shades:

No I was given the link as it showed what to look for as in all original. I wish my stock was this nice. The only down side on mine is the stock. The wood has just been used, as was the rifle, but wood wears faster then metal does, so at some point the stock was coated to preserve it is what the owner said. Not the same rifle, just the same year and all the markings for the most part.

K. Funk
April 24, 2016, 10:51
Based on your description, I would not get too worked up over the wood, unless it really detracts. If the bore is clean and all matching, I would think 650-750 would not be out of the question. Are there any special markings on the butt, such as postal service or anything like that? Should be a nice example of Mauser workmanship.

krf

Guy-epic
April 24, 2016, 12:33
Based on your description, I would not get too worked up over the wood, unless it really detracts. If the bore is clean and all matching, I would think 650-750 would not be out of the question. Are there any special markings on the butt, such as postal service or anything like that? Should be a nice example of Mauser workmanship.

krf

No markings on wood I have found in my brief look over it. As I am only looking for a clean, fun to shoot Muaser example, I think that this is the ticket. Also since it's half the price of the range you described I am pleased with my choice. I am sure if it had a marking on the stock that could ID it to its use, then I wouldn't get it at such a deal. The story of its capture is something I will take at face value and not put much more then it's just a story. So allegedly the gent who brought it home was a part of collecting firearms inside German controlled areas. It was allegedly taken inside Germany. I can't recall if there is a specific town. It was from a guard detail I believe he had said. I think it will be fun to shoot with my Mosin Nagant, Arisaka, and others. I enjoy taking the examples out to the range for a slow day of fun target shooting.

1911Ron
April 24, 2016, 15:04
It sounds like you found the Mauser you want, enjoy! I was really surprised how mine shot and it's nothing to write home about looks wise!