PDA

View Full Version : Aguila...Good stuff ;)

yovinny
April 19, 2016, 14:31
Just to try it out, I picked up a brick of the Aguila high velocity copper plated at the creek for $40.
Besides some remmy thunder bolts, it's probably the only 22lr I've bought in years.

It's a given that 22's are very ammo sensitive,,,, but I'm just amazed how well this Mexican Aguila is shooting for me.
It shoots boring one hole groups in both the rifles I tested it out in, a 10/22 and a ruger american predator.

It got so boring shooting bug holes after a couple of boxes, I took to clipping off weeds in the yard with it instead....

I just should have bought more than one brick :cry:

Cheers, YV

Grinder
April 19, 2016, 17:58
It has been showing up at ammo sellers lately
Keep your eyes open

hardass
April 19, 2016, 21:27
http://www.ammofast.com/collections/22lr

I've ordered from these guys before. Get your order in before 3:00pm and they ship the same day.

Jaxxas
April 19, 2016, 21:44
Great ammo! I bought a couple of cases a couple of years back from CMP that I'm still working through.

ALL FAL
April 19, 2016, 22:05
Sure would like to get to the bottom of the .22 american ammo problem, the manufuc.kers say they are maxed out on production, somehow I just Do NOT believe them. CCI ripped me off when a stinger blew up a nice .22 rifle, they wanted to see it and never returned it, I built it from parts and it was headspaced correctly, tack driver. Last time I will ever trust them or buy their products.

yovinny
April 20, 2016, 10:54
Sure would like to get to the bottom of the .22 american ammo problem, the manufuc.kers say they are maxed out on production, somehow I just Do NOT believe them. CCI ripped me off when a stinger blew up a nice .22 rifle, they wanted to see it and never returned it, I built it from parts and it was headspaced correctly, tack driver. Last time I will ever trust them or buy their products.

I've had no issues with CCI, but I do have an issue with the last case of remmy blue label target ammo I bought some 5-6 years ago.
I shot small bore competition for years with blue label target and never had an issue or problem. It was my 'goto' for a whole slew of both rifles and pistols..But that last case is just crap,,,it just wont shoot good in anything.

Timber Wolf
April 20, 2016, 17:42
Just to try it out, I picked up a brick of the Aguila high velocity copper plated at the creek for $40.
Besides some remmy thunder bolts, it's probably the only 22lr I've bought in years.

Thunderbolts? What's next, Winchester Wildcat? Oh the humanity!:uhoh:

fnogger
April 20, 2016, 18:34
I've had no issues with CCI, but I do have an issue with the last case of remmy blue label target ammo I bought some 5-6 years ago.
I shot small bore competition for years with blue label target and never had an issue or problem. It was my 'goto' for a whole slew of both rifles and pistols..But that last case is just crap,,,it just wont shoot good in anything.

I've never gotten worthwhile accuracy from the Remington Target offerings... or the RWS offerings... or Federal ... The Ultra Match or $20/box RWS and Ely stuff may be good, but I'm not gonna pay that for rimfire, even if it is Olympic competition quality.

The Aguila I've tried was a few years back and it was good, and whatever "target" offering I tried was equal to CCI SV at least, which has been my standard "go to" for cheap but quality ammo.

For target work (ie, very small groups at 50 yards, dum dum suckers at 50-100 yards, 1/5 scale sillywets at 125 and 150 yards) I'm *very* happy wtih the Lapua/SK/Wolf offerings, specifically the SK Std+ ($65-70 per brick delivered when I order 2)

yovinny
April 21, 2016, 08:58
Thunderbolts? What's next, Winchester Wildcat? Oh the humanity!:uhoh:

LOL..:)
Actually, my little Henry lever squirrel gun is sure no tack driver, but does it's best with Thunderbolts or Stingers.

Texgunner
April 21, 2016, 13:10
LOL..:)
Actually, my little Henry lever squirrel gun is sure no tack driver, but does it's best with Thunderbolts or Stingers.

Vinny, I've had my eye on a Henry .22 lately. It's the plain, blued version. Are you happy with yours?

I recently bought a 1950 ZKM 468 (CZ) single-shot bolt to help train the grandsons when they're of age. I need a .22 lever gun to round out my rimfire rifles.

ALL FAL
April 21, 2016, 15:01
But the Henry is a good looker if that's what your after. :)

yovinny
April 21, 2016, 15:59
I have the standard blue carbine, it was pretty cheap a hand full of years ago.
Some little pieces are plastic and it's no tack driver, but it's a nice fun little gun and actually my dil's favorite when she comes out. I have a short, little, 4x single post scope on it that isesnt any longer than the receiver. Some older, cheap, Chinese made thing, but I havent found any decent glass that wasent twice as long and looks out of place IMHO.

It shoots a healthy inch at 50yds with ammo it likes, but it's good enough for fun and squirrels and would probably do better with good glass.
It dosent stick out farther than the fenders on my little 250 4 wheeler, so it fits my purpose good and I like it well enough.
But I have to admit, I usually take one of the Savage HB's as I'm usually wanting better accuracy.

The older 39a's have a good rep and are very nice, but have gotten collector priced IMHO. Some seem to get great accuracy out of them, but the one I had was a dog...Then again, I've never had much luck with any Marlins....

Cheers ,YV

BigBoy1
April 25, 2016, 12:08
I was fortunate enough to buy 25K rounds when it was $0.03 per round. (This was 25+ years ago.) I'm still shooting it and most of it is going through my machine guns which have .22LR adapters. They just love the ammo.

ratas calientes
April 30, 2016, 18:12
. . . I built it from parts and it was headspaced correctly, tack driver. Last time I will ever trust them or buy their products.
If you don't mind me asking, how does one headspace a .22LR?
For example, would that be the depth in a bolt that is at least the thickness of the rim? Or something else?

yovinny
April 30, 2016, 22:49
For example, would that be the depth in a bolt that is at least the thickness of the rim? Or something else?

Good question...I'm curious about that myself :)

I've barreled a few cheaper pinned barrel rifles, but those were just cut to duplicate what was there already.

There is some variance is rims too...I've got a gauge somewhere with an indicator to check rim thickness, just a shop made copy of the bald eagle one.
But I havent used it in years,, dont see much need for what I've been shooting.

Bwana John
May 01, 2016, 12:40
I headspace .22s that have a slip fit barrel (Rem 504) by chambering the match ammo I plan on shooting in it, slipping the barrel into the receiver, and tightening the barrel on with some forward pressure.

I know of a gunsmith that headspaces by setting back the barrel shoulder on stock 10/22s and 77/22s barrels and rechambering.

I enjoy shooting the quiet Aguila Colibre in pistols and Super Colibre in rifles.

The Aguila 60 grain .22lr bullets hits prairie rats like a golf club.

ColeKira
May 01, 2016, 12:45
I can pick up a brick of Aguilla locally for $29-$32 occasionally.

SWOHFAL
May 01, 2016, 20:48
IIRC, American Rifleman did an article on them a while back and their .22 and shotgun shells got high marks, while the centerfire pistol was decent and the centerfire rifle ammo had a few issues in AR platforms with duds; no centerfire stuff was match quality in performance.

yovinny
May 02, 2016, 07:43
I've never used any of their center fire fodder, outside of the nickle cased 230gr fmj 45acp that Century Arms pushed cheap back in the early 90's.
I loved that stuff and still have a case or 2 stashed deep,,,Wish I had the money back then to have bought a container load :)

ALL FAL
May 26, 2016, 22:12

Well as there are screwed in and pinned barrels and many types of bolts, basicly you don't want the bolt closing in battery and smashing the rim of the case.

Several ways to "Tune" a .22, some buy drop in parts, I tune the Old fashioned way, by hand and eye with common sense. Some machining and welding can be required, but, that is the fun part for me.