PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Iron Sight Question

ByrnieMac
April 11, 2016, 18:44
Hey guys, my Google searching isn't turning up what I need, and I'm hoping you guys can help.

I need some sights for a build that are made for Novak's Lo Mount cuts, and are red fiber optic dots, and the rear sight has to be adjustable for windage and elevation.

First one to help a brother out with this gets enough money for a six pack in the mail:beer:

CG&L
April 11, 2016, 19:51
I know you need an elevation adj rear sight but is the Novak lo mount cut on the slide for an adjustable or non-adjustable rear sight?

ByrnieMac
April 12, 2016, 06:37
Most are non-adjustable, but I have found a couple that are fully adjustable. Just don't have the fiber optic dots like I'm looking for.

CG&L
April 12, 2016, 07:16
The cut on the slide. Is the cut for an adj or non-adj rear sight.

There's a slight difference. A non-adj sight cut can easily be cut to accommodate an adjustable sight. I don't know if you're willing to make the cut

notfrommt
April 12, 2016, 08:25
Kensight should have what you need.

http://stores.kensight.com/

ByrnieMac
April 12, 2016, 09:19
The cut on the slide. Is the cut for an adj or non-adj rear sight.

There's a slight difference. A non-adj sight cut can easily be cut to accommodate an adjustable sight. I don't know if you're willing to make the cut

The slide has a Novak LoMount sight cut, not the Novak Adjustable sight cut, however I have come across some rear sights that fit the LoMount cut and are also adjustable

Kensight should have what you need.

Kensight has an adjustable white dot rear sight for the Novak LoMount, but no red fiber optic like I'm looking for. I'll probably end up getting the white dot ones if I can't find what I'm looking for

hueyville
April 17, 2016, 06:00
For what it's worth purchased three pistols with three dot sight setups in past two years. Two became a daily carry pretty quick and had white dots. Took about a month and between shooting and nature of my job (crawling around in underground locations, digging in dirt, servicing trucks) was not long before so much crud was in the rear sights that resembled a front sight single dot system.

Was so much easier and faster to pick up front sight did some experimenting, having a paint department at shop it's easy to do color so first cleaned well, shot and carried a couple weeks. As rear site got dirty again, more it differed and became subdued color, quicker I picked front sight. So cleaned again and then experimented with bright contrasting colors and subdued. Finally ended up with a dark grey that has very little contrast from black sight blade but some.

If snap shooting for speed, the white front with subdued rear really jumps out without confusing my eye if need to push the front sight and fire fast. If slowing my roll and want to line up sights for slower and more precise shooting still have the subdued color rear dots which do their job. For A Zone shooting from draw and hitting multiple targets fast having front sight bright white and rear low color contrast can let eye naturally find the front sight and put on target.

Over years have had several sets of tritium sights fade. Also just put tritium in front post of some pistols and rifles. Now as notice sights naturally fading just replace tritium in front. With a bright glowing front post and keep old rear not as bright and competing for eyes focus, feel faster and more effective with a dim set of rear dots just inches from eye and the front sight way out there being brightest object in line of fire.

Put the bright fiber tube sights on my slug gun. Began with yellow front and orange rear. Swapped to orange front and yellow rear and tried that. After lots of experimenting with front tube color and rear blades finally settled on the pain black factory rear sight blade and bright green front. As with my other dot type sights my eye picks up the bright, almost glowing" front really fast if need to launch slug on quick pop up target but if have a five gallon can at 75 to 100 yards just slow down a little and make sure the glowing front is finely centered in rear sight notch. Every fiber rear tried overwhelmed my eye. Know we are all different and the way the eye and brain are programmed to work together suggest whatever rear you order, try to get one with interchangeable rear blades so able to experiment with dot/tube color best for you.