PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 70 production

moonbat60
April 10, 2016, 18:30
Hey guys,

is there any way to look up or otherwise figure out how many of a certain model of the M70 were made?

I would like to know how many of the Winchester model 70 Laredo were made between 1996 and 1998.It cannot be that many because they were only made for two years and then discontinued.

Thanks !

Invictus77
April 10, 2016, 18:36
http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/faq/date-your-firearm.html

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslookup.php?file=winxx70.dat

I loves me sum uh da mod 70s :)

K. Funk
April 10, 2016, 18:42
The S/N's won't tell you how many Laredo's were made, I don't think they had unique S/N's. I did see one reference where 125 7mm STW's were made. I don't know what all calibers they were offered in. I think they were custom shop made. I'll dig a round a bit more.

krf

moonbat60
April 10, 2016, 20:31
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

garandguy10
April 10, 2016, 22:33
Is very well used 1941 model 70 in 30-06 with a poorly drilled and tapped receiver worth anything?

Original finish, very worn and original finish wood stock. It has been on a million hunts and it shows, bore is very good though.

tdb59
April 10, 2016, 22:37
Is very well used a 1941 model 70 in 30-06 with a poorly drilled and tapped receiver worth anything?

Original finish, very worn and original finish wood stock. It has been on a million hunts and it shows, bore is very good though.

Sure.

PM me with price.

MAINER
April 11, 2016, 10:53
Quote;
"Is very well used 1941 model 70 in 30-06 with a poorly drilled and tapped receiver worth anything?"

Yeah, ditto what he said. ^^^

May not be worth anything to a collector, but for those of us that come alive at the mention of a pre-64 M 70, it's like finding an old friend to spend some time with.

yovinny
April 11, 2016, 14:48
What they said ^^^

Prewar Winchester 70's in 30-06 were used as sniper rifles by Marines in WWII...Both service and private purchase rifles...A 1941 produced rifle fits that to a tee and would make for a good representation of those....
I have a 1940 myself,,,But I might be game if those before me pass.

Cheers, YV

MAINER
April 11, 2016, 21:00
By chance, happened upon a pre-64 M70 for $600 today and in pretty nice shape too. Serial no. places it as a 1952 production. It was a .270 so I gave it a pass.

The shop had Winy 88's, 100's and a great $600 shooter grade M 64 in .30-30 also.

yovinny
April 12, 2016, 07:44
a great $600 shooter grade M 64 in .30-30 also.

Rifle or carbine length ?
I've owned a bunch of 94 carbines over the years, but always lusted over a M64 in rifle length.

MAINER
April 12, 2016, 10:53
Rifle or carbine length ?
I've owned a bunch of 94 carbines over the years, but always lusted over a M64 in rifle length.

Rifle, 24" barrel. Don't think I've ever seen a 64 with any other barrel length, but George says some were made with 20" barrels.

The booger is, Bubba inletted one of those damned compasses into the left side of the Buttstock. :redface:

yovinny
April 12, 2016, 14:59
The booger is, Bubba inletted one of those damned compasses into the left side of the Buttstock. :redface:

Arrrgh :facepalm:

acpat
April 20, 2016, 03:04
I was given a quick rundown on m70's once by a collector.
1.1964-present
2. 1953-1964 Controlled round feed with lower quality control standards. lowered standards cause after producing millions of rifles for war effort it was harder to keep the tolerances on wore out equipment and tooling.
3. 1941-1953 good example of American winchester. tight tolerances, controled round feed etc.
4. pre war II. ANY model 70 or any other winchester/remington before WWII is highly collectable. This is because all parts are milled on tooling prior to the war.
Don't know how much of that is fact or just a old collectors rambling but it made sense. Everyone wants pre 64, when pre 53, or pre wwII, is what you really want to find.

yovinny
April 20, 2016, 11:12
I was given a quick rundown on m70's once by a collector.
1.1964-present
2. 1953-1964 Controlled round feed with lower quality control standards. lowered standards cause after producing millions of rifles for war effort it was harder to keep the tolerances on wore out equipment and tooling.
3. 1941-1953 good example of American winchester. tight tolerances, controled round feed etc.
4. pre war II. ANY model 70 or any other winchester/remington before WWII is highly collectable. This is because all parts are milled on tooling prior to the war.
Don't know how much of that is fact or just a old collectors rambling but it made sense. Everyone wants pre 64, when pre 53, or pre wwII, is what you really want to find.

FWIW,
I've heard said from a few accuracy smiths that the machining precision and metallurgy in the current manufactured Winchester 'pre 64' style actions and barrels are head and shoulders above anything they ever produced before and dont require any truing work...
Sacrilege I know,,,But that would make the new ones the best of any.

Heat
April 20, 2016, 11:29
FWIW,
I've heard said from a few accuracy smiths that the machining precision and metallurgy in the current manufactured Winchester 'pre 64' style actions and barrels are head and shoulders above anything they ever produced before and dont require any truing work...
Sacrilege I know,,,But that would make the new ones the best of any.

I hear they are made in Portugal--any truth to that? I ask because I remember at first I had heard they moved to South Carolina to get away from organized labor.

yovinny
April 20, 2016, 11:59
I hear they are made in Portugal--any truth to that? I ask because I remember at first I had heard they moved to South Carolina to get away from organized labor.

AFAIK, made at the FN plant in SC,,,Never heard of Portugal before,,Except thats where BHP's are put together ??

Heat
April 20, 2016, 12:09
AFAIK, made at the FN plant in SC,,,Never heard of Portugal before,,Except thats where BHP's are put together ??

I went to their FAQ section and found this--just an FYI

Winchester Model 70.

It is no secret that Winchester Repeating Arms is part of the greater Herstal Group, with factories all around the world. The best factories are used for each model. Some assembly and some production of Model 70s has been shifting to our Viana, Portugal plant as indicated on the barrel inscription on some rifles. USA-made guns are marked as such. Many Model 70 bolt action rifles were produced at our factory in South Carolina, U.S.A. for several years. Previous production was at the New Haven, Connecticut factory. That factory closed in 2006. The origin of each Model 70 is marked on the barrel. Generally today, key parts are likely sourced in the U.S. and worldwide and the rifle assembled in Portugal. This place of manufacture and assembly will be indicated on the barrel. Some hunters and shooters have reasons for purchasing only Made In USA firearms. We understand. But it would be incorrect to base your decision to not buy a Model 70 from our Portugal plant due to a fear of poor performance. Model 70s made and/or assembled in Portugal have stellar quality, accuracy and overall performance that matches or exceeds any production Model 70s ever in our history.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/faq/where-are-winchester-firearms-manufactured-.html

ismith
April 20, 2016, 14:27
I have a circa 1938 Model 70 in 30-06. It has heavy hunting wear, the bolt is the slickest I've ever felt, and the trigger is absolutely perfect. It wears a well worn Lyman Alaskan with a Lee Dot reticle. While the bore shows wear, it will shoot a pet load into a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards, and averages 1 1/2 inches with Greek M2. It is my favorite hunting rifle to shoot and I'll probably be packing it in the mountains this year while chasing mule deer and elk.

http://s739.photobucket.com/user/madisonvalleywapiti/media/1938%20Winchester%20Model%2070/DSCN1098.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

Texgunner
April 20, 2016, 14:53
Mr. Smith, that's one cool looking rig! :whiskey:

yovinny
April 20, 2016, 15:48
I went to their FAQ section and found this--just an FYI

Winchester Model 70.

It is no secret that Winchester Repeating Arms is part of the greater Herstal Group, with factories all around the world. The best factories are used for each model. Some assembly and some production of Model 70s has been shifting to our Viana, Portugal plant as indicated on the barrel inscription on some rifles. USA-made guns are marked as such. Many Model 70 bolt action rifles were produced at our factory in South Carolina, U.S.A. for several years. Previous production was at the New Haven, Connecticut factory. That factory closed in 2006. The origin of each Model 70 is marked on the barrel. Generally today, key parts are likely sourced in the U.S. and worldwide and the rifle assembled in Portugal. This place of manufacture and assembly will be indicated on the barrel. Some hunters and shooters have reasons for purchasing only Made In USA firearms. We understand. But it would be incorrect to base your decision to not buy a Model 70 from our Portugal plant due to a fear of poor performance. Model 70s made and/or assembled in Portugal have stellar quality, accuracy and overall performance that matches or exceeds any production Model 70s ever in our history.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/faq/where-are-winchester-firearms-manufactured-.html

Seems like they moved assembly there,,I wasent aware of that. But FN has assembled their BHP's there for a long time and they own USRA (winchester). I dont know exactly when the BHP switch was, but my pair of newer 1991' made bhp practicals say made in Belgium assembled in Portugal.

Fn/form
April 21, 2016, 22:14
FWIW the FN P-12 pump 12ga is mfrd in Portugal.