PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive HK91/G3/CETME type rifle

Dlagrua
April 10, 2016, 10:00
I always liked the HK91/G3 rifles but the prices on these today hover between $2,500-$3,000 and that didn't fit the budget . In the past Century assembled some CETME rifles but those were not built well and many owners had problems with them.
Recently Century came out with a different version of this rifle that uses a PTR 91 upper receiver, barrel (US Made) and lower receiver and combined it with new CETME surplus internal parts. The result is the Century 308 rifle.
I had the opportunity to recently shoot this rifle and my experience was excellent. The form, fit, function and appearance of this rifle was outstanding. Smooth reliable feeding, comfortable recoil and after adding a 3X scope (to the Picatinny rail welded on top) I was able to achieve 2" @100 yd groups with surplus Portugese 7.62 x 51 NATO (.308) ammunition.
This rifle offers the opportunity to own a nice HK91 type rifle at an affordable price but after the parts supply runs out no more will be made.
Take a look:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/dlagrua/CenturyC308_zpst89rs20o.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/dlagrua/media/CenturyC308_zpst89rs20o.jpg.html)

Conelrad
April 10, 2016, 12:49
For this build run.

Previous were done by drunken monkeys.

Add a better trigger and your groups will halve.

Dennis

Dlagrua
April 10, 2016, 21:09
For this build run.

Previous were done by drunken monkeys.

Add a better trigger and your groups will halve.

Dennis

Must agree that the Century CETME's of the past and most of their other rifles were pure junk probably assembled by unskilled labor. I was not very impressed with the FAL as well. Even the barrels on their AK variants of today are particularly soft and can distort with rapid fire.
This is the only Century rifle that I have tested of good quality. As stated, the .308 rifle is 1/2 new US made PTR parts and 1/2 new CETME surplus parts. The rifle looks brand new in every respect but the only flaw is the 5 rd mag that is included doesn't feed very well. Std HK mags do.
Rumor has it that PTR may have been the contractor that did the final assembly as they are Century's warranty service point. PTR makes very good HK clones but at a far higher price point. In any case Century seems to have gotten it right on the rifle that I tested. The trigger is a typical HK91/G3/CETME long heavy pull military type and that could use improvement but I got some pretty tight groups with it. It is unknown what the effect of a reworked trigger group would have but its bound to help.
The C308 will be produced in limited quantities (until the CETME parts run out) and it appears to be selling well. Only time will tell what other users will experiences with this rifle.

hansellhd
April 11, 2016, 09:38
I would rather spend the extra $200, and get the PTR91.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CUE1l-2yR3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AGG
April 11, 2016, 10:59
PTR!!! :)

Tony

Dlagrua
April 11, 2016, 15:49
PTR!!! :)

Tony

The PTR would appear to be the safer bet but I would expect that for $300 more. The guy in the video above experienced a broken firing pin that Century replaced but most of the reports coming in on this rifle are pretty positive. My rifle feeds and works flawlessly and the 2" groups are as good as what you will get with the PTR. Perhaps I just got lucky and received a rifle that was built and assembled correctly.