PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700

J MOSBY
April 09, 2016, 07:01
I have a brand new Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20" threaded barrel, bare naked. A friend of mine will be here shortly with a Bell and Carson M40 stock, green. He wants $150 for it. Is this something I should do or not? I have heard a good report on the Fat Bastard muzzle break and I think I want one, good or not? I need a good bi-pod, ideas? Let's talk about a scope later. Thanks for your help.

kotengu
April 09, 2016, 07:44
I have a Bell & Carlson stock and like it a lot. $150 is a fair price, so I'd do it - assuming the stock fits you and has the features you want.

I don't like muzzle brakes in general, so I can't comment on the Fat Bastard. For a bipod I'm still a fan of the good old Harris, although there are a lot of good options out there nowadays.

gunplumber
April 09, 2016, 07:51
If you're going to replace the stock, it may as well have theadapter for the AI magazine.

J MOSBY
April 09, 2016, 08:20
What is an A1 magazine? And how can I order your video, I've been wanting one for years. The factory stock feels good, to me, and seems to have a good butt pad but the front end seems to be too flimsy. Also checking around a bit there seems to be several M40's so I am a little confused. One of my friends says that the FB muzzle brake reduces a lot of kick back which sounds good to an old and weak guy.

gunplumber
April 09, 2016, 08:34
AI not A1.

Accuracy International. It's the pattern standard for magazine fed Rem 700. Also made by Ruger and others. Available in 5 and 10 round although I've never been happy with the 10s.

A number of companies make the floorplates and many companies make their stocks pre-inletted for it.

Email me to order any of my gunsmithing tutorial sets.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/ars-misc/page-ars-misc.shtml

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/scar/tmg-collection-scar-17-10.jpg

Fn/form
April 10, 2016, 09:27
I have a brand new Rem 700 SPS Tactical 20" threaded barrel, bare naked. A friend of mine will be here shortly with a Bell and Carson M40 stock, green. He wants $150 for it. Is this something I should do or not? I have heard a good report on the Fat Bastard muzzle break and I think I want one, good or not? I need a good bi-pod, ideas? Let's talk about a scope later. Thanks for your help.

What's the intended use? What's your budget?

I'd see how it shoots first. I'm guessing 308? When you say bare naked I'm guessing you mean with stock but no scope et cetera.

That M40 interpretation offers some advantages of precision shooting stock but now is close to the weight of a full on, lighter precision stock such as McM A3. Can't beat that price though and if you don't like it... I bet you can find someone wanting to do exactly the same as you.

On brakes... this guy has my attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkEcALGfg5g

This article has some interesting points to make:
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

IIRC, the Terminator was specifically excluded from that last test for some reason.

J MOSBY
April 15, 2016, 20:38
Thanks a bunch guys, I'm sorry about my erratic posting but I am driving full time to support my addiction. I have the B&C stock now. T3 Terminator brake? Sound right? If you think about as good as anything else I'll try to get one on the way.

Jarhead504
April 16, 2016, 23:24
Brother Mosby: Forsake the bipod, if at least for a while. Make it your last accessory. I'd spend the money on getting a full-metal trigger guard from Brownell's first, or when you spend on your mount and rings, go a little more for extra quality. If/when you go for a bipod, I would go for the GG&G or ones equivalent in robust design or militree approved.

Jarhead

L Haney
April 17, 2016, 05:58
Available in 5 and 10 round although I've never been happy with the 10s.

What is the issue you've found with the 10 round magazine?

Fn/form
April 17, 2016, 12:43
Thanks a bunch guys, I'm sorry about my erratic posting but I am driving full time to support my addiction. I have the B&C stock now. T3 Terminator brake? Sound right? If you think about as good as anything else I'll try to get one on the way.

If you're looking for the most recoil reduction then the T3 seems to have it. If any of the similar designs are an indication... they the T3 is also going to be very loud to the sides. That chart at the blog site was interesting--the loudest brakes were the most effective on recoil. If highest dBs are a concern you might want to choose something else.

J MOSBY
April 17, 2016, 17:45
Gosh, I didn't think it was going to be this complicated getting a brake. I don't care for a lot of noise especially if it is directed toward my ears. Maby a middle of the road brake that does a pretty good job all around would be a better choice.

CG&L
April 17, 2016, 18:57
There are a lot of muzzle brakes out there and, as you know there are pros and cons for all of them

What most rifle smiths recommend is the Shrewd. It's a symmetrical brake, meaning the holes are all the way around.
There will be a ground signature. If you're a ninja, this may not be the brake for you

It's not a loud brake as far as brakes go. This is a big selling point for me.
Your rifle in 308 in't going to have a lot of recoil anyway
Shrewds sell for around $48

I'll go against the recommendations given here. I use and recommend a Harris bipod
9-13" notched leg with swivel

Invictus77
April 17, 2016, 19:24
I'll go against the recommendations given here. I use and recommend a Harris bipod

My too with a small caveat.

If your receiver is bedded correctly and the barrel is floated, the Harris QD stud mounted bi-pod is the way to go IMHO and will have zero effect on POI outside of giving you a good rest for steadiness. YMMV.

J MOSBY
April 23, 2016, 09:12
I wonder why flash reduction was not mentioned. The baking soda test might be an indication of flash reduction, if so the shrewd is the winner in that category but ground signature would be a problem for me unless I put a pad down when firing.

Fn/form
April 23, 2016, 10:37
His blog is a sporting blog, that's why. The best flash hider is probably a can anyway. Surefire has the Warcomp though. Their cans are $$$ but it's a natural choice if you're going to get one of their cans.

Have you shot your rifle / stock combination yet? A heavy 308 isn't too bad and if you want flash suppression you can probably prioritize that without having too much recoil to begin with.

J MOSBY
April 24, 2016, 08:43
I have not shot it, I don't have a scope yet and it may be one of the last things I get. I have already started my frenzy because of the one coming in a short few months. After a few more fedX deliveries I will be looking for a scope.