PDA

View Full Version : Revolver "melt job" pictures?

Hot Diggity
April 04, 2016, 15:03
Hi All,

Some time ago I saw a few pictures of a Ruger SP101 that had been subjected to an extreme dehorning, which the owner called a melt job.
I thought it was beautifully done, and the SP101 certainly has enough angles that it can benefit from some rounding.

Trouble is, I can't find the pictures of that revolver anywhere. I believe they were here on the FAL Files, but much searching has turned up nothing. Anybody have any melt job pictures to share?

HD

ByronF
April 04, 2016, 17:14
I softened one up a long time ago. Like a decade ago. Could it be that one?

ByronF
April 04, 2016, 17:16
Maybe not. Mine was far from extreme dehorning.

ColeKira
April 04, 2016, 18:16
Geminicustoms.com does awesome work on Rugers.

Hot Diggity
April 04, 2016, 20:49
I've seen some of the Geminicustoms jobs, but they are mild compared to the one I am looking for the pictures of.

ALL FAL
April 05, 2016, 01:01
Keep Digging for it man, or Melt your own, you have the Melt in your head.

I had a melted model 29, Belly gun, slick as could be, I miss that one.

nvcdl
April 05, 2016, 08:59
SP101 could use a melt job. I took a dremel to the one I had as the edges would tear my hands up shooting hot loads.

Hot Diggity
April 05, 2016, 13:59
My plan is to do my own as soon as I find a likely candidate. Was looking for pictures as inspiration. :)

ALL FAL
April 05, 2016, 16:55
Google "Melted" SP101, there are many "Melters" out there and pics too.

Retired Bum
April 05, 2016, 16:57
Or you could get extreme and turn it into a wannabe "Fitz Special".

Cut the barrel down to the bare minimum and of course no front sight. Cut off the trigger guard and thin the sides of it. Cut the butt down to reduce the height and make yourself some extra thin grips. Remove the hammer spur and grind off the single action sear notch.

Then do the melt job and get the thing refinished.

Then wonder why you butchered up a decent revolver in the first place.....

I have seen this done to a Colt 1st Issue Cobra and the result wasn't pretty. The so called gunsmith offered to do a similar job on my first year production S&W Model 60. He couldn't understand it when I declined his idiotic offer.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

AZ Dave
May 03, 2016, 22:16
I'd like to do one as well. Find a revolver that is sound mechanically but beat up.

slavicshooter
May 31, 2016, 21:24
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79181&pp=40&page=3