PDA

View Full Version : M14 training film

W.E.G.
March 31, 2016, 13:15
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gGyCEdGd_D0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Retired Bum
April 13, 2016, 21:03
I remember watching that training film in army basic in 1963. But I wasn't issued a M14 until Jan 1964 when I was assigned to Germany. The M14 I was issued was made by Winchester. Every M14 in the company arms room was made by Winchester and they were consecutively numbered.

We were required to visit the arms room once a month to draw our assigned rifle and clean it. Finally in July after being in the army for 14 months my company went to a KD range and qualified with these new M14's. And that was the only time I shot that rifle although I didn't leave Germany until Mar 1966. In 1965 my battalion qualified with the M14 ball point pen if you know what I mean.....

In Vietnam I was issued an SA made M14 along with five magazines, a bayonet, a sectioned cleaning rod with tools, five 20 round boxes of Lake City M80 Ball and two 60 round bandoleers. We kept our weapons in the hootches we barracked in. Every 60 days my company would load up in trucks and go to a nearby ARVN basic training camp to shoot the M14. Sixty rounds would be fired and we would be given a bandoleer of rounds as replacement ammo.

The new M16 rifle was being issued to the USMC 3rd Amphib Force at Phu Bai. But my outfit kept the M14. Given the lack of cover for any attacking force against our compound the M14 with its longer range and more powerful round was the right weapon to have IMHO.

And so it goes.

The Retired One