PDA

View Full Version : Market seems extremely flat

mingthemerciles
March 28, 2016, 09:43
Any clues as to what is going on?
Here in Ohio, no one seems to be buying or selling..
Prices on AK'S and FAL's have tanked. Nothing really to speak of in the way of "Neat stuff" for sale. And the only ones actually posting anything on Gunbroker or Armslist are asking well above retail prices on used firearms and or parts..
Just curious if its like that everywhere else..

pre1989
March 28, 2016, 15:36
I am guessing it is the poltical climate ..Most people are hanging onton them for Nov to see what comes ...

That and a lot of the wars in the Mid east have strained production a bit for some of the factories in Bulgria etc so some guns are not being imported any more or are limited in import

Bandy
March 28, 2016, 16:57
^^^^^ odds are this is the most accurate assessment. In my AO however prices have not tanked OP. If they did Id have many more rifles in my collection.

Jarhead504
March 28, 2016, 17:01
Not many people have much disposable income to spend on high priced firearms right now. The oil business has taken it pretty hard in the shorts around here. If you check out the Craigslists in this area, there are lots of good deals on boats and motorcycles and other non-essential stuff. Not may people are parting with their useful homeland defense equipment, especially if they bought it to get ready for the coming shit in the first place.

Another thing might be the fear of not being able to replace them. FALs are unique for the most part and cannot be replaced. Except for a few "factory" rifles, you cannot expect to find another FAL of the same quality than one you might sell ESPECIALLY at the price you are letting yours go. At least that is the case for me. If I sell a FAL (or an M-14 clone) around here, no one has the money to pay for what I have in them. So if I sell low, which is what I would have to do, I would not be able to find one like it elsewhere without expecting to pay more later. The same goes with quality AK variants. I do not want to have to get rid of any of them. It would be a "lose-lose" situation. I suppose other folks feel the same way about selliNg guns right now.

Jarhead

J. Armstrong
March 28, 2016, 17:59
Also factor in that a LOT of folks bought during the last panic. Most of them bought high, so now would have to take a major hit on their investment, therefore they are holding on to their new toys ( I'm primarily thinking of the previously non owner types who went out with little knowledge and grabbed up the popular favorites they heard about; namely ARs and AKs ).

CG&L
March 28, 2016, 19:15
That's what I found. Not much buying, a lot of stuff for sale at a high price.

As J. Armstrong stated, most bought high and don't want to lose any money.
Eventually, they will lose even more when they have to sell. The job market ain't what it used to be

The local forums used to be a great meeting place but now it's just a bunch of want to sell ads

Trypcil
March 28, 2016, 19:54
Imagine that if, or once all the 'crap' that is happening around the world actually stops - then all the 'surplus' might find it's way back onto the market! One can only hope that a glut of inexpensive rounds and rifles would swamp the shelves and storehouses, a return to reasonable prices and non miserly range days! - but thats unlikely - until we do as Jose Mujica suggests, and remove the elitist's bindings!
http://occupywallstreet.net/story/‘worlds-poorest-president-explains-why-we-should-kick-rich-people-out-politics

NorincoKid
March 28, 2016, 20:38
With the dirt cheap prices on AR stuff a lot of people are turning in that direction...

When I got into AK's it was because I couldn't afford AR's lol. Times have changed. Should have bought a pallet of $89 Romy G kits.

Fiorina
March 28, 2016, 21:29
I never liked ARs, but it's so cheap lately I had to build a few

pre1989
March 29, 2016, 01:10
The only stuff I would think about selling right now were guns I could pick up again in case it all went bad ...Ie the last stuff that would be banned ..single stack guns wheel guns etc etc ..Or stuff that I could buy with 10 or 7 or whatever mags and have normal mags for

Not something I rather do but money

Lee Carpentieri
March 29, 2016, 01:42
Between allot of European countries vying for contracts all over the Middle East right now, Their is no reason for them to sell in a weak US economy. Also for those that don't know, Kalashnikov USA is moving from Pa. To Pompano Beach, Fl. Cheap labor down here compared to PA. and their Unions that want to form, Plus the new tax incentives for business's to move to Florida. Allot of AK sales to Saudi Arabia right now from all of the old Eastern Block countries too, EVEN Russia has the Saudi's begging for tanks and Ak's along with the 158 new T-90 tanks they just bought.

Even Colt announced a new stripped down M-4 carbine at a really cheaper price for them as they are on the ball's of their feet yet again. Down here the bigger retail gun shops have cut their inventories WAY LOW and are selling rifles and hand guns at almost COST to recover their loss's.

def90
March 29, 2016, 12:04
Post holidays and tax time.. It's slow everywhere and usually is this time of year.

Bubacus
March 29, 2016, 21:12
I agree that market saturation, political climate, and disposable income are all factors. However, things like the TAVOR fly off the shelf for a while with the right marketing. I have a feeling if the AK Alfa isn't vapor ware or an exotic type of Semi Auto like the AEK-971 comes to market, we will see some sales for collectors.

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/AK-Alfa-AKS-600x232.jpg

DC
March 30, 2016, 15:55
6.5 months from now when Hitlery wins you will wish you had bought everything you could have.

smee78
April 02, 2016, 21:16
The market seem to be in a weird limbow right now, the used market is pretty dry and the only good items out there are way over priced. I also agree we are in a post tax check, holidays-time to pay the credit cards back mode. It feels like a strange stall is upon us.

Incognito
April 18, 2016, 13:42
What boggles my mind is that 14 million new firearms are sold in the US every year. Where are they all going? It would seem that with that many new ones there would be a glut of used ones on the market.

So bazaar that an industry that is selling that many units can also be on the brink of extinction due to potential political moves and legislation.

Thorack
April 18, 2016, 14:34
Yeah,

A lot of the 14 million are inexpensive pistols, fudd guns, and the bazillion AR's out there.

Thorack

albacore
April 25, 2016, 05:49
6.5 months from now when Hitlery wins you will wish you had bought everything you could have.

Ack! Please refrain from mentioning that creature's name. I'll be having nightmares with that ugly mug in them now!

ezveedub
April 25, 2016, 07:07
Market is flat for sure, but there are some deals running around, as least AK parts that is. Seems like a flood of "rare" items are now everywhere.....FAL stuff....well, that seems to be either priced high and/or not much interest in them...

dogboysdad
May 21, 2016, 08:28
What I have noticed is that with the price of a home built AR now under $500, and all the toys and "tactical" stuff that you can add on to them, AKs have been ignored, especially since most AKs cost more than a cheap AR. I have seen the same WASRs linger for weeks on the boards here in NE OH. Lots of guys trying to sell off guns that they paid a huge premium for 4 years ago. The good news is that, if you have the money, there are some good deals to be had on some really collectible stuff.

okiefarmer
May 21, 2016, 09:28
Where are they all going? It would seem that with that many new ones there would be a glut of used ones on the market.

I can't remember the last time that I traded a gun in when I bought a new one. I have just bought bigger safes. :beer::beer: