View Full Version : Where to Find Service For Ruger Service Six?

D. Short
March 25, 2016, 19:28
Just picked up a basket case Ruger revolver. Figured it might be a fun project, or at least an interesting paperweight. The more I handle it, the more I want to bring it back to life. Can you recommend anyone that would evaluate this piece and see if it can be saved? Thanks!!

March 26, 2016, 15:18
I have a few Speed Six revolvers. I know Ruger no longer has parts for them so you have to scrounge them off of ebay and other part sources. That said they are available.

K. Funk
March 27, 2016, 08:31
How bad is it? If just missing parts, should be pretty simple as the Ruger DA revolvers are not complicated. Try Ruger first, I sent a Service Six into them and they fixed it up nice. I also sent a M77 into them for re-finish and they did a really nice job for a very reasonable price.

D. Short
March 27, 2016, 22:08
Thanks for the responses guys! The primary problem was that the hammer was locked up, and that precluded field stripping and seeing what issues there might be. Finally finagled the gun apart. Then I realized (duh!?) the real problem was the cylinder release was not moving. Upon further inspection it appears someone had tried to drill out the cylinder release pivot pin (???). Now I'm pretty sure I am out of my depth!!?? (I do have all the replacement parts, just need to get the damaged parts out)

Thought of the factory first, but it didn't appear they wanted anything to do with the discontinued models. Any suggestions at this point are still greatly appreciated!!!

March 28, 2016, 09:18
You is doomed! :facepalm:

Threaded pin in a blind hole? I think the lower portion of the pin is threaded with a smooth upper part for the Cyl Release to rotate on. Don't think it will be easy to get the pin out and it must be removed to get the Cyl. release parts out.

Are the threads in the Frame boogered? It's likely going to require some fancy drilling to get the rest of that pin out.

That job is a couple notches above my patience and skill level too, but if you can post a couple pics of the offending parts someone may come up with an idea for you.

D. Short
March 28, 2016, 19:52
Thanks for the chuckle....and the honesty! The word "doomed" has popped into my head more than a couple of times. And you are spot-on on everything else. Blind hole with a threaded pin...and soooo $%#^@ small. There is not enough light or magnification for me to even make an assessment of the hole/threads. Not giving up, but taking a little time out on this project.

March 29, 2016, 18:17
Try the following:

March 29, 2016, 21:36
Just for Giggles ==have to tried --->>

We would like to take a look at your firearm to address your concerns. Please contact our Product Service Department at 336-949-5200 with the serial number to have an RMA number issued for return. Thank you for your patience.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

D. Short
April 03, 2016, 09:57
Thanks for the suggestions guys! But before I pursued outside help, the WECSOG in me decided to give it one more try. I very carefully and slowly set up the drill press and continued on the process of trying to drill out the pivot pin. At one point noticed slight movement, and put a screwdriver in the hammer opening and pried. The piece broke and the majority of the cylinder release came out. Very excited. When looking into the opening, noticed a slight sliver of metal hanging down. Pulled on that with pliers, and the rest of the pin came out of the blind hole. Miller time!! Still not sure where I am at with the threads in the pivot hole, will just see what happens when the new parts arrive next week. Maybe not doomed after all... :wink:

April 03, 2016, 18:49
Far as the screw goes, I use Plastic, usually polystyrene rod and eyeball for drill size and screw the plastic into the hole and out to reveal the thread size and pitch, has worked well for me in the past, used a section of Plastic clothes hanger once and turned it down on the lathe or a drill press can be used with a file... Good luck on your rebuild.

Like others said, start with Ruger first in getting parts, they might surprise you.