PDA

View Full Version : Single shot follower

gunnut1
March 18, 2016, 17:54
What are the advantages, if any of a single shot follower as opposed to just loading one round at a time? Why do I need a special follower when I can drop the round on top of the magazine follower and close the bolt? I have a Tikka T3 in .270.

E5c03
March 18, 2016, 18:05
Single shot followers are usually for semiauto rifles with detachable magazine.
DCM/CMP shooters use them. Normally used for longer than magazine length rounds.

yovinny
March 20, 2016, 09:48
I'm not really sure if we're on the same page here, or if your talking something different.
But I have 2 older target rifles on remmy actions with single shot followers.

It's really old school bench rest tech and in their case, the single shot follower replaces the stock follower/mag box/spring/floorplate/etc. and is permanently epoxied into the mag cut out area of the action, creating a overall stiffer action.
By consequence eliminating stock inletted and also producing a stronger, stiffer stock.
Said to create a more accurate target rifle on the 700. Though today, single followers along with the 'sleeving' of actions pretty much went the way of the dodo bird and you'd be much better off just buying a single shot custom action.

Cheers, YV

fnogger
March 20, 2016, 11:01
The single shot mag/adapter I use for my CZ 455 has some extra shoulder to keep teh round centered, and puts the rim at the right spot (horizontal and vertical) for the bolt to grab as if it were feeding from a mag.

gunnut1
March 24, 2016, 21:32
fnooger, that is what I am seeing. The ones built to the tikka t3 actually come throiugh the iopening that the magizine follower normally occupies and on top of the magazine. I assume they depress the follower to fit.
I might get on to see if hit helps my groups. The bad thing is the rifle can out shoot me. I individually load each round so I have the most consistancy I can get.

tac-40
March 26, 2016, 06:59
My experience with the single shot follower was on military rifles with the magazine bolt stop feature. Some like the Springfield had a throw lever, the SMLE's had the mag cutoff.

My Tikka T3 is so much more accurate than I. I would suspect that for an experienced shooter to see any change in accuracy, the action would have to be bedded in a benchrest type fixture that allows NO movement and is micro adjustable.:bow:

fnogger
March 26, 2016, 11:11
My experience with the single shot follower was on military rifles with the magazine bolt stop feature. Some like the Springfield had a throw lever, the SMLE's had the mag cutoff.

My Tikka T3 is so much more accurate than I. I would suspect that for an experienced shooter to see any change in accuracy, the action would have to be bedded in a benchrest type fixture that allows NO movement and is micro adjustable.:bow:

Eh, my Savage BTV was picky about what round was fed out of the magazine. I could fill a mag 2 or 3 times, shoot first 2 rounds out of it at one target and the other 3 at a second target and have 2 nice groups. Shoot all 5 out of one mag at one target and I'd get a larger group.... Never got a SSA for the Savage, but when I sold it and ordered my CZ instead of paying $40 each for extra mags I just spent $40 on a SSA... very happy with it.

acpat
April 20, 2016, 02:35
keeps bullet nose/case from being damaged. It usually centers the round with the bore.