PDA

View Full Version : BF Goodrich

yovinny
March 18, 2016, 09:20
Not related, but this has completely pissed me off and I'm venting.....

I've run BFG's on my trucks since 1980 and never had anything but good to say,,,, but not anymore.

The set of All Terrains I put on the ford last year are just coming apart, as in the tread is just chipping off in pieces, besides wearing away at about 4x faster than it should.
7000 miles and they look worse now that the old set that had 60,000 miles on them and I gave to a friend thats still running them.

My newer Toyota also wears BFG AT KO2's, also new last year and those have also been nothing but a problem. The truck has been in for alignment and re-balance 4 times now and the tires still wear like it's out of alignment and produce a wheel shimmy.
I swear the first set has sub-standard rubber and the second was manufactured with twisted/kinked belting.

Took 2 months to actually get the BFG rep to meet me at the tire store and look at them and after much back and forth,,,, I've gotten exactly nowhere. The best he'll say is that when I replace them, he 'MAY' give me a price break on new ones, he'll have to 'see' how much mileage I get from them first.

After being a faithful and satisfied customer for 35 years, I will NEVER buy a BFG tire again.

YV

Tuhlmann
March 18, 2016, 12:47
Cooper Discoverer AT3. Look no further.

SWOHFAL
March 18, 2016, 13:35
Owned by Michelin. Toyo would be another brand I'd check out.

Invictus77
March 18, 2016, 13:40
My daily driver F150 is at 75K miles on Firestone Destination A/T now. Wife's F150 was about the same before replacement last fall before snow season.

They could stand to be replaced but really not bad. I would take off on a 3,000 road trip tomorrow with no hesitation. I will put some new skins on it sometime in the next couple months....I suppose :)

hagar
March 18, 2016, 13:48
Where do they make them? I know for a fact that the Michelin factory here in Lexington SC made tires about a year ago with the wrong compound mixed in with the blend of rubber they make tires out of.

yovinny
March 18, 2016, 14:19
Where do they make them? I know for a fact that the Michelin factory here in Lexington SC made tires about a year ago with the wrong compound mixed in with the blend of rubber they make tires out of.

No idea where their made...

According to wikipedia, Michelin bought BFG's complete tire business back in 88'. So while Goodrich is still an aerospace company, todays BFG tires are owned and made by Michelin.

Rep was zero help, took pics almost 2 months ago that he 'supposedly' forwarded to engineering. Then they all denied they've ever seen this type issue with any of their tires before, except on 'heavy haul road trucks'.

This is on an 85' F250 utility truck and while we have 1/4 mile gravel into the shop, it's sure not a 'haul road truck' carrying 80,000lbs running 70mph down gravel roads....Hell, it's all this 6cyl granny geared thing can do to get up to 65mph, rolling down hill on the highway,,with a tail wind :redface:

357ross
March 18, 2016, 17:51
I'd hazzard the guess that your tires have been re-engineered, outsourced and are now made in China, which would explain the represenative's hesitance to deal with the problem. I've tried Goodrich a few times over the years and never could get any mileage out of them. 6-7 thousand miles out of truck tires isn't cost effective and doesn't seem reasonable to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Right Side Up
March 18, 2016, 18:08
I grew up seeing and then using BF Goodrich tires. The Radial T/A was a great tire for a street car. They went to crap in the 80's and I haven't used them since.

yovinny
March 19, 2016, 08:19
Interesting,,,I've never used BFG's for anything but truck tires, but I've always had very good luck with them. Especially on my Toyotas, probably averaging at least 70K+ miles before even thinking about needing a replacement.

SteelGreyML
March 19, 2016, 16:20
Wow, that sucks. Generally I thought Michelins are considered a better brand and that would carry over to their subsidary. Maybe try bump up the chain of command and talk to the rep's super?

badzero
March 19, 2016, 17:05
I have been running mud tires on my trucks for 30 years. The only ones that are worth mentioning are Fiirestone Destination m/t's that I had on a super duty 10 years ago. They did everything they were supposed to and a few things I didn't think they could, one of those things was last 45k.

And my current set Nitto Trail Grapplers, they were on my H2 when I bought it, but shot. I liked they way they looked and rode so I replaced them with the same. They are the quietest mud tire I have ever seen and after 20k I can't see any wear, they do work better than advertised too. Had the truck into and out of a ditch that I shouldn't have been able to on a bet from a buddy who has a jeep.

I have a set of BF Goodrich km2 mud terrains on my 2500, 10k and they are worn out I will never own another set. I got more miles out of a set of bias ply Super Swampers back in the day.

mp
March 20, 2016, 10:08
Sorry to hear about your experiences with BFG. Their speciality tires (Krawler, Baja) fill a niche and I have been super happy with those products. But this post got me thinking--I have not bought a set of passenger car or light truck BFG's in a long, long time.

FALonious
March 23, 2016, 05:39
I recently had a set of Pirelli's put on the wife's car and didn't notice at the time but when it can time to rotate, I do that myself, that the damn things were made in China. Shit...no issues so far but I would have never bought em had I known. :redface:

I run a set of Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX's on the Runner and couldn't be more pleased with them.

yovinny
March 23, 2016, 08:57
Pirelli's... made in China.

WOW,,,Pirelli's from China ? Thats a shock.
I've run Pirelli's on the bikes for years...All have been made in Germany...I always figured Metzeler made them.

Glucker
March 28, 2016, 21:23
I've been pretty satisfied with my current Yokohamas on my Nissan Crew Cab, I'm pretty sure they're made in Virginia.

richbug
March 29, 2016, 09:13
Thanks. Was going to do BFG ATs on my new super duty as they oem general tires will be worn out by the end of the summer. Probably do the generic Cooper(mastercraft) AXT instead.

SWOHFAL
March 29, 2016, 13:04
Sorry to hear about your experiences with BFG. Their speciality tires (Krawler, Baja) fill a niche and I have been super happy with those products. But this post got me thinking--I have not bought a set of passenger car or light truck BFG's in a long, long time.

The car tires are fine, as I've got a set right now - better than the Goodyears they replaced, which were better than the Michelin OEMs.

Mark IV
April 01, 2016, 08:34
Just a shot in the dark here, but I'd write them a letter, send it certified, indicating that if they don't address this problem, you'll retain counsel and contact NHTSA: I'd include the words "unsafe", "negligent/negligence", "product liability", "class-action lawsuit", and "government investigation".

If they don't respond to that, I don't know what the hell to tell ya.

Pluribus
April 01, 2016, 09:40
Nothing but Cooper since 1976. Absolutely satisfied since 1976.

RG Coburn
April 01, 2016, 15:32
Goodyears on my wife's Trailblazer were made in Chile.
How the hell is it even profitable to make something as heavy as tires on the other side of the equator? You can't get much farther away.

Invictus77
April 01, 2016, 15:45
Goodyears on my wife's Trailblazer were made in Chile.
How the hell is it even profitable to make something as heavy as tires on the other side of the equator? You can't get much farther away.

Shipping is cheap in high volume. We make good money shipping coal half way around the world and selling for under $100/ton :)