PDA

View Full Version : Did the Norinco M305 (Not M14/S) Ever make it to the States?

NorincoKid
March 18, 2016, 07:56
Just curious. I was told that particular model number was for Canada (and maybe Norway) and the only ones that made it to the US were the Norinco/Polytech M14/S or M14 Sporter. Did any M305's make it stateside?

pre1989
March 18, 2016, 23:52
http://www.huntinggearguy.com/rifle-reviews/norinco-m14s-review/

its the same thing I think

The ones they have up there from what I have seen are the same ones we had back in the 80-90s

'The Norinco M14S (also called the M305) is a popular sporting rifle in Canada"

GunOwner2011
March 20, 2016, 05:12
$400 Canadian in 2012?

What does that work out to in 2016 US dollars?

And why isn't someone importing the M305 stamped ones into the US today? Change out the standard flash Hider for a legal muzzle brake like Springfield did, and it seems like they would probably sell like crazy here in CA, considering the prices that Springfields sell for now.

NorincoKid
March 20, 2016, 08:28
$400 Canadian in 2012?

What does that work out to in 2016 US dollars?

And why isn't someone importing the M305 stamped ones into the US today? Change out the standard flash Hider for a legal muzzle brake like Springfield did, and it seems like they would probably sell like crazy here in CA, considering the prices that Springfields sell for now.

They are not legal for import down here, haven't been since 1994

I was just curious as to whether the M305 marked rifles was a Canada thing or if we ever got them down here. All I've seen is M14/S never a M305 marked one.

garandguy10
March 20, 2016, 21:57
Yes, M305 marked M14's did make it into the USA around 1988. Cheshire-Perez of Pasadena, CA imported them. IMHO they are of questionable legality if they were not taxed as a machine gun.

They were Chinese select fire M14 receivers with the selector lug and scope mount lug machined off, a Norinco Star emblem and M305 as well as caliber designation added to the left side of the receiver and the receivers were re-blued.

I have pictures of a Cheshire-Perez M305 receiver, but I cannot figure out how to attach them to this thread.

GunOwner2011
March 20, 2016, 21:57
Why would they still be illegal?

The assault weapons ban ended years ago for most States.

AKs and SKSs are again legal, as are HKs, FALs, and ARs in most States.

Why wouldn't that have changed for the Norinco guns?

garandguy10
March 20, 2016, 22:02
Why would they still be illegal?

The assault weapons ban ended years ago for most States.

AKs and SKSs are again legal, as are HKs, FALs, and ARs in most States.

Why wouldn't that have changed for the Norinco guns?

Chinese M14 rifles, as well as most Chinese manufactured firearms and ammunition are illegal to import into the USA due to a Clinton era Executive Order.

yovinny
March 21, 2016, 11:55
I know some came across the NY border back in the late 80's-early 90's...It was a different world back then and border crossing was only what you made of it...
I never owned one, but I saw a few, along with a very few brand new Dutch M1D's Beretta Garands.
I dont remember them being any different than the M14S's we were getting before the AWB,,, but it's been years and I couldent tell you anything about them now if I tried,,,Now the Dutch Beretta M1D's are a different story :shades:

Cheers, YV

RONSERESURPLUS
March 23, 2016, 08:02
AS stated in title, Clintoon started the ban on Chinese inport ban, it was actually enacted my bush.

Different
March 26, 2016, 06:54
Chinese M14 rifles, as well as most Chinese manufactured firearms and ammunition are illegal to import into the USA due to a Clinton era Executive Order.

U. S. Department of State Dispatch. Bureau of Public Affairs: Volume 5 Number 22 May 30, 1994.

Department of the Treasury Office of Public Affairs. "Treasury Prohibits Importation Of Certain Semiautomatic Assault Rifles RR-2347." Washington, DC: April 06, 1998.

NorincoKid
March 26, 2016, 08:46
Yup, the ones I've seen (and the one I own) are all marked M14 I was just curious if any M305 marked ones came in before the ban or if that was a Canada model number.

:fal:

Democrat1
March 30, 2016, 15:54
I bought one just before the ban, Nov 30, 1993. It says M14S. No M305 on it. I believe the date of the ban was May 26, 1994.

TARGSHOOT
March 31, 2016, 13:26
china sports the distributor of all the chinese firearms and ammo, imported 400 cut away full auto AKs into the country. i was working at a gun shop that was just rollin in 100 dollar bills selling cheap ammo and guns of chinese manufacture. we got one of the cutaways and hung it on the wall behind the counter. 2 weeks later ATF shows up demands we close the store during this suprise "Investigation".. they took that cutaway and told the owner that this was a "Machine Gun" and we should arrest everybody who works here for posession of a un registered machine gun. They started looking in every nook and cranny in the shop. one agent holds up a .50 cal round that was in the show case and made the statement "we were dodging these in Waco". they were not friendly and tetering on being un professional. fast forward about 1 month.. clinton shuts down china sports and all imports, the claim was that china sports had somehow gotten RPGs and full auto AKs and M14s mixed in the legally imported merchandise. also claimed that china sports was run by the Chinese military by high ranking officers. those cut away aks could no more be reactivated than repairing a broken spinal cord. thats about all i know about that. and there was no more 79.00 1200 round cases of 762, and no more 110.00 1600 round cases of brass cased 5.56. hope this was informative.....

bubbagump
March 31, 2016, 16:34
china sports the distributor of all the chinese firearms and ammo, imported 400 cut away full auto AKs into the country. i was working at a gun shop that was just rollin in 100 dollar bills selling cheap ammo and guns of chinese manufacture. we got one of the cutaways and hung it on the wall behind the counter. 2 weeks later ATF shows up demands we close the store during this suprise "Investigation".. they took that cutaway and told the owner that this was a "Machine Gun" and we should arrest everybody who works here for posession of a un registered machine gun. They started looking in every nook and cranny in the shop. one agent holds up a .50 cal round that was in the show case and made the statement "we were dodging these in Waco". they were not friendly and tetering on being un professional. fast forward about 1 month.. clinton shuts down china sports and all imports, the claim was that china sports had somehow gotten RPGs and full auto AKs and M14s mixed in the legally imported merchandise. also claimed that china sports was run by the Chinese military by high ranking officers. those cut away aks could no more be reactivated than repairing a broken spinal cord. thats about all i know about that. and there was no more 79.00 1200 round cases of 762, and no more 110.00 1600 round cases of brass cased 5.56. hope this was informative.....

This jives with what I remember at the time. I will say that the chicom 5.56 was real crap, I've been burning mine up slowly but it ain't good for much except giving it to noobs and letting 'em shoot at coke cans with the stuff. The junk I had throws fireballs about four feet in diameter and smells like caps when it burns. The brass is so soft it won't hold a primer reliably. Good riddance I say.

b.

open ear shooter
April 04, 2016, 19:30
Yup, the ones I've seen (and the one I own) are all marked M14 I was just curious if any M305 marked ones came in before the ban or if that was a Canada model number.

:fal:

i can tell you that here in New Zealand we also have the M305 on the open market along with the carbine version, they are a economical Rifle to buy
we also had the Polytech version many years ago from back in the 80's along with real M14s TRW's, Winne, H&R and springfield's i recall some had the fiberglass camo Stocks and ART II Scopes they where coming in from Asia "Country unknown"

Parga
April 11, 2016, 00:04
The white and dark blue boxes of 5.56 would often have an unmarked tracer. Other than the bolts being a bit on the soft side, the receivers and barrels were quite good.