PDA

View Full Version : Bucket list can

tac-40
March 15, 2016, 22:07
Okay guys. I have a few extra dollars put aside and the bucket list has a glaring check mark missing. I want to purchase a can and here is what I would like in one:

Multi caliber>>>.223/5.56 up to 30-06
Would prefer a QD with different adapters/muzzle devices permanently mounted to the barrel.
Compact size (I know this is relative, but I don't want a can the same length of the barrel:biggrin:)
Material not an issue but would like to stay away from the exotic stuff, $$$ you know.

So what are your recommendations and where can you get them?. Local dealers here have their sources so I definitely need the name and model number if you know it.

hagar
March 16, 2016, 09:09
Get in touch with Allen Arms in Greenville, Frank's sons took over the business after he passed away. He was specializing in suppressors.

I miss that old fart..:sad:

stimpsonjcat
March 16, 2016, 10:30
Don't you own a lathe?

CG&L
March 16, 2016, 11:01
Most suppressors for the 5.56 are are around 7 inches. Some are a little shorter, some probably longer.

Most suppressors for a 30 cal are going to be longer and heaver. Generally, they will be built to take a 300WM

None of the above is always true.
I have a light, somewhat short SilencerCo Omega on the way. It's a 30 cal can that supposedly can take some of the more powerful rounds.

Reports are, it isn't really all that great with the 308. That's alright, it'll be going on an SBR in 300BLK dedicated sub-sonic rifle.
The rifle has a SilencerCo SpecWar 7.62 on it at this time. Great suppressor but it's long and heavy
Everything is a trade off between weight, length, suppression and intended use.

Something you may want to consider is the way the can locks on. The SilencerCo system is a good one. AAC not so much

hagar
March 16, 2016, 15:20
http://www.jksilencers.com/

But Holy Guacamole, these things are expensive, is $500+ the going rate?

Or my cousin from South Africa can bring you one in August, they grow on trees down there, we will bring it in as a motorcycle baffle..:biggrin:

I shot a few jackal a couple of years ago, guy had a silencer on his .204 Ruger. I was impressed by how silent it was, sounded like a subsonic .22LR.

notfrommt
March 16, 2016, 15:54
I do like my Surefire RC 762 because it is quick connect and fits on anything from 22 to 308. I would avoid a quick detachable suppressor for anything over 762, too much risk of detachment.

PBR Streetgang
March 16, 2016, 16:28
I use a Silencerco Harvester on 5.56 through 7.62. Thread on adapters are cheap!

shortround
March 16, 2016, 17:49
Silencerco Hybrid.

The Hybrid™ is the silencer for any platform. Compatible with calibers ranging from 5.56mm to 9mm, .45–70 GOV to .458 SOCOM, and many in between, the Hybrid is both full auto and magnum-rated and can be used on pistols, rifles, and submachine guns. Boasting low-120 dB’s on 300BLK and remaining hearing-safe with .45–70, the Hybrid offers an unparalleled pairing of versatility and performance – a combination you’ve come to expect from SilencerCo products.

The Hybrid is rated down to 16˝ barrels for .45–70 and .458 SOCOM and down to 18˝ barrels for all magnum calibers up to .338. With a slew of compatible accessories available, you can turn the Hybrid into the perfect silencer for any demand.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/

tac-40
March 16, 2016, 18:12
Thanks for the replies. And yes Stimpy, I own a lathe. But I am not so confident on making my own that would work, nor am I up-to-date on the latest science behind them. I would rather pay for a good product with a warranty than experiment with a home brew.

These guys are getting rave reviews in my area and they are made right here in the State. Plus, customer service is said to be outstanding too.

http://innovativearms.com/portfolio/deception-exo/

This is the can I am looking at now. I definitely like their EXO shroud. That seems to be a solution to the direct thread on cans.

Can't say they are heavier than others, still have to look into that.

Speaking of weight, for you guys that have cans, how much does the can affect zero and accuracy; both on bolt guns and AR type rifles? Is there a noticeable shift in POI when the can is removed or put on? Is the shift, if any, consistent?

CG&L
March 16, 2016, 18:59
You will get POI shift with a can. I use a can per rifle/pistol and don't switch anything

Right now, my 300BLks are sharing a can but that's until my Omega is out of jail. All other rifles and pistols have their own can

Accuracy
My 14.5 300BLK shoots 5/8" groups at 100yds with a SpecWar 7.62

There are more reports of a can increasing accuracy than decreasing it. I only lose accuracy on one canned rifle

The innovative arms looks like a decent can but at 7.6" and 21.5oz, it's no shorter or lighter than comparable cans. It's shorter than a SpecWar

Customer service and availability would make a diference

Aeroscout
March 16, 2016, 19:10
For you suppressor guys out there what do you think of this:

https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_325_43

They were $999.99 a couple of months ago. I don't know much about cans but I am wanting to get into the game and this one and this caught my eye.

tac-40
March 16, 2016, 20:49
Ascout, that one looks nice but, unless I missed something on the website, it is for 300BO only. While I have one, it will not be getting a can since it is an early pencil barrel design.

CG&L, thanks. I figured by hanging a weight on the end of the barrel a POI shift would happen. Is this shift consistent, so I can predict POI without the can, install it and know the POI after.

Ideally, I know that I should have a can for every rifle. But I didn't win the lottery, yet. So for now a multi-purpose can will have to suffice. In actuality, the can will most like be used on two rifles, my 308 bolt gun and my 308 AR10.

BigBoy1
March 17, 2016, 01:01
Multi caliber>>>.223/5.56 up to 30-06

Suppressor are not multi caliber. The bore diameter of the suppressor should be just slightly larger than the caliber being fired to minimize the blow-by of gases. The escaping of the gases is what cause the noise. Shooting a .22LR in a 5.56mm suppressor will work just fine but shooting .22LR in a .45 Cal suppressor would NOT work at all.

Some people will say that shooting smaller caliber in a lager suppressor will work. Yes, it will work but the object is to reduce the sound signature as much as possible. This will not happen when you have blow-by gases.

Artful
March 17, 2016, 09:05
Yes, the POI change is consistent and repeatable.
About an 8-10 inch drop on my AAC cyclone that weights
as I remember 28 oz and a lateral shift about 2 inches at 100 yards.

But of course that varies depending upon your barrel and ammo :uhoh:

Frankly if your going with a local instead of a national, be aware that
warranty may not be what you think it is. One you hear things like,
lifetime, the question becomes who's.

Artful
March 17, 2016, 09:07
Suppressor are not multi caliber. The bore diameter of the suppressor should be just slightly larger than the caliber being fired to minimize the blow-by of gases. The escaping of the gases is what cause the noise. Shooting a .22LR in a 5.56mm suppressor will work just fine but shooting .22LR in a .45 Cal suppressor would NOT work at all.

Some people will say that shooting smaller caliber in a lager suppressor will work. Yes, it will work but the object is to reduce the sound signature as much as possible. This will not happen when you have blow-by gases.

I don't know who's 45 caliber suppressor you have tried, but I get significant reduction thru my AAC 45 caliber Ti-Rant can with 22LR, 9mm and 40 as well as the 45 it was designed for.

Artful
March 18, 2016, 04:20
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a0cMuEpVOuQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JOsXN-n3yf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DrintWN43jc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Artful
March 19, 2016, 20:44
INTERESTING
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e4KfGPM-cJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wonder if you can do this on a form 1...

harleypower69
April 11, 2016, 17:16
Am using an AWC PSR on several platforms from .22lr up to .308. My .300BLK started life as a Sig 400 pistol and is now an SBR. Mounts cost me $125 each and I use Rockset to attach them with copper anti-seize on the can threads for easy removal. The .300BLK is ridiculously quiet, action and impact noise only, but this is a heavy can (all steel) and 8.5 inches long. I had it zeroed for Barnes 110 TSX and the Hog Hammer load. When I shot Hornady 208 AMAX subs the POI was only off by 2MOA. I am quite pleased. The .22lr is simply silent as it is a bolt gun. I have not shot any subsonic .308 in my M40A1 but it certainly hushes standard NATO rounds respectably.
PROS - Noise suppression, flash suppression, multi-mount and for me a local manufacturing company to do business with.
CONS - Heavy but it is a dedicated house and ranch gun so I am not humping it for miles. It is offered in Titanium but my budget said no thank-you.

stimpsonjcat
April 12, 2016, 09:42
INTERESTING
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e4KfGPM-cJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wonder if you can do this on a form 1...

I dunno what is up with that can. A buddy just got one and it is a nice setup.

But I am confused as BATFE was all NO NO NO on this concept back several years ago when I looked into it.

The deal in those days was any parts that 'fell off' the can became a new un-licensed can. I considered making a universal with a threaded stud sticking out the side of it to attach all the unused baffles and end-caps for the 'other' calibers to. Ugly, but certainly compliant.

dtom29
April 13, 2016, 02:09
Gemtec Quicksand, or Sig SRD 762 Ti-QD. The lighter the silencer the less POI change, (most of the time) 28 oz is a boat anchor...anything over 20 oz you will come to hate, less than 15 should be your goal but that will be difficult with a QD mount.

AFeod
April 13, 2016, 11:50
http://www.jksilencers.com/

But Holy Guacamole, these things are expensive, is $500+ the going rate?

Or my cousin from South Africa can bring you one in August, they grow on trees down there, we will bring it in as a motorcycle baffle..:biggrin:

I shot a few jackal a couple of years ago, guy had a silencer on his .204 Ruger. I was impressed by how silent it was, sounded like a subsonic .22LR.

...my motorcycle is in dire need of a baffle:whistling:

hueyville
April 14, 2016, 19:53
Have two Title 1 home brew cans always done what needed. One thread on rim fire unit that swaps from my Beretta tip barrel to 10/22's and anything in between quickly. Vewy, vewy, qwiet. Shhh, wabbit hunting. Have a home brew .223 can threaded 1/2×28 and threading/unthreading is just enough trouble lives mostly on one rifle. With new rules taking effect decided to jump in with both feet, do a trust and try to get all future needs covered.

Purchased an AAC 762-SD and an AAC 762-SDN. Both do anything from 223 to 308 with a standard 51T Ratchet mount flash hider. Have put said flash hider and adjustable gas blocks on three 223/556 AR's, three 6.8 spc II AR's, two M1a's and my 16" short gas FN FAL thus far. Have adapters to go on two 308 turn bolts and one 223 turn bolt thus far. That will be 11 rifles initially can quick change either can too. Paid $500 each plus $200 transfer fee.

Also have one of the Hybrid cans mentioned on order. Can go on a 9mm, 1911 45, 460 Weatherby Magnum, rimfire or anything with proper adapter. Just helped a friend mount one on his BAR. Gotta say a BAR with a can in rock-n-roll is a hoot. Laying down a mag dump is more fun than can normally have with cloths on. With my two home brew and the three commercial cans all moved into the Trust my plan is to be done. Only issue with the Hybrid is cost to adapt to multiple firearms and designs but if we're only doing one, it would be my choice due to its ability to work with rimfire, semi auto handguns, big turn bolts or SBR's.

I turned some other items into cash so could just do the entire project before new rules go into effect and be done. Believe five cans will be enough. Assume will use the AAC cans more than the rest as easy to move and seldom will I need to run anything bigger than 308 suppressed and handguns are not a huge issue since have indoor range where sound is not an issue that limits my ability to shoot.