PDA

View Full Version : who works on Garands?

Bawana jim
March 15, 2016, 14:45
Last smith I talked to wanted $ 150 minimum service charge and $35 for shipping and if he couldn't figure it out he would talk to his neighbor about it. Who really is a good smith on Garands?

tdb59
March 15, 2016, 14:48
I build Garands.

tdbridwell59@gmail.com

hagar
March 15, 2016, 15:14
Phil Arrington or Derek Martin in AZ.

Bawana jim
March 15, 2016, 15:25
Will contact ...

Bawana jim
March 15, 2016, 16:13
I build Garands.

tdbridwell59@gmail.com

Looks like you have a solid reference from one of the best gunsmith in the country. See you soon...

AliYahu
March 15, 2016, 16:43
Last smith I talked to wanted $ 150 minimum service charge and $35 for shipping and if he couldn't figure it out he would talk to his neighbor about it. Who really is a good smith on Garands?

What're you trying to do? I sent my Garand receiver - I stripped it myself - to Shuff's Parkerizing (http://shuffsparkerizing.com/) to have it converted to a BM59, but he offers a variety of services.

Eli

Bawana jim
March 15, 2016, 16:54
Thanks for the replies, I am going to have Terry fix it for me as I hear he knows garands.:bow:

carmenrose9967
March 15, 2016, 20:28
Look into Tony Giacobbe @gman366@comcast.net. He replaced a after market receiver with a G.I. receiver did the work and sent it back in 24 hrs. Work was great, he swapped some parts to make it correct at no cost. The rifle shoots like a dream. He has receivers for sale. Rifle is a 1943 June Springfield rebuilt by Agusta and Anniston. Stock is a Winchester with AA and AN stamps. It all comes together as a fine rebuild. Super happy with his work and help on corret parts.
Rich

Exit308
March 15, 2016, 20:46
I build Garands.

tdbridwell59@gmail.com

YUP! You built me a purty one. I can't wait to shoot it.:whiskey:

MilsurpMonkey
March 15, 2016, 22:27
Don't know if mine was built or just stored by Terry, but when we broke it down and started talkin at the last fall shoot he is certainly a Garand nut :bow: probably has forgotten more than most of us will know :whiskey:

308/223shooter
March 15, 2016, 23:36
If he built a BM-59 that took FAL mags, I'd be a buyer.

raexcct2
March 16, 2016, 03:31

He builds a BM59 that takes M14 magazines. He built one for me back in 2011. I still haven't fired it since switching to the Scar 17.

Still trying to decide whether I should sell my M1 Garands and M14's (semi only) and BM59.

Orlando8
March 16, 2016, 05:18
I can walk you through what to check to fix your Garand. I have been building, collecting, shooting for years, PM me if interested
If you still want to send it to a gunsmith I highly recommend Shuffs
http://shuffsparkerizing.com/

gunplumber
March 16, 2016, 08:08

Maybe you ought to ask "who does good, fast, work for a cheapskate like me?". Because I thought $150 for your "problem project gun" was a very good value. $125 minimum service charge and $25 range fee/ammo.

And yeah, since my neighbor is Phil Arrington (I can walk from my house to his), and he's been my friend and mentor for 25 years, I thought that would be a big plus. He's mostly retired now, but if I ever run into something I can't figure out, I can ask for his input.

So I guess what you want is someone to commit to a price to fix a gun that you know is screwed up, that they haven't seen, and it has to be less than $150 including ammo and range fee. And fast.

Which is fine - everyone knows the value of their work. But I'm not going to use my 25 years experience to diagnose, repair, drive to the range and testfire your rifle for less.

And no - I'm not just throwing around Phil's name. He's taught me quite a bit over the last 25 years. I did the refinishing on many of his rifles, including his old red white and blue demo guns.

Flying in Phil's plane on girl-child's 10th Birthday.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/kjg-birthday-10-05.jpg

AliYahu
March 16, 2016, 10:16

Technically, the BM59 is called Fucile Automatico Leggero by the Italians, so it is an FAL!
IMBEL supposedly converted Garands to FN FAL magazines, but I've never actually seen one - only rumors. The bolt design is too different, you run into the same issues that BAR-magazine experimentals ran in to.
My preference is 'all factory' with BM59 magazines - but I don't have an M14, so no commonality issue.

Eli

Bawana jim
March 16, 2016, 10:52
Maybe you ought to ask "who does good, fast, work for a cheapskate like me?". Because I thought $150 for your "problem project gun" was a very good value. $125 minimum service charge and $25 range fee/ammo.

And yeah, since my neighbor is Phil Arrington (I can walk from my house to his), and he's been my friend and mentor for 25 years, I thought that would be a big plus. He's mostly retired now, but if I ever run into something I can't figure out, I can ask for his input.

So I guess what you want is someone to commit to a price to fix a gun that you know is screwed up, that they haven't seen, and it has to be less than $150 including ammo and range fee. And fast.

Which is fine - everyone knows the value of their work. But I'm not going to use my 25 years experience to diagnose, repair, drive to the range and testfire your rifle for less.

And no - I'm not just throwing around Phil's name. He's taught me quite a bit over the last 25 years. I did the refinishing on many of his rifles, including his old red white and blue demo guns.

g]

Why is it you want to start a pissing contest? I asked your fee and your ability and found that you didn't have the ability but you had a neighbor who does. Mister why didn't you just send me to your neighbor rather than milking me for work you are not sure you can do. You are not sure of yourself or you wouldn't have thrown out Phil's name as who you fall back on.

I don't mind paying for good honest service from a quality tech and I have had lots of work done by good people. You make it a personal attack that I don't accept your rate but fact is you just don't have the experience if you depend on others to help you. I won't pay for your training as there are far better people out there to do the work.

Sorry if it hurts your feelings but I pick the right person to do any work on any thing I can't do myself and there are far better men who are confident in their ability to work on Garands than you are... as you have pointed out yourself. I will give you points for honestly telling me Phil knows more than you, when I get work done I like someone who knows the gun.

It's not about your price as much as your ability but your hostile nature won't win you any work.

Edited to add, until you told everyone nobody here knew you had to fall back on others to do your gunsmithing.

Bawana jim
March 16, 2016, 11:33
I have a process I go through in any work I have done. I talk to those who have had work done by them or people I know who personally know the business. Then I talk to the person who does the work to Guage their ability. I ask them how far out on work they are as that tells me how in demand their work is and I ask their fee so I can compare it as all of us do.

It's not about time as when I had my suppressed Ruger 44 built I was on a waiting list for some time and it was well worth the wait and the money for the service and quality product. The fellow that built the gun didn't act as a middle man and farm the work out, he did it all himself as he was a craftsman. As with all of his work, when I want something done I don't care how long it takes because he is the best machinist there and I never for a moment argue price with any craftsman. You pay for what you get.

Guy I am going to have work on my garand offered his services and it didn't take but a little to find out who he was and the quality of person he is. He is highly recommended as knowing garands and also involved with a gun club and the members highly respect him. I called him and he sounds very knowledgeable and we have agreed he will work on my gun.

He gets great feedback from here so no doubt other members use his services, but above all he knows the work, the gun and he stepped right up and said he could fix my rifle and didn't say he would farm it out if he couldnt.

ftierson
March 16, 2016, 11:44
I build Garands.

tdbridwell59@gmail.com

I'll throw in another plug for Terry... :)

In addition, if you have questions or need other work on the Garand, you might contact Earl Hickman (Dusty Springfield here) in Colorado Springs who is also a world authority on the Garand. At last count, I think he had about 80 rifles in his personal collection.

And he's not just a collector...

Forrest

gunplumber
March 16, 2016, 12:05
Why is it you want to start a pissing contest? I asked your fee and your ability and found that you didn't have the ability but you had a neighbor who does. Mister why didn't you just send me to your neighbor rather than milking me for work you are not sure you can do. You are not sure of yourself or you wouldn't have thrown out Phil's name as who you fall back on.

I don't think there is anything on a Garand for which I lack the ability. Except maybe cutting splines on a virgin barrel blank. I rebuild at least one a month. And I have a pretty good idea what's wrong with your gun. Except I can't fix it through e-mail. I have to see it. Otherwise it's just speculation. Saying that Phil was a neighbor, was supposed to build confidence. As in, even in the extremely rare possibility that I can't figure it out, I can ask my mentor. I knew there was a reason I had you on ignore. You can't add one and one without getting three.

I'm sure you'll be happy with Terry.

hagar
March 16, 2016, 12:16
Say HI to Phil, hope he is doing well. Last saw him at Butner in NC about 7 years ago. We used to shoot the Garand match in Tucson together, and while I don't have any of his ability to fix Garands, I clobbered his butt shooting them..:biggrin:

gunplumber
March 16, 2016, 12:34
Say HI to Phil, hope he is doing well. Last saw him at Butner in NC about 7 years ago. We used to shoot the Garand match in Tucson together, and while I don't have any of his ability to fix Garands, I clobbered his butt shooting them..:biggrin:

That's pretty impressive. He's a good shot. But he is getting long in years and his health isn't what it used to be. He's only "working" a few hours a day. But he's still a wealth of information and his passion hasn't waned.

A few months ago, he was helping me with bending a NM Op Rod. "Hit it harder!" Yeah. That's what a "NM" Op rod is - it's softer than GI so it can be more easily bent "just right" with a dead-blow hammer. I just was afraid to smack it hard as I needed to.

Bawana jim
March 16, 2016, 14:57
I don't think there is anything on a Garand for which I lack the ability. Except maybe cutting splines on a virgin barrel blank. I rebuild at least one a month. And I have a pretty good idea what's wrong with your gun. Except I can't fix it through e-mail. I have to see it. Otherwise it's just speculation. Saying that Phil was a neighbor, was supposed to build confidence. As in, even in the extremely rare possibility that I can't figure it out, I can ask my mentor. I knew there was a reason I had you on ignore. Y it and another smithou can't add one and one without getting three.

I'm sure you'll be happy with Terry.

Terry spoke with confidence that he knew the problem and could fix it. Right away he explained what happens with garands then told me he had parts in inventory and any tool it takes to fix the gun. Put yourself in my shoes and one smith speaks with maybe and I have to see it but I know someone who knows or do I go with the smith who has recomendations, tells me what he will look for because he knows what happens in a build plus he has all the parts available in shop?

Plus Terry has a good way of communication with the people he works for, in just a few minutes I knew I want this man to have my business and because I have been into guns since I was nine I will bring more business to a fellow if he does good work.

I won't go to the personal attacks and insults, but I tell you this I would much rather be on your ignore than ever deal with you hostile attitude that reflects in most post you make.

Edited to add, nobody would have even know I was speaking about your offer to do the work if you hadn't wanted to start a pissing match, might want to ponder that...
Good luck sir

Hollis Wood
March 16, 2016, 17:07
Well, out of curiosity.....what is the problem? I looked twice and don't think I missed it.

Bawana jim
March 16, 2016, 17:16
Well, out of curiosity.....what is the problem? I looked twice and don't think I missed it.

I bought a build gun that wasn't finished well and you can't get the loaded clip in easily. Compared to my other garands it's a real wrestling match. Gun looks to be real good grade of NM parts on the upper but an old lower triggergroup. Gun shoots good when I can get it loaded but it's a fight to jam the clip in, sometimes it won't even lock the clip in.

gunplumber
March 16, 2016, 17:20
Edited to add, nobody would have even know I was speaking about your offer to do the work if you hadn't wanted to start a pissing match, might want to ponder that...
Good luck sir

Actually, since you posted it on a thread where Yellowhand was expressing satisfaction with the Garand work I did for him, it wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist.

My beef is with your creative representation of what transpired.

Bawana jim
March 16, 2016, 17:55
Actually, since you posted it on a thread where Yellowhand was expressing satisfaction with the Garand work I did for him, it wouldn't have taken a rocket science.

My beef is with your creative representation of what transpired.

Yellowhand started the process by telling me in a private mail that he was happy with your work. I continued by sending an email with my questions to determine if I wanted you to do work on mine. Your reply instilled no confidence in your ability so I decided to post as I did.

When you said if you couldn't figure it out you had a neighbor that could I thought geez, I never heard of this neighbor and I have no idea who is going to end up working on my property. If it doesn't work when it comes back then how will I get satisfaction, see the neighbor? This isn't the proper way to do business in my mind.

I gave the dollar amount figuring folkes would reply if that is a fair rate for the work bid on and then I posted what i was getting for the fee. Yellowhand had a complete rebuild, I was looking for repairs. Again, I never mentioned you in the original post, you just had to start a fight.

Put me on ignore, I really don't need this and trust me you will never be brought up in any conversation I am involved with.

gunplumber
March 16, 2016, 19:41
It was akin to saying "If I can't figure out your math problem, Einstein is my Uncle".

But whatever. I had put you ignore years ago, and only took you off because I couldn't remember why.

I have been reminded.

Have a lovely day. And seriously, I think Terry is a good choice.

Tailback
March 16, 2016, 21:31
I can also vouch for Terry. I've shot matches with him, seen what he's shot, how well he's shot, bought a Model 1917 from him, and I saw how well his recent build for a local shooter shot at our recent get together. He'll be square with you.

Gunplumber, I wish I had gotten over my AR-15/M-16 snobbery earlier and jumped on some of those sweet AK-74 triangle side folders you used to sell. Every now and then when I'm feeling in a East Bloc mood I look at those geckoflage ones you own and sigh.

12v71
March 16, 2016, 22:23
Another A+ for T. Not often you get to sit and talk Detroit Diesel with a gunsmith, hope I helped him as much as he helped me when my M! started acting up. I posted my issue and got a phone call a couple hours later, he was spot on with the diagnosis.

raubvogel
March 17, 2016, 13:34
Technically, the BM59 is called Fucile Automatico Leggero by the Italians, so it is an FAL!
IMBEL supposedly converted Garands to FN FAL magazines, but I've never actually seen one - only rumors. The bolt design is too different, you run into the same issues that BAR-magazine experimentals ran in to.

I've never heard of that, but it kinda makes sense if we remember they made G43 clones (pictures I found show a slightly different receiver) that shot 30-06 and used modified BAR mags. I guess they wanted a magazine-fed S/A rifle and first tried one of the Garands. That might not have worked as they planned so they looked at their crate and saw the G43.

And then after all that mucking about they ended up with the FAL

snapperhead01
March 23, 2016, 22:34

Scammer alert!!! Run away!!
Tim Strait at Warbirds Custom Guns is the man; he's built three guns for me (2 M1's and a Polytech M14s). He's second to none with the Garand style action. He's very reputable. Look him up on M14 forum. His prices are very reasonable for the quality of work he does. M1's are not FAL's, there's a lot more going on with an M1 compared to an FAL.
http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/

E5c03
March 24, 2016, 02:44
I bought a build gun that wasn't finished well and you can't get the loaded clip in easily. Compared to my other garands it's a real wrestling match. Gun looks to be real good grade of NM parts on the upper but an old lower triggergroup. Gun shoots good when I can get it loaded but it's a fight to jam the clip in, sometimes it won't even lock the clip in.

You have other M1 Garands but not enough knowledge to repair one?
My first M1 I bought from DCM for $ 145 shipped usps. directly to me.

I trust GP ,,but can do M1A/M14 ,,M1 Garands,,'03s,,1911s,,S&Ws
But also know from experience,, most want FREE work.