PDA

View Full Version : M1A loaded

spider991
March 12, 2016, 17:57
Gents,

Gonna take the plunge into the M1A. I seem.to.really like the M1A squad scout. .seems like bout the best all.around as far as size and options.....BUT I am also looking at the standard M1A loaded...comes with national match sights,barrel and trigger. ..wondering if the shorter barrel compact scout is worth loosing all those match goodies on the loaded version that I think is 4-5 inches longer...anyone with one or both got an opinion? Ok, gonna use it for target, farm gun, maybe 3 gun..all around rifle...what says the rogues gallery?

Eyeguy
March 12, 2016, 19:07
I just purchased the M1A loaded on the archangel stock but am waiting on my Basset scope mount before taking her to the range.

I'm expecting greater accuracy from the 22" barrel than I would get from the 18" scout barrel but may be wrong here. I'd be interested to hear the experience of others.

BTW. The current loaded has the national match .062 blade front site and the non-hooded rear sight with only 1 MOA adjustment for elevation.

W.E.G.
March 12, 2016, 19:17
Pointless to spend money on "National Match" anything on an M1A.
Nobody shoots an M1A in the National Matches anymore.
I own an M1A configured in National Match goodness. I still get a (nostalgia) kick out of shooting it in local matches. It was da bomb in 1994.
No M14 or M1A has won the Daniel Boone Trophy in this century, and none ever will.

If you want a "practical" autoloader in .308, the far more practical choice is the Stoner design. But, you knew that already. By the time you get an optic mounted on an M14 it always looks like an afterthought. You already knew that too.

As Anton Chigurgh would say, "That's foolish. You pick the one right tool."

This is what a gun that will take you on-stage in the Service Rifle class at the National Matches looks like now.

Yes, a SCOPE.
Scopes and adjustable stocks are allowed now in Service Rifle class.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20service%20rifle_zps1wuybomw .jpg

spider991
March 12, 2016, 20:27
No national matches for me weg,lol...not now anyway. I had at one time wanted to but I have no where near the equipment and a crappy schedule at work...maybe next couple years I would like to try a couple local hi power matches. Also, I'm not a scope guy. Just planned on using iron sights. The ar308s appeal to me and I was looking at the dpms g2 recon as i can get one for a steal right now. I will be able to shoot on in a week or two as my boss has one coming in. The M1A is just a sexy weapon to me, not as sexy as a L1A1, but still pretty nice.

Tuhlmann
March 12, 2016, 20:41
It's a shame NM has succumbed to the lowest common denominator in riflemanship. I'm aware of the reasons why, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with them.

To the OP, if you happier with the feel and handiness of the 18" barrel then I'd let that be my guiding force. I seriously doubt most of us (myself included) would ever realize the difference in NM vs non-NM parts in our shooting of a M1A for casual recreation. I have a conventional M1A and it is sweet, but if I had it to do over again I'd opt for the Scout Squad and never look back. And FWIW, in theory an 18" barrel "should be" more intrinsically accurate than a 24" barrel due to the shorter barrel having an edge in overall stiffness that would have "less negative" impact on barrel harmonics with all other variables being equal. If optics are in the mix, the Scout Squad offers the same mounting as the Loaded, plus the scout option. That means absolutely nothing to me, but it may to you if you like red dots or 1x scopes in the scout configuration. Overall, the M1A feels really good to me, but the Scout Squad feels just about perfect from a handling perspective. Good luck, and let us know what you choose!

W.E.G.
March 12, 2016, 20:47
I have been amazed at what can be done shooting iron sights at a black bullseye on a white target. Get out and shoot some local matches. Have some fun. You don't have to have the best equipment to have fun shooting a match.

I plan to shoot my M1A in two matches for sure this year. Me and three buddies will shoot M1A's in the team match at Creedmoor NC in May. We'll get our asses kicked in the overall, but we don't care. We'll still be the first-place team shooting M1A's (since we will be the ONLY team shooting M1A's)!

Then, there's a local M1A match in September. Part of an aggregate where we have to shoot AR, M1A, M1, and '03 in successive months.

Actually, I shot my M1A already in a local match (100 yards) this year. So, make that THREE matches for sure this year. I stunk it up on offhand, but I only dropped 10 points out of the remaining 300. I had one of my better-than-usual days shooting the slow-prone stage. That 8 I blew out the bottom was all me on the second shot. I saw it break low. Motivated me to hold hard for the rest of the way.

41.7 grains Varget and 173-grain M118 "surplus" match bullet they sold to us from CMP back in the 90's. Gotta get 'em shot-up while I can still see (sort-of) that front sight.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82184&d=1457833499

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/M1A/M1-Asmaller.jpg

W.E.G.
March 12, 2016, 21:00
It's a shame NM has succumbed to the lowest common denominator in riflemanship. I'm aware of the reasons why, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with them.

Well, there's still the M1 match.

Even though its shot all at the 200 yard line, its still a manly-man's match. Aint nobody "cleaned" it yet.

In combat (however you define that) I think there's probably a lot of running and humping. They've got matches for that these days. I promised my wife I wouldn't cripple myself (any more than I already am) shooting guns. So, I'll have to skip the lotta-run-and-a-little gun matches.

If the weather is good at Perry this year, I guaran-damn-tee you somebody will set a new National Record in the NTI with one of those scoped AR "service rifles." Possibility of shooting a 500-clean is very much in-reach now. The guys who say iron sights are still competitive are going to get their asses handed to them. Much wailing and gnashing to be heard from the shore of Lake Erie in late July.

spider991
March 12, 2016, 22:17
If I do get to a few local matches, I have no illusions about getting my arse handed to me..lol..still sounds fun. I shot sass for a few years, I wasnt the fastest but I sure made a ton of smoke and fire...and that is fun..I love that stock, is that the McMillan Marine Corps one?

BiGB808
March 13, 2016, 23:06
I like the shorter m1a. Just handier when moving, looks meaner, sexier to me.

I also have a standard, they both shoot the steel plates with ease and i only do the standard irons they came with.

W.E.G.
March 13, 2016, 23:18
It is a McMillan.

I think it is the same shape-pattern used by the various branches for their 90's vintage competition guns. There were several color-patterns available at the time. Can't remember which vendor I got it from on commercial row back in 94. Might have been Creedmoor or Champions Choice. SSgt Len Walker assembled a Parts kit from Fulton Armory, and a Barnett barrel.

Snyper762
March 14, 2016, 06:25
You will be smitten with the scout model. It will accomplish whatever you want to do within reason. Add the loaded down the line if you want. Start with the scout though and I doubt you'll look for anything else.

one hand clapping
March 14, 2016, 07:07
I say go for the scout.
I have a NM and it sat for several years cause it didn't "fit" my body. Stock was too thick.
THEN I piclked up a E-2 stock from a member here, dropped the rifle into it and haven't looked back. I love that stock and like the rifle now. It wears a 3x9 trijicon and is VERY accruate.
The shorter barrel shouldn't make a whole lot of difference on the scout, unless out past 300 m. I've been shooting my 16 and a half inch FAL para @100 alot lately and its as accurate as the 21 " long barrels, I would suspect the M1A would act likwise.

deepskyridge
March 14, 2016, 09:09
I have the loaded model and really like it. It is my goto rifle.

Started reloading for it about a year ago.

You won't regret getting it.

Gary

hagar
March 14, 2016, 12:11
Pointless to spend money on "National Match" anything on an M1A.
Nobody shoots an M1A in the National Matches anymore.
I own an M1A configured in National Match goodness. I still get a (nostalgia) kick out of shooting it in local matches. It was da bomb in 1994.
No M14 or M1A has won the Daniel Boone Trophy in this century, and none ever will.

If you want a "practical" autoloader in .308, the far more practical choice is the Stoner design. But, you knew that already. By the time you get an optic mounted on an M14 it always looks like an afterthought. You already knew that too.

As Anton Chigurgh would say, "That's foolish. You pick the one right tool."

This is what a gun that will take you on-stage in the Service Rifle class at the National Matches looks like now.

Yes, a SCOPE.
Scopes and adjustable stocks are allowed now in Service Rifle class.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20service%20rifle_zps1wuybomw .jpg

What kind of stock on that AR?

I have never been able to shoot as high scores with a scope as I have with iron sights when I could still see well. But back then I shot a lot more, maybe I need more practice. I putz around the 450/500 in our 200 yard walk and paste matches, 10 years ago I was at 470+.

Shot a match yesterday, I'm finally getting my slow scores up, shot a couple of 90+ offhand scores last couple of months. Yesterday 20 rounds slow prone I shot all X, 10 or 9's, except for one 8 and 2 7's, and one 7 I definitely pulled. But my rapids suck, I can never seem to find a good zero, my sighters would be 10's but then I shoot a group out the top, or left, whatever. With irons I consistently shot 95+ scores and occasionally cleaned it.