PDA

View Full Version : Polish Kit on the way, some questions.

Ghost
March 10, 2016, 00:01
So Ive got a Polish AKM kit with laminate furniture on the way from AOA.
My plan it to use a Childers receiver with correct markings.
Did the Polish AKMs have Straight or angled Selector Notches?
Should be single hook trigger, correct?
Arsenal or TAPCO G2? why?
Reinforcement Plate just for folders, or should I get it installed?
US made gas pistons, any good?

US barrels; I remember years ago when I first though about building an AK, then the barrels became un-importable. every one said all the US barrels were junk. Lots more AKs out there now. the Kit I'm getting has a US made 4150V Nitride Barrel, AOAs own I presume. any thoughts on these?
I'm sorely tempted to get one of the Polish CHF chromed "sporter" barrels, Thoughts?

Thanks

def90
March 10, 2016, 09:46
Straight notches.. Atlantic sells the childers receivers with the Polish markings and notches on them already and they are cheaper than going direct.

Reinforcement plate is for folders, no reason to pay extra for it otherwise.

No idea on us gas pistons, I'm sure they're fine.

I have the Arsenal two stage in my 74s, I like it, others don't.

Green Mtn barrels will shoot as good or better than surplus barrels and count towards 922r. I have the Polish barrel on my Polish build and some AKBuilder barrels on my 74s, can't say that I have any complaints about them. People are stuck on surplus hammer forged chromelined barrels, most of them can't come up with a valid reason why other than because their the best. Someone did a hardness test over at akfiles and the green mtn barrels were as hard as the surplus barrels, ESS barrels were horribly soft.

Go with US HTS, barrel, receiver and muzzle device and you are there.

Ghost
March 10, 2016, 23:59
Thanks for the tip def90. I'll check out Atlantic for the receiver.

Ghost
March 13, 2016, 00:03
Received my Polish AKM today. It is flat out awesome. Original finish is almost intact with the exception of where parts had rubbed in shipping or storage. Even the bolt shows almost no wear! The stock and hand guards are perfect.
ALL serial numbers match there is even a serial number under the rear sight.
it is a 1968 production. I'm stoked
I do have some build questions, after using a US (semi auto) receiver and FCG, do you HAVE TO modify any original parts, like the selector, to stay legal or is it ok to leave as it is? Same question on the bolt. Are all the pins the same; hammer trigger sear, auto? they look the same to me.

def90
March 13, 2016, 07:32
No mods neccesary due to any laws.. Though you should notch the selector to match a semi auto selector. Pulling a full auto selector upwards past the top cover in a semi auto rifle can cause the hammer to drop thus the rifle firing when not intended.

Ghost
March 13, 2016, 12:38
No mods neccesary due to any laws.. Though you should notch the selector to match a semi auto selector. Pulling a full auto selector upwards past the top cover in a semi auto rifle can cause the hammer to drop thus the rifle firing when not intended.

How far up does it have to go to cause this?
Does it engage the auto sear or something on a FA gun to prevent this, or do they do it too?

I'm pretty stoked about this rifle. It's the nicest kit I've had my hands on in awhile, looks almost new.

def90
March 13, 2016, 14:28
Watch at 1:20 and at 3:00

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OpsI6-Ig8rQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ghost
March 14, 2016, 00:03
Here's the kit, Matching numbers on:
front trunion
rear sight
gas tube
top cover
bolt carrier
bolt
take down/recoil spring guide
safety (last three)
all other parts are blank except for polish proofs. Shiny spots are oil. Where the pint has been chipped it appears that the Pols didn't park under the paint?

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l332/85rx7/P3131662_zpsvhkcw3jb.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/85rx7/media/P3131662_zpsvhkcw3jb.jpg.html)
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l332/85rx7/P3131667_zpslufoiu4d.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/85rx7/media/P3131667_zpslufoiu4d.jpg.html)

def90
March 14, 2016, 10:38
Should be a great build! Post pics when it's done. :)

If you don't need a custom serial number:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/ak47-receiver-childers-detail.html?Itemid=0

Tailback
March 14, 2016, 18:27
Another option with the selector is to buy a Krebs custom selector that has a bolt hold notch cut into it. Could be handy to have at ranges that like to see bolt open without having to modify the original.

gunplumber
March 14, 2016, 18:46
should be a slant brake on a AKM. Muzzle nut off an AK.

Arsenal are superior to Tapco. Also they are AKM pattern. Tapco is AK pattern and dimensionally challenged. Either will work with proper fitting.

On a stamped receiver, you need 6 US parts. I prefer

hammer
trigger
sear
gas piston
muzzle device
receiver.

I haven't run into a bad piston from any of the manufacturers.

Ghost
March 14, 2016, 19:40
should be a slant brake on a AKM. Muzzle nut off an AK.

Arsenal are superior to Tapco. Also they are AKM pattern. Tapco is AK pattern and dimensionally challenged. Either will work with proper fitting.

On a stamped receiver, you need 6 US parts. I prefer

hammer
trigger
sear
gas piston
muzzle device
receiver.

I haven't run into a bad piston from any of the manufacturers.
Thanks for chiming in GP.
Already have a US barrel
Using a Childers receiver
Arsenal Hammer, Trigger, sear.
US slant brake (don't know whos yet)
That aught to cover the legalities.

I'd like one of the receiver mounted scope mounts, though probably not technically correct for this build. I don't know which side mount to get however.

def90
March 14, 2016, 22:15
I would leave the gas piston and use a US pistol grip.. less messing around with critical parts. US slant brake is an easy replacement. I like my Arsenal US two stage however I've never used a Tapco to compare it to..

Ghost
March 14, 2016, 22:31
Just ordered the Arsenal Hammer, Trigger, sear (two stage), and the AK builders US slant brake. and put in my order for a Childers Polish receiver with matching #s.
I do need to know about the side mounting scope base. the ones I've looked at said they were 74 specific.

gunplumber
March 15, 2016, 07:24
AKM rear trunion and AK 74 rear trunion have different rivet spacing.

For side rails that share the forward rear trunion rivet, there is a different one fro the short v long spacing.

Poland/Romania/DDR, etc all AKM "short spacing"
Bulgaria, Russia - long AK-74 spacing.

Ghost
March 15, 2016, 20:22
AKM rear trunion and AK 74 rear trunion have different rivet spacing.

For side rails that share the forward rear trunion rivet, there is a different one fro the short v long spacing.

Poland/Romania/DDR, etc all AKM "short spacing"
Bulgaria, Russia - long AK-74 spacing.

Is this the Mount I need?
http://armsofamerica.com/ak-47receiversideplateromanian.aspx
AK-47 Receiver Side Plate (Romanian style)
Works with all AK47/AK74 Scope Mounts!
Steel
Rivet Style
Romanian AK-47/74 Spec

gunplumber
March 16, 2016, 07:23
yes

also, curtis at AKBuilder usually has them.

Ghost
March 16, 2016, 19:36
Ordered the Mount. Now I should either have every thing or have it on the way.
It appears that Childers is still processing my order.

Edit: Looks like my receiver is back ordered till end of May early June.