PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire AMD-65 barrel shortening

BM59
March 09, 2016, 22:04
I am about to pick up an AMD65 from my FFL - is a Centerfire system from Classic which comes with the 16" US barrel of unknown origin (I know , TGI would have been better but at least it is still a FEG receiver).

To get closer to original configuration, I asked him to move the FSB back against the gas block, cut down the barrel and pin the muzzle brake. Unfortunately he told me that barrel diameter is larger in the back and the FSB would sit too tight, so it can't be done. I wonder if I can get a machinist to bore out the FSB diameter? has anybody modified one of those Centerfire AMDs?

Thanks!

mingthemerciles
March 10, 2016, 10:35
Yes it is possible, but a pain in the ass.
Ive done it twice. One situation like yours and another on a WASR that I turned into and AMD.
Easy route if you are able and have the patience and tools..
Break out the dremel tool and start to relieve the inside of the FSB. A set of micrometers makes this much easier than trying to press it off and on a dozen times before you get the right fit.

BM59
March 10, 2016, 11:50
Thank you - a friend has a lathe in his shop and may be able to help - I will post on progress.

tommatt3
March 10, 2016, 15:18
Turn the barrel down.. a simple enough job...

BM59
March 12, 2016, 19:15
Picked it up yesterday, added cheekpiece to wire stock right away. Looks great if it wasn't for the 16" barrel :sad:

I have built a few AR lowers and did furniture mods to various rifles, but I am not equipped to cut barrels (or weld/pin muzzle brakes as required where I live :mad:)

Lathe could be an option but friend will have to see how to work on it...