PDA

View Full Version : Brownells shipping $$

Illurian00
March 09, 2016, 13:01
just called to order a couple replacement bits for my Magna bit set. The bits are replaced 'free'.
The nice girl on the phone told me ".025 oz. ( nice girl, but I think she had probs w/ fractions & decimals) so I think she meant 1/4 oz.,,,standard shipping, USPS is; $7.95.

Is it me, or is eight bucks excessive?

I've oredered replacements before, though not in a while, don't remember being taken over the jumps for shipping like this.:confused:

gunplumber
March 09, 2016, 13:24
This question comes up with some frequency.

But when I ask people to come to my shop, and pack and ship orders all day, and to bring their own boxes, tape, labels, printer etc., and to do it for free; well for some reason there are no takers.

I went for years with differential shipping of $7.50 for a $5 small flat rate box, and then $10 for $10 MFRB. I lost money. Then I went about 10 years at a flat $10 for any order, any size. Then last month I raised it to $12. I hate charging that much for shipping, but everything I do (or hire someone else to do) has dollar sign attached to it.

There is an overhead cost to shipping outside the cost of postage. It is something one doesn't think much about, until one spends all freaking day packing boxes for free.

It's the same labor to pack and ship a $5 part as a $500 part. Someone has to do it.

Heck, the reason Robert Johnson switched to paper tape and glue machine is that packing tape was his largest shipping expense. It's 6-$7 a roll. I've contemplated it.

nearmisses
March 09, 2016, 13:47
You might want to save up till you have more than one or maybe get their stone for re-grinding bits or learn to do it yourself on a decent grinder. A worthwhile skill to have till they get too short, then ask for a bunch to defray the cost of the box. Like gunplumber said, it costs to ship in time, supplies and money. I've helped 3 widows sell off their husband's guns and it cost big to ship an expensive gun correctly and properly without damage.

ftierson
March 09, 2016, 14:08
Brownells has a real guarantee on everything they sell. A real guarantee...

I also often moan about shipping charges, but Brownells also has one of the lower minimum charges for small, light items than most other places. And what Mark says about shipping cost to the shipper...

In addition, if you join their EDGE program (a membership program that costs $50/year), every order will be shipped 'free.' That's a huge advantage if you order very much stuff from them (I realize that doesn't help the one-time buyer much).

Just sayin'...

Forrest

SteelGreyML
March 09, 2016, 17:52
Brownells has a real guarantee on everything they sell. A real guarantee...

I also often moan about shipping charges, but Brownells also has one of the lower minimum charges for small, light items than most other places. And what Mark says about shipping cost to the shipper...

In addition, if you join their EDGE program (a membership program that costs $50/year), every order will be shipped 'free.' That's a huge advantage if you order very much stuff from them (I realize that doesn't help the one-time buyer much).

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Good to know. Also C&R license registered with them also gives a small discount if I remember right.

Illurian00
March 09, 2016, 20:19
Thanks men,,,just wanted to gripe. Though why bother ?
When peeps complain abot the price of eggs in Hendersonville, I reply; The money is close to worthles, be thankful they're still takin' it.

As for packing & shipping. Part of my mis-spent youth I traveled w/ a small construction compampany. After a job was completed, the boss would have me bundle, screw, & tie surplus materials so that they could be shipped to the next job. In retrospect, I'm thinking that was a bit of pricey shipping.

fmj_shooter
March 10, 2016, 01:10
Brownell's has some thing you can join now, $50 a year (i think) and you get free basic shipping.
What we always did is five or six of us would order stuff at one time and split the shipping, typically got the shipping down to a couple bucks a person. One guy has to front the cash, and I think my boss has owed me $20 for a couple years now. :whistling:

When shipping product is part of your business, you have to charge more than just postage. Otherwise it will be a poison that slowly kills your company. Nothing is cost free.