PDA

View Full Version : WTK: PARS FMP G3 info

VALMET
March 06, 2016, 13:40
Looking for info on Portuguese G3 rifles brought in in the late-1980s by PARS Int'l in KY. Am I correct in thinking that the G3S marked guns are true pre-bans while G3X are post-89? Also, about how many did PARS bring in? Lastly, what could I expect to pay for a decent pre-ban example? Thanks in advance gents.

AGG
March 06, 2016, 19:12
G3S (1/89) is true, pre-89; XG3S (3/89 and 5/89) are considered post-89!!! :)

Tony

AliYahu
March 08, 2016, 21:31
Better off to go out and look for one of the Springfield Armory G3's. The first 500 SA imports were G3 marked. The finish is nicer and they generally go for less (a less known/recognized variant). They are painted vs. parked, and Greek contact assembled vs. Portuguese...the welds are better looking as compared the FMP's (usually). The furniture is better/same as HK (black), not green...and SA uses a tropical handguard pattern as opposed to the skinny finger burner for the Port guns. AND importantly - fewer folks even realize what they have when selling = go for less than the post ban variants (X guns or the SAR-8's that were Greek/EBO) in the screwy markeplace of today.
My two cents worth. No harm/no foul in whatever you seek...but I've owned both and know which one I'd choose for myself. You are making a choice for you, and entitled to buy thusly.

The problem with the Springfield is the later guns with aluminum receivers and the same model name, as I recall.

Eli

Lee Carpentieri
March 10, 2016, 19:51
AliYahu, What your thinking of is those Cast aluminum G-3 type receivers that were made by the same company that made CAST AR-15 receivers in Biyou Repids,La. They were the ones that did that contract for Spring Field Armory. The G-3 parts kits came out of Zimbabwe and they were trashed then.:eek::whistling:

AGG
March 10, 2016, 21:41
I cannot believe that the SAR-3 has lasted this long!!! :)

Tony