PDA

View Full Version : My G3A3 Copy

Earl Burlin
February 28, 2016, 11:30
Hey guys! Thought I'd show off my PTR-91 GI that I made into an HK G3A3 copy:

http://s16.postimg.org/5klxhvtjp/20160228_100930.jpg

The gun started life as a standard off the shelf PTR-91 GI model. This is what I did to make it as close as possible to the genuine article:

1. Replaced dust cover with parkerized HK bayonet adapter.
2. Switched slimline handguard to an HK wide handguard.
3. Installed matching parkerized "SEF" marked lower with green pistol grip.
4. Had Bill Springfield install a paddle magazine release.
5. Replaced rear sight knob with original style HK screw.
6. Attached Greek made HK pattern two point sling.

The rifle now not only looks better and much closer to an HK military issue G3, it feels better as well. The wide handguards do a great job of dissipating heat during rapid fire. The new lower with pistol grip is also more comfortable over the "navy" style polymer lower that came on the gun. In the above picture, the chest rig was made by 101ABN327 who is a member here as I'm sure you know. It's been a fantastic little rig, holds four magazines which should get me through anything. The camo pattern on it is "PenCott Greenzone", which blends in very nicely with the temperate vegetation environment of my area.

I've fired close to 1000 rounds through this gun with 0 problems of any kind whatsoever, mostly steel cased Tulammo stuff which these guns have no problems shooting. I have also fired quite a bit of ZQI 7.62x51mm M80 NATO ball which does nicely as well.

I actually don't have an FAL right now, which is kind of ironic, but I hope that to change in the future. In the meantime, this gun will serve me well in it's roll as a battle rifle.

Thanks for looking!!

Earl

hansellhd
February 28, 2016, 12:27
Hey guys! Thought I'd show off my PTR-91 GI that I made into an HK G3A3 copy:

http://s16.postimg.org/5klxhvtjp/20160228_100930.jpg

The gun started life as a standard off the shelf PTR-91 GI model. This is what I did to make it as close as possible to the genuine article:

1. Replaced dust cover with parkerized HK bayonet adapter.
2. Switched slimline handguard to an HK wide handguard.
3. Installed matching parkerized "SEF" marked lower with green pistol grip.
4. Had Bill Springfield install a paddle magazine release.
5. Replaced rear sight knob with original style HK screw.
6. Attached Greek made HK pattern two point sling.

The rifle now not only looks better and much closer to an HK military issue G3, it feels better as well. The wide handguards do a great job of dissipating heat during rapid fire. The new lower with pistol grip is also more comfortable over the "navy" style polymer lower that came on the gun. In the above picture, the chest rig was made by 101ABN327 who is a member here as I'm sure you know. It's been a fantastic little rig, holds four magazines which should get me through anything. The camo pattern on it is "PenCott Greenzone", which blends in very nicely with the temperate vegetation environment of my area.

I've fired close to 1000 rounds through this gun with 0 problems of any kind whatsoever, mostly steel cased Tulammo stuff which these guns have no problems shooting. I have also fired quite a bit of ZQI 7.62x51mm M80 NATO ball which does nicely as well.

I actually don't have an FAL right now, which is kind of ironic, but I hope that to change in the future. In the meantime, this gun will serve me well in it's roll as a battle rifle.

Thanks for looking!!

Earl

Nice upgrades, now all you need is one of these.

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HENSOLDT-ZF-MODEL-ONE-SCOPE-ASSEMBLY-GOOD-CONDITION-27p2342.htm

Don't forget the Bayonet!

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/784b8879-c10e-435b-a1e3-3f8690bd033e_zpsm6ouonkg.jpg (http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/hansellhd/media/784b8879-c10e-435b-a1e3-3f8690bd033e_zpsm6ouonkg.jpg.html)

MJ1
February 28, 2016, 14:52
What was the charge for the magazine catch lever ?

Earl Burlin
February 28, 2016, 18:46
I think about $80 if memory serves me right. Huge improvement over the standard PTR/HK-91 button. I think PTR is finally making these with a paddle release from the factory.

I plan to keep this rifle "irons only" keeping with that classic look and for reduced weight. I've found the irons to be entirely satisfactory as well.

mpnv
February 28, 2016, 19:09
I think about $80 if memory serves me right. Huge improvement over the standard PTR/HK-91 button. I think PTR is finally making these with a paddle release from the factory.

I'm glad to hear it. HK version sucked!

Awesome rifle BTW!!

Earl Burlin
February 28, 2016, 19:43
Thanks! It is reliable, hits hard, and looks kewl. DADDY LIKE!!! :rofl:

easttex
February 28, 2016, 22:04
What's the recoil like with this rifle? Comparable to a FAL?

Earl Burlin
February 28, 2016, 23:15
What's the recoil like with this rifle? Comparable to a FAL?

I have never fired an FAL. :uhoh:

I'm cereal you guys.

To be honest, the main reason why I chose a PTR-91 vs a DSA or other FAL was cost. But, with everyone's help, I plan to add an FAL to the stable soon. :D

BIG50
February 29, 2016, 00:11
A G3A3 will have a collapsible stock making it a G3A3 right now you just have a G3 clone.

Earl Burlin
February 29, 2016, 21:23
Not exactly.

The G3A4 is the collapsible stock model, if you want to go by the correct Greman HK military model designation.

I do have a HK G3A4 NIW stock if you are interested, with the original German paperwork.

+1

The G3A4 has the telescoping buttstock.

saltydog
March 03, 2016, 17:52
:cheers:

Earl Burlin
March 04, 2016, 22:38
:cheers:

:winner:

hkshooter
March 06, 2016, 09:57
Great start.
Now you need to finish it with a correct FSB with the grenade launching ring.

VALMET
March 06, 2016, 10:23
ntxt.

VALMET
March 06, 2016, 10:23
Nice G3! I've oft flirted with getting one of the PTR-91s but I can't get past the plastic lower which I'd def switch out for a steel one, like yours.

Earl Burlin
March 06, 2016, 19:46
Thanks! I like it, I like it a lot!!! :D :beer: