PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell it or shoot it?

AZ Dave
February 26, 2016, 17:36
I picked up a brand new S&W model 19-4 4" CHEAP!!! The only thing is...it's a Detroit police commemorative model. It is in the presentation box with all the goodies. I'm into it for $450. What could I get for it?

W.E.G.
February 26, 2016, 17:51
Is it a rare model? No.

Does it have unique provenance? No.

Is there anything especially appealing about "Detroit" that would enhance the value? - you answer that one

Its worth about the same $$$ as a non-commemorative model in equal condition.

Its a not-special gun.
It will be a previously-fired (assuming its not already fired) not-special gun after you fire it.

mpnv
February 26, 2016, 17:57
....unless you know a Detroit cop

W.E.G.
February 26, 2016, 18:00
....unless you know a Detroit cop

Would you sell a gun to a Detroit cop?

I'm not so sure these days.

These days, how many Detroit cops are "into guns?"
I'll wager its less than 10%.
Of that small number, how many have enough disposable income to drop big $$$ on a commemorative revolver?

mpnv
February 26, 2016, 18:09
Would you sell a gun to a Detroit cop?

I'm not so sure these days.

These days, how many Detroit cops are "into guns?"
I'll wager its less than 10%.
Of that small number, how many have enough disposable income to drop big $$$ on a commemorative revolver?

I agree, but that's the only market that would add any value to the pistol.

CG&L
February 26, 2016, 18:53
I guess I have to be the bad guy here.
A 19-4 would have been produced from 1977-1981. It'll be pinned and should be recessed

In new condition with the box, stocks and docs an avid S&W guy would pay a lot for it. The trick will be finding 'That Guy'

You should put it up for sale on the Smith and Wesson forums. The guys willing to pay top dollar for your 19-4 will be there

Believe it or not, there are also collectors of police guns. They'll be on the S&W forum as well

It would be best not to handle the gun much. A prospective buyer will want to see a good photo of the turn ring.

I say get rid of it fast. It's worth much more to a collector than a shooter

nvcdl
February 26, 2016, 19:06
Put it on gunbroker - I'd suspect you would get a couple hundred more then you have into it maybe more. It probably is LESS desirable then a plain 19-4 in a presentation box as many don't want a commerative and most commeratives are left unfired so not that rare.

CG&L
February 27, 2016, 12:38
This is the website S&W aficionados hang out on

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

They'll be able to give you the skinny on its desirability. After you have a good idea of its value, mark it up 20% and put it on gunbroker. You'll probable get a few offers on the forums and you can sell it there if it doesn't work out on GB

AZ Dave
February 27, 2016, 19:22
Thanks CG&L. I just registered.

Bug Tussell
February 28, 2016, 08:22
I'm not a fan of commeratives. Gilding the lily makes its' utilitarian value plummet and turns a useful firearm into a wall hanger.

Hope you find that guy that likes to collect these.

CG&L
February 28, 2016, 09:35
The 'commemorative' aspect isn't that big of a deal
Having box, stocks and docs is a big deal for getting more than the gun is worth.

I would take quality photos, post on the S&W forums and sell it as quickly as possible.

The gun is worth nothing to me in its present condition. It's an unusable gun and I just can't have that.

AZ Dave
February 29, 2016, 19:40
I wish it was a bone stock NIB 19. That would make me perk up pronto! All the gold leaf ruins the looks to me. The guys on the S&W board said it's value is $800 - $1200. I plan on selling it and buying a nice S&W I can use.