PDA

View Full Version : Value difference S&W 27 versus a 10

richbug
February 26, 2016, 12:45
Many years ago a friend was in a bind and sold me a 5" model 27-2, nice tight gun, some freckling here and there, finish wear on cylinder and at muzzle. The kind of gun you wouldn't be afraid to jam into a leather holster and carry. He has wanted it back for a while...

He has a early 1950s Pre-10, 6" similar shape to the 27

I'd like a K for my kids to learn revolver on(the 27 is just too heavy/big for them to hold at arms length), he has a serious itch for his 27 back. I shot the 27 once in the last year. S&W values have gone nuts and I haven't been able keep track of them. At the time I bough the 27 it was a $300 gun and a 10 would have been $150. It seems N frames have gone they way of a Colt revolver.

Closed gunbroker auctions have been no help.

What is a fair difference to ask in a trade deal?

W.E.G.
February 26, 2016, 12:53
If he's a good friend, sell it back to him for what you paid for it (adjusted for inflation if many years have passed).

Guns are common.

Friends are rare.

VALMET
February 26, 2016, 15:22
5" 27-2s have been bringing $1K+ as of late and while that kind-of $ would be tempting, I have to agree with WEG, sell it back to him for what you paid for it.

richbug
February 26, 2016, 15:38
I'm was thinking $150-200 and we swap revolvers as that would have been the difference in value back in when I bought it from him originally...

K. Funk
February 26, 2016, 17:03
It looks like the gun would have to be 98% + to be around a grand. I am seeing some in the presentation case for under 1K and some well over if mint. Nickel seems to be a plus. I would put a shooter grade around $750. Model 10's on the other hand aren't as high, but seem to be accelerating. Shooter grades used to be had for under $200, now they are well above $300 and nice ones more than that.

krf

richbug
February 28, 2016, 19:37
So I get a phone call out of the blue from him. Seems his cousin has a righteous cornbinder Garand, and wants and be needin a AR to protect his family in the hood. As if a healthy almost correct cornbinder(1970s cop import) wouldn't keep the homies at bay(didn't Eastwood show us the value of a Garand in Gran Torino).

Knowing I's a plowboy, he be knowin that I can wrench on Farmall an all.

I reach to the back of the safe for an AR that hasn't been shot in years and head over... Spun the dial on the safe so fast that I think the knob was still going round as I was heading down the driveway...

Story and photos on the binder to follow in the M1 section.

I'm thinking I may just hand the 27 back to him. Been wanting an IHC forever. Fondled a couple last summer at Camp Perry, but couldn't justify the price difference, a beat IHC was $3-400 more than a NICE H&R. BY the time I decided to get one they were gone.

FUUN063
February 29, 2016, 04:35
That sounds about right, really. Now, a 5" 27 will bring some coin. I have a pre-27 5" that is well worn, but I wouldn't really want to sell it cuz I like it. They just feel right.

Leland