PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on new bolt action rifle

moonbat60
February 22, 2016, 21:15
Hey guys,

since 2000 I've got a Winchester M70 Stealth (#1) that I've upgraded a little over the years. It is a .308.

It has got a 26" heavy barrel and is very accurate with Federal GM 168gr.

Now, here it comes..........

Winchester only produced the Stealth and Stealth #2 in short action calibers, such as .223, .22-250 and .308.

I am looking for something similar or close in .300 Win. Mag.

It has got to have a bull barrel or heavy barrel 24 to 26" long, synthetic stock and the metal parts blued or matte black.

Also, it has got to be affordable, so nothing kinda like $1.5 retail.

I don't need iron sights or other gimmicks. Just a pure bolt action rifle.

It will get a scope and rail of my own choosing, and other parts as needed.

What is out there ?

hagar
February 22, 2016, 21:38
Winchester did make a long action and called it something similar to the Remington Sendero, but it escapes me now. I almost bought one in 7mm mag in the mid 90's for $400, but passed because I already had a Sendero in 7mm mag. What was I thinking...:sad:

I would try and find either one of those, or a Sendero, but not any of the new rifles, If you are buying new, look at the Tikkas.

easttex
February 22, 2016, 21:56
For the money, I'd buy a Remington 700 Varminter in 300 Winmag and spend money on quality glass.

My old man has a 700 Varminter in .308 and it'll shoot better than 90% of us any day of the week. He also handloads which helps.

His rifle was about $700 when he bought it. It shoots great.

hagar
February 23, 2016, 00:26
Winchester Laredo, that's what it was..

One on Gunbroker
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=543951763

moonbat60
February 24, 2016, 21:33
Thanks, guys !

TedMckay
February 25, 2016, 01:40
If you dont want too spend a lot customizing a new weopon . You cannot go wrong picking up a slightly used remington 700 sendero chambered in .300 hell of a rifle for out of the box accuracy .

d762nato
February 25, 2016, 05:49
Winchester Laredo, that's what it was..

One on Gunbroker
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=543951763
The only problem with this one is the barrel had a couple of inches whacked off of it. It probably has about the same horse power as an 06 now. Why someone would cut a magnum rifle barrel down is beyond me. Oh! Yeah! more noise and less velocity. :confused:

yovinny
February 26, 2016, 09:41
Howa also has a blued, heavy varmint barreled, 300wm available.
I dont think they offer a complete rifle, rather just a barreled action, but thats a plus in my book.

raubvogel
February 26, 2016, 16:23
The only problem with this one is the barrel had a couple of inches whacked off of it. It probably has about the same horse power as an 06 now. Why someone would cut a magnum rifle barrel down is beyond me. Oh! Yeah! more noise and less velocity. :confused:

No, because of tactical. I am surprised they did not cut it down to 16"

nearmisses
February 26, 2016, 21:38
That Winchester 70 Laredo is a fine looking rifle. Remington's maybe slightly more accurate but, you can NEVER beat the reliability of the Model 70's Mauser Controled round feeding, long claw extractor, positive ejection and incredibly trouble free trigger with their excellent 3 position safety that blocks the firing pin, not the sear. Remember also, Winchester used hammer forged barrels, Remington chose cheaper to produce, button rifled barrels. Remington extractors break and can not be fixed easily without a special tool, no controlled feeding, and a plunger ejector and a safety sear block/trigger assembly which has a checkered past legaly speaking. I'd spend the money and buy a Win 70 0ver any Rem. 700. Though for some reason, the triple rings of steel they used to advertise them as, works well in the accuracy department. 300 Winchester mags have a short neck on their case, there are better cartrdgies but none as inexpensive for the money. They do recoil rather abruptly. Cheap way Remington. Practical all around, Winchester, they didn't call it the riflemans rifle for nothing.

yovinny
February 27, 2016, 09:26
Nothing wrong with button barrels, but Remmy has been using cold forged and not button rifle barrels for a very long time.
At least on production line rifles...Couldent say exactly how long, but maybe 20+ years ??
That said, the button rifled remmy's were very fine barrels and are still how they make barrels for the custom shop rifles and the 40X target rifles, at least last I checked.
I'm also pretty sure all Savage barrels are button rifled..And they seem to shoot OK. (At least from what I see and hear, I'm not big on Savages)
Almost every different type rifle and shooting discipline seems to have different favorites when it comes to barrels, but my personal and the number one wining'est barrel in any benchrest use by like 10:1 (Shilen) are still very finely button rifled :)

Cheers, YV

tac-40
February 27, 2016, 13:00
Just for the mauser type extractor and controlled feeding I would go with the old Winchester design. The new FN bolt guns have this since they were made using the pre-64 Winchester design. I have a PBR in 30 that is way more accurate than I am.

TXscout
February 28, 2016, 00:36
Get a Remington Custom Shop KS Mountain Rifle...they can be had for reasonable $$, just have to look for them.

Right Side Up
February 28, 2016, 00:44
If you want a really good rifle pick an action, Remington, Winchester, Weatherby,...have it trued and put a good barrel on it. I've never had a bad barrel yet and I've bought them from Shilen, Kreiger, Lilja, Lother-Walther, Douglas.

My first deer rifle was a Remington 700 in .270 Winchester. It shot pretty good with the factory barrel, but I wore that barrel out. (Yeah I used to shoot all the time) It now has a Shilen on it and shoots better.

fnogger
February 28, 2016, 13:58
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPHS

Savage 110 FP w/ HS stock

moonbat60
February 28, 2016, 19:56
A Savage would be about the last in line, mostly because of the trigger.

On a rifle of that kind, I don't like a two-piece trigger.

I've got a Ruger American Rimfire with a two-piece trigger, that I would like to get converted if I would know how.

nearmisses
February 29, 2016, 12:32
A Savage would be about the last in line, mostly because of the trigger.

On a rifle of that kind, I don't like a two-piece trigger.

I've got a Ruger American Rimfire with a two-piece trigger, that I would like to get converted if I would know how.

Would you explain to me what a 2 piece trigger is? Never heard that term before. Are you sure you don't mean a 2 stage trigger? Clarify for those of us
confused by this. A Model 70 has 4 pieces. a trigger, spring, pin and sear. Yhe trigger being one piece. A Remington 700 has a bunch! Savage has a new set trigger on some of there rifles. Mausers have 2 stage ansdamounts to 4 pieces I believe.

hagar
February 29, 2016, 12:38
Not a big fan of Savage either. I know they shoot well, but they look like chit to me.

nearmisses
February 29, 2016, 13:10
Not a big fan of Savage either. I know they shoot well, but they look like chit to me.

I'm with you Hagar on Savage. Quite cheaply made. That was a beautiful rifle you did find for him on here. I love Mausers and Model 70's, Best Bolt actions out there if you want one to work forever. All the whizbang crap since has been well, un-interesting to me. They all stress one feature over all others making them vunerable to problems already solved by Paul Mauser.

hagar
February 29, 2016, 14:51

Agree on that, I would NEVER buy a rifle with a muzzle brake if I can help it, I just totally despise them. Even my 340 has no brake.

I'll add another thing, there is nothing a 300 Win mag can do that a 7mm magnum cannot do better, and at much greater range. The 7mm has fantastic ballistics, a 162 Amax started at 3100 feet/sec will have more velocity (1800 feet/sec and 1120 ft/lb energy) at 1000 yards than a 300 Win launching a 175 Sierra at the same speed (1500 feet/sec and 864 ft/lb of energy).

nearmisses
February 29, 2016, 18:07
Agree on that, I would NEVER buy a rifle with a muzzle brake if I can help it, I just totally despise them. Even my 340 has no brake.

I'll add another thing, there is nothing a 300 Win mag can do that a 7mm magnum cannot do better, and at much greater range. The 7mm has fantastic ballistics, a 162 Amax started at 3100 feet/sec will have more velocity (1800 feet/sec and 1120 ft/lb energy) at 1000 yards than a 300 Win launching a 175 Sierra at the same speed (1500 feet/sec and 864 ft/lb of energy).

And the 7mm Rem Mag has a more pleasant recoil signature too!

nearmisses
February 29, 2016, 18:21
Along the lines Hagar was expressing here's few picks. 7 Rem Mag, so don't look if you can't be swayed on caliber.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544297890 7RM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544377457

Olaf
February 29, 2016, 21:06
I'll add another thing, there is nothing a 300 Win mag can do that a 7mm magnum cannot do better,

Accept get reloaded with .30 pills :whistling:.
I love the controlled feed of the win. but IMO, Remmy 300 wm for the win

moonbat60
February 29, 2016, 22:03
Would you explain to me what a 2 piece trigger is? Never heard that term before. Are you sure you don't mean a 2 stage trigger? Clarify for those of us
confused by this. A Model 70 has 4 pieces. a trigger, spring, pin and sear. Yhe trigger being one piece. A Remington 700 has a bunch! Savage has a new set trigger on some of there rifles. Mausers have 2 stage ansdamounts to 4 pieces I believe.

I was referring to the Savage trigger with this "blade" in the middle. It seems like Ruger has something similar on the trigger of the American Rimfire.

I like my triggers to be one piece, like, to give you a few examples from the handgun side, BHP, SIG Sauer P226, and not like the one found on a Glock.

My Winchester M70 might not have the greatest trigger in the world, shape and sizewise, but I can work with it.

moonbat60
February 29, 2016, 22:08
After looking a little deeper into it, a 7mm Rem. Mag might be up my alley too.

yovinny
February 29, 2016, 22:18

LOL..:rofl:
You know what,,,,savage actually has a short action now...Only took from 59' to like 2008
They still look like chit,,,but at least they arent still using a 30-06 length action on their 223's :facepalm:

nearmisses
February 29, 2016, 23:33
I was referring to the Savage trigger with this "blade" in the middle. It seems like Ruger has something similar on the trigger of the American Rimfire.

I like my triggers to be one piece, like, to give you a few examples from the handgun side, BHP, SIG Sauer P226, and not like the one found on a Glock.

My Winchester M70 might not have the greatest trigger in the world, shape and sizewise, but I can work with it.

Now I see what you're meaning by 2 piece. It's what's known in the trade as a set trigger. Looks like they copied a Canjar. These triggers work either as a sandard type trigger pull 2-4lb.s. The set portion gets them down to ounces of let-off. It's totally different than a Glock as you call the 2 piece, in that the other part acts as a safety/interupter. The older Mausers used 2 triggers in the trigger guard, one in rear set the front for touchy letoff. The Model 70 trigger is one fantastic trigger when adjusted and honed to perfection for hunting work. If yours is gritty you owe it to yourself to find a Gunsmith that can do it justice in your neck of the woods. Glad the 7mm's growing on you. It's a fine cartridge. Does about anything you could want easily. Glad you found it interesting. Hard to Beat another Model 70 to go with the one you already have. I'm a 7x57 nut. There are some wildcats that can equal it but not too many. Costly to have made 7mmRM does it all in factory trim. Give it a go someday, someone you know should have one you could shoot. Next to a 300 Win Mag, I'd almost bet you'd walk away with the 7 after a few rounds down range.

moonbat60
March 01, 2016, 19:55
nearmisses,

from what I've read about the 7mm Rem Mag, it looks quite interesting regarding ballistic figures.

Basically seen I am looking for another bolt action rifle that would be capable of taking care of zombies and other nasty critters at 1,000 yards and maybe a little beyond.

moonbat60
March 01, 2016, 19:59
On my M70 I've got the trigger set at 1lb. 8oz. and it breaks like glass.

nearmisses
March 02, 2016, 19:39
nearmisses,

from what I've read about the 7mm Rem Mag, it looks quite interesting regarding ballistic figures.

Basically seen I am looking for another bolt action rifle that would be capable of taking care of zombies and other nasty critters at 1,000 yards and maybe a little beyond.

Hmmm, 1000 and beyond cheaply, I'd pratice real hard with the 7mm but sounds like a 338 Lapua is nearer to what you're aiming for or 408 Cheytac. I don't have my Axkley books anymore but there were some windcat 7mm that were suped up somemore ala Weatherby style but burn one helluva lot of powder and barrels to achieve it. Mastering 1000yd.s is hard enough let alone beyond that, happy thought! lots of'em!
I like the trigger specs for your Md. 70, man after my own heart. I set for bang at 2lb.
https://www.cheytac.com/

moonbat60
March 02, 2016, 19:53
I achieved that by taking the trigger system apart and polishing the sh*t out of the engaging surfaces.

There were some tool marks all over, making the trigger kinda gritty.

After that I adjusted the weight downward to a level I was comfortable with.

I bought my Stealth 1 in 2000, along with a buddy who bought a .223. We both tuned our triggers to roughly the same level.

Original pull was horrible, I think it was around 6 or more lbs.

Nuttz
March 02, 2016, 20:46
nearmisses,

Gonna go counter to all the Savage haters around here. I have two and I love em! First is a older model flat-back 110 in 7mm RemMag and it gets the job done but is set aside for carribou hunting. The second is the 10FCPK in 308 and it is my 1000 yard stick. Out of the box, just add glass (Vortex Viper PST) and it's on! No bedding, no trigger work, all stock. With the right ammo (Hornady 178gr SP Match) and my part behind her, 1000 yards, no problem:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/540/kBYrYJ.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/vIKcQk.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/AkY5zs.jpg

moonbat60
March 02, 2016, 23:10
Nice gun and nice shooting, Dz !

Nuttz
March 03, 2016, 09:29
Nice gun and nice shooting, Dz !
Thank you Sir!

hagar
March 03, 2016, 12:19
I have not shot my 7mm magnum at 1000 yards much, but I have done so on a few occasions. I shot it in a practice match one day at the Ben Avery range, and I was squadded with a guy that used to be on the US Palma team, a VERY good shooter, much better than I am. He had a 284/6.5 custom build $3000 rifle with a $1500 scope, me with the $600 Sendero 7mm and a $300 Weaver V16.

We took turns at firing, I would shoot a shot, then he would shoot one. Different than the shoot 15 or 20 shots and you are done we normally shoot.

We were trying to shoot the spindle out of the spotter, the guy in the pitts gave feedback on the radio. We did not hit the spindle(about 1/3rd of an inch wide), but almost every shot hit the 6 inch spotter, and we came very close to the spindle more often than not, less than 1/2 inch away. It was almost unreal how easy it was to hit with that Sendero, my partner commented that he was very impressed that an off the shelf rifle could shoot as good as that.

moonbat60
March 03, 2016, 22:55
I went to Cabelas today and found a rifle that I really liked:

Remington 700 Long Range 7mm Rem Mag 26" HB at $739.99. I've already emailed my FFL to see if he can do it at less $$$.

yovinny
March 05, 2016, 08:49
Good on you,,,Nothing wrong with a remmy,,,though the stocks on the cheap ones leave something to be desired.

While long mauser style extractors have a special place in my heart, I dont get too hung up on that 'control round feed' bull pucky.
I mean, exactly how many semi's, sub and machine guns arent just push feed and require 'control feed' ?
Exactly none I can think of off hand and they seem to get along just fine firing vastly more rounds a whole lot quicker.

Cheers, YV

nearmisses
March 05, 2016, 17:52
I went to Cabelas today and found a rifle that I really liked:

Remington 700 Long Range 7mm Rem Mag 26" HB at $739.99. I've already emailed my FFL to see if he can do it at less $$$.

Is that a new rifle or used? Cabelas can be high priced and on used they are nutty, at least up here they are. Do you have a scope picked out yet to go with it and one more question, do you relaod?
As for controlled round feeding as an issue on a rifle like you want to build, for mostly long range paper punching, not an issue. The whole idea behind controled round feeding is a military issue primarily. You see armies back in 1900 era when these Mausers first came out, were issued to raw uneducated recruits. They could be easily excited in combat and if an uncontroled feed type action had been issued in a wartime enviornment, many more would be dead, try short stroking a bolt action rifle in a combat live or die situation and the idea of controled feed becomes an immediate issue. As for use on Machine guns with shorter cartridges and the like not so much, just don't try to shoot it upside down standing on your head in the mud, Ha! When facing a dangerous game type adversary I want a Mauser system controlled round feeding bolt.
Grizzly Bears or Cape Buffalo don't wait while you clear your action, or shorts!HA!

moonbat60
March 05, 2016, 18:07
nearmisses,

it was a new gun at that price. It is on Remington's website listed around $870 or so.
Regarding a scope I don't have anything in mind yet, or maybe just the brand - Nikon.

I've currently got three Nikon scopes in use, 1 M223, 1 Monarch 3 and 1 M308.

Several of my buddies also got Nikon scopes on a variety of guns and calibers, ranging from .223 all the way to .45-70.

Over the past 3 years I mounted 5 or 6 of them, not including mine.

moonbat60
March 05, 2016, 18:09
By the way, I do reload, in rifle calibers I've done .223, .308 and .45-70, so a belted magnum would fit right in.

nearmisses
March 05, 2016, 18:57
Perchance do you own a chronograph? If you reload for a 26" barrel that can add to the info you will need for drop and such and if you are attaining all the velocity you shoud gain. You need to actually know what the load is doing. With the wrong powder it can sap the performance but not usually. There are some great new magnum powders out there that might get that additional 100' a sec your barell choice should generate with the right stuff. I loaded for a lot of Ruger Number 1's and they had 26" barrels. Can help. Looks like you're on the road to fun and enlightenment on long range shooting. Best get a Chronograph or make friends with someone who has one and a range you can set it up on.

moonbat60
March 05, 2016, 19:36
nearmisses,

I do not own a chronograph, but a buddy of mine has got one.

The closest caliber that I've got in my inventory is .308, and I can full well reproduce just any factory load.

I've used (for .308) powders like Ramshot TAC, AR-Comp, H322, RL-15, RL-7, to name a few, and bullet weights from 130 - 170gr.

nearmisses
March 06, 2016, 01:07
A set of dies and a shell holder and you'll be in business! Someone's sure to have something in the Marketplace or Gunbroker/ ebay. I just bought a new chrono, well, my son in law did and we'll use it to replace my old working one from years gone by. It was /is a great unit but the new one he got has a kit to hook itup to your laptop and see and operate it remotely. Can't wait, like you we are excited by some new family guns we got and want to play around with. he got a SCAR17 and mybuddy lent me his Garand to play with or sell depending on how much I like it. We missed shooting all summer due to fire conditions up here last yer so we're going to make up for it this spring come hell or high water. It's a covered bench so... rain won't be too much an issue.
Many goodies ordered to play with. He found a Mark 4 Leupold 1.5-5 x24 30mm tube and lite. Can't wait to see what it will do. Anyway's you are on your way to a fun summer too it appears. Good luck and you'll probably do fine with the Remmy. They are accurate but can be tweaked to be better. See what she's capableof first then decide if you want to make it any better. Probably will once the bug bites ya hard enough.

moonbat60
March 06, 2016, 13:48
nearmisses,

the 7mm Rem Mag or a .300 Win Mag would be one of the last calibers introduced to my inventory. I'm running out of space.

Whatever caliber I adopt, there will be a set of RCBS dies and a Lee FCD.

drcolossus
March 06, 2016, 17:18
For the money, I'd buy a Remington 700 Varminter in 300 Winmag and spend money on quality glass.

My old man has a 700 Varminter in .308 and it'll shoot better than 90% of us any day of the week. He also handloads which helps.

His rifle was about $700 when he bought it. It shoots great.

Unfortunately Remington does not make their varmint 700 models in 300 win mag.

moonbat60
March 06, 2016, 20:07
The 700 Long Range can be had in .300 Win Mag though.

moonbat60
March 06, 2016, 20:11
Another question:

is the Rem. Sendero SF2 in stainless steel worth the extra $$$ ?

I'm talking about roughly $600 here.

nearmisses
March 07, 2016, 14:26
Here's one they are bidding on used it might help to watch it and see what they end up going for, new is 1200.00 about the same as that fancy Md. 70 was. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=545096341

moonbat60
March 07, 2016, 20:45
nearmisses,

a buddy of mine just threw me another curve ball: he told me to take a closer look at the Weatherbys, especially the Vanguard RC, Mark V Weathermark and the RC series.

He said that Weatherby guarantees accuracy with premium ammo, and their guns are of good quality.

Anybody want to chime in on this ?

yovinny
March 08, 2016, 16:18
nearmisses,

a buddy of mine just threw me another curve ball: he told me to take a closer look at the Weatherbys, especially the Vanguard RC, Mark V Weathermark and the RC series.

He said that Weatherby guarantees accuracy with premium ammo, and their guns are of good quality.

The Vanguard is a HOWA, the MK V is not, but it's also 5x the vanguards price.
Both are hunting rifles with only hunting contour bbl's available, unless they've come out with a varmint model very recently.
My original post was about the Howa 300wm HB.

moonbat60
March 08, 2016, 20:31
Thanks, guys !

The 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum looks great on paper but is a bit too exotic for me.

moonbat60
March 09, 2016, 21:07
The Vanguard is a HOWA, the MK V is not, but it's also 5x the vanguards price.
Both are hunting rifles with only hunting contour bbl's available, unless they've come out with a varmint model very recently.
My original post was about the Howa 300wm HB.

Thanks !

Nuttz
March 10, 2016, 08:30
Another plug for the Savage 10F Series in 308. Found one of the videos of 1000 yards:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_w_f0_xYYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nearmisses
March 10, 2016, 12:36
nearmisses,

If you want to burn a bunch more powder a Weatherby can do that. The Vanguard is another modern action I don't care for. A customer of mine bought one from another dealer and it ruined a hunt for moose he went on when the extractor blew out after 4 rounds sighting it in in, I ordered a Ruger last last minute and got it in time to leave on the flight. Mark V like others said, expensive, you as I recall wanted cheaper. Cheap and accurate = Reminhgton in my book. The others have weaknesses too. Savage has a lousy extractor and a stupid spring and plunger that like to blow out with it. Win Post 64's same way, read Olsens book on Bolt Action Rifles if you want to get real technical. I for one don't care a whit what others think about controlled round feeding and positive ejection but to me it's a critical issue for a bolt rifle.
If it were my money going out the door that Win 70 we discussed before would be my pick hands down in 7rm or better yet, for me ,not you, is one in 280 RCBS.

hagar
March 10, 2016, 12:51
For a hunting rifle, not a target rifle, I would pick a Ruger any day over a Winchester or Remington. I have a Ruger 270 with the boat paddle stock that will shoot well under moa out to 300 yards. And that will never fail to feed or extract. But I like Weatherby MK V's for Elk hunting as well, but only reason to buy a Weatherby is if you are going 338 or bigger. Don't like the Vanguard much, had a 30/06 that shot well, but by far not the same quality as a MK V.

moonbat60
March 10, 2016, 18:34
Thanks guys for the eye-opener. A good dose of reality is never a waste IMHO.

kmurphy
March 10, 2016, 20:30
CZ 550-series?

nearmisses
March 10, 2016, 22:13
CZ 550-series?

These are great rifles, almost, well, I did forget them! Glad you brought them up. I did a 416 Rigby on a long and 250-3000 on a short with some help from Tom Burgess, years ago, they were dynamite actions.

kmurphy
March 10, 2016, 22:38
These are great rifles, almost, well, I did forget them! Glad you brought them up. I did a 416 Rigby on a long and 250-3000 on a short with some help from Tom Burgess, years ago, they were dynamite actions.

Always wanted one in 6.5x55mm for some reason.

ftierson
March 10, 2016, 23:21
Always wanted one in 6.5x55mm for some reason.

I picked up a CZ550 American in 6.5x55mm a number of years back. I've been very happy with it, especially since it's chambered in the finest cartridge on earth. :)

I apologize if I missed a comment about barrel length but, while Howa rifles are sold under their own name and as Weatherby Vanguards, the 'standard' barrel Howa hunting rifles in non-magnum chamberings come with a 22 inch barrel (except for 20 inch in the lightweight) and the same thing in a Weatherby Vanguard has a 24 inch barrel (a vote in favor of the Vanguard to my way of thinking). The Howa Heavy Barrel rifle in .308 comes with a 24 inch barrel. I'd prefer a 26, but it is what it is... The Howa magnum cartridge rifles have a 24 inch barrel (as I remember it) and the Weatherby Vanguards a 26 (again, my vote goes to the Vanguard).

In terms of the extractor blowing out problem reported earlier here, was this an excessive charge issue (I've seen (and have a number of them myself) many Howa/Vanguard series rifles and I haven't heard of this problem before)?

Forrest

moonbat60
March 11, 2016, 09:19
I can't comment on the extractor issue but from what I know, it happens once in a while.

To throw another wrench into the gears, a friend of mine advise me to look at Sako. He said that they got the model that I am looking for and also in the caliber(s) I want: a Sako 85 Long Range, with a 26" bull barrel and synthetic stock.

He said the street price should be around 1 grand or a little over.

Any comments ?

yovinny
March 11, 2016, 12:58
FWIW, the Howa action is not 'new', it's been around for ages and made it's first appearance here in the US many years ago under the mossberg and smith & wesson labels.

The action itself is basically a cross between the remmy 700, win 70 and sako actions.
It has same basic size of a remmy, in fact some models can use remmy bases.
It has the machined, full size recoil lug like a win 70 (copied from mauser), instead of a thin lug just sandwiched between the action and barrel, like a remmy or savage.
And it uses a push feed bolt, but with a sako style extractor, like a sako, m16, etc.
It's also uses forged pieces for both receiver and bolt and has an easy no tool needed bolt take down.

I personally feed their just fantastic actions for the price and while I've seen remmy bolts modified to use a sako extractor fail, I've never seen that before on an actual sako or howa.
I also like the 'look' of it with a win 70 style bolt and knob, but the better (IMHO) sliding safety.

Lot of gunsmiths tent to dislike working on them because there threaded metric and as such, at least just require more time and effort, if not just being beyond lots of gunsmith lathes threading capability altogether.....

Personally, I havent seen one yet in a hunting weight barrel that wouldent shoot as good as a 700 and a good step above a 70.
The older HB police model 308 and newer HB varmint 22-250 I have, both shoot under 1/2 MOA with factory barrels.

Just my .02
Cheers, YV

moonbat60
March 11, 2016, 22:17
today in the afternoon I was at Cabelas and took at some of their long range rifles in 7mm Rem. Mag.

There were three that caught my eye:

#1 Remington 700 Long Range / Rem. catalog # 84163

#2 Sako A7 Long Range Roughtech / Gallery of Guns # JRMLR70F

#3 Remington 700 Sendero SF2 / Rem. catalog #27311

This is about as narrowed down as I can get it, at least for now.

raubvogel
March 13, 2016, 19:44
This auction has ended but seems like the kind of rifle that has been mentioned here
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=546718386

moonbat60
March 13, 2016, 20:36
Thanks raubvogel,

but we had different models in mind. Synthetic stocks, bull / heavy barrel etc.

nearmisses
March 15, 2016, 12:04
That's a Post 64 Model 70, no controlled round feeding, just like a Rem 700. at a reasonable price. My son in law has one and they can be very accurate too.
Here's one along that line in a Laredo 7RM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=547306597

moonbat60
March 15, 2016, 19:15
Thanks, nm !

gaijinsamurai
March 15, 2016, 21:19
Another plug for the Savage 10F Series in 308. Found one of the videos of 1000 yards:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_w_f0_xYYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love the Savage Model 10. I had no problems at all hitting steel at 1000 yards with this one, in .300 WSM.

http://i.imgur.com/2xMr4Nel.jpg

My Model 10 in .308 has a Nikon Monarch. It's no Nightforce, but will do the job nicely, and I'm quite happy with it.

http://i.imgur.com/DmWPqHJl.jpg

Nuttz
March 16, 2016, 05:29
http://i.imgur.com/2xMr4Nel.jpg

Awesome!!!! :bow:

P.S. I use the same Simmons spotting scope too. It has an iPhone mounted to it in the video above.

moonbat60
March 18, 2016, 20:55
I think I'll stay with the 7mm Rem. Mag for now, as both of the .300s ( Win Mag and WSM) are barrel burners.

Regarding rifles, I'm still looking at the Remmys and the Sako, also at the Tikka T3x Laminated Stainless.

gaijinsamurai
March 18, 2016, 22:55
If I could afford a Sako, I would not hesitate to buy one.

moonbat60
March 19, 2016, 05:18
My FFL quoted me a price of $1,300 out je door for the Sako.