PDA

View Full Version : Scope Problem Remington 770

MacRob
February 21, 2016, 09:33
My son bought a Remington 770 in .270 last week. It has the scope package. We took it out to zero it yesterday but found that to be impossible. I know, of course, that this gun is entry level and very basic, but the scope simply will not zero. We finally cranked it down to its mechanical limit for elevation and the round was still impacting well over a foot high at 50 yards. I suspect there is something wrong with the scope which is unmarked as to maker or origin. We will see if Remington will exchange it or, probably better, I will look for a decent scope for his rifle. The rifle functions OK, a little stiff but that will improve with shooting.

Anybody have any experience with these Remington scopes? He has a Remington .22 with a scope he bought as a package and, while it took a while to zero, it now shoots very well.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

MAINER
February 21, 2016, 16:33
Make sure the rings and mounts are tight and not shifting.

Are you hitting the paper? If not, place a target 25 yards out and test fire. It doesn't matter where the bullet strike is as long as it's on the paper.
Next, while one person holds the rifle steady in the same position , the other adjusts the windage and elevation adjustments to center the crosshairs on the bullet hole.
This procedure supposes that the rifle was fired with the crosshairs centered on the bullseye in the first firing.

You should now be roughly zero'd. If you can't move the reticle, your scope is screwed as you suggested.
If you can move the reticle, try shooting a box, ie; 10 clicks up, fire a shot, 10 clicks right, fire a shot, then 10 clicks down etc. You may want to go 20 clicks on the test as 10 clicks doesn't move the POI very much at 25 yards.

I suspect as you do that the scope is a bummer. Remington should replace it, but I wouldn't waste my time with it. I'd have them replace it anyway just to aggravate them.

Let the members here know what kind of scope or shooting your son will be doing and how much money he is willing to pay for a decent scope that works.

MacRob
February 21, 2016, 20:26
Thanks Mainer...I appreciate your taking your time to reply.

I think the horizontal reticle is broken. After trying to get it on the paper at 50 yards I finally walked out to about 20 yards from the target and fired a couple of rounds. Holding at the center of the Leupold sighting-in target, I got two holes at the top of the paper, not on the sighting grid, side by side. The thing is really off. That was with the reticle cranked down to its mechanical limit, which means the previous rounds were probably flying two or three feet over the target frame. There is no more downward adjustment to make. We are going to ask Remington to swap it out - probably won't get one any better - but if they want us to send the gun back before they will do it, I will just put one of my scopes on it or find one for him in the market place. Your ideas are good and I use them whenever I mount a new scope but in this case the scope is junk so I could not even try them. Given the price of the gun and scope - $279, the scope would probably retail for $39. Would not expect much from it but you might expect it to work at least once!! By the way, the rings and bases are secured. Cheap crap though so I think I will replace them as well.

He called a while ago to say he pulled the bolt out of the rifle to clean it and now it won't go back in. He sent photos. I downloaded the manual and it looks as if the firing pin must be in the cocked position to go into the action. I will have to pay him a visit one evening next week and look it over. I am pretty sure it is something simple.

Thanks again....

yovinny
February 21, 2016, 20:47
You could also try running the adjustment through it's whole range of travel a few times,,,then center it and try again. It's most likely broke, but sometimes they just get stuck...

ArtBanks
February 22, 2016, 07:39
You could also try running the adjustment through it's whole range of travel a few times,,,then center it and try again. It's most likely broke, but sometimes they just get stuck...

Excellent suggestion. Then check ring mounting.

MacRob
February 22, 2016, 08:19

We actually did that a couple of times while at the range. But it is a good suggestion, just did not work.

nearmisses
February 27, 2016, 17:59
The comments got me to looking. Here's a review that may tell what you already know. His and your results may vary.
http://www.huntinggearguy.com/rifle-reviews/remington-770-review/