PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Cans? Are they fun?

meltblown
February 18, 2016, 19:54
Well today signed up for the stamp club for an Omega to put on my scoped STG. Should I go ahead and get one for the pistols? Wow! Having to buy threaded barrels and high sights sure makes it hard to decide.

Cans are more expensive than a nice pistol. WHy do I see this as a pending money pit?

4x401
February 18, 2016, 21:49
Threaded pistol barrels can be had pretty reasonable these days. And having high sights isn't nessasarily a requirement. My wife and both daughters get consistant hits shooting a G-19 with attached AAC Evolution. I seem to do alright with my G-21 and Gemtech.

Invictus77
February 18, 2016, 22:18
Speaking purely from my own humble opinion, I don't get the "fun factor" in a pistol with the big can on the end.

Now a S&W MP15-22 with a red-dot sight and a bunch of steel plates, that there gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.....WOW!!!

Splut...CLANG!
Splut...CLANG!
Splut...CLANG!
Splut...CLANG!
Splut...CLANG!
Splut...CLANG!
Splut...CLANG!
etc.

(PS-Insert an occasional "splut...dang" randomly too :) )

gates
February 19, 2016, 09:32
In a word - YES, I have a can for .22 which I use on a Buckmark Whisper, Walther P22 and a MP15-22 - GREAT fun, I also have a can for my .45's also fun but not as much as the .22. Have paperwork in for an Omega which I plan on running on a SCAR, M-4gery, and Blackout...

Texgunner
February 19, 2016, 10:13
I shot a friend's Glock 17 with a Gemtech can last Sunday. Not being able to use the sights was not as big a problem as I first thought. But, I was only shooting at about 30 feet.

Fun? Yeah, I guess.

John A
February 19, 2016, 11:17
I make my own can's. Don't have over $200 in materials in any of them (going this evening to get cleo signature for my third). Matter of fact, the first one I built, I probably don't have $75 in materials in it and that includes paying for engraving because I'm not set up for that step myself.

You're paying for their research and rollmark.

Some are better than others, some are lighter than others. Do your research and make sure you're going to be happy with it and like it because there is not much of a market for used suppressors and you're not going to get much out of it by selling or trade value if you have buyers remorse or something else comes along in the future.

I avoid titanium in rifle calibers though. They tend to be "sparky" with higher velocity loads. They're not a problem with pistol caliber cans.

Titanium is also one of the main ingredients in sparklers and fireworks too btw.

pre1989
February 19, 2016, 17:13
yes
http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q665/JohnConrad5/th_1F4C8940-D9AD-4772-BBC0-B353A51E81CE_zpsz40ar3uh.mp4 (http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q665/JohnConrad5/1F4C8940-D9AD-4772-BBC0-B353A51E81CE_zpsz40ar3uh.mp4)
http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q665/JohnConrad5/C98A194F-C5D3-49E3-BA32-95D865F33D3E_zpsvxvagtib.jpg (http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/JohnConrad5/media/C98A194F-C5D3-49E3-BA32-95D865F33D3E_zpsvxvagtib.jpg.html)

Some cans like the Omega and the Mystic can be used on rifle and pistol and some 45 can will work with subsonic rifle loads or of course PCC

And yes pistol cans are very fun ..Wate till you try a can on a Nagant it will blow your world

meltblown
February 19, 2016, 17:28
Impressive John. I swaged a guess that mass production and documentation stuff that they are about $300 pieces. Too late on Ti for I'm old enough and poor enough that I don't think I will wear it out. Putting it on the end if my STG sniper so weight is my concern. Pistol seems to be cool. I can always use it on a pistol caliber rifle or 300 subsonic BO. SBR h&k type 9mm. Just sayin

L Haney
February 19, 2016, 20:09
Hell yes! SIG 1911-22, Gemtech Outback IID. No need for high sights. Can weighs nothing. Hollywood quiet with standard velocity ammo.

Make you laugh out loud.

K. Funk
February 19, 2016, 22:51
I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a Tactical Innovations TAC 65 on the end. Fun? Yes. Practical? Yes. Utility? Yes. It is a very accurate silent pistol with the right ammunition. It fills a niche in the fun dept as well as the "useful tool" dept.

krf

mike12345
February 20, 2016, 21:17
They can be fun and more enjoyable to shoot. The novelty kind of wears off. You may get tired of having a can hanging off the end of your pistol.

I don't use full size pistols anymore my handguns are for carry.

mike12345
February 20, 2016, 21:39
The thread on pistol cans will unscrew as you shoot them. You'll have to check if its tight from time to time.

oh, don't bother trying to suppress a .40 S&W.

gates
February 21, 2016, 00:53
"The thread on pistol cans will unscrew as you shoot them. You'll have to check if its tight from time to time."

yep! good advice - they do work themselves loose, then you have an end cap strike and have to send it back to the mfg for repair - or not if you follow Mikes advice... second on the .40 - no reason to even try.

SWOHFAL
February 21, 2016, 01:28
The thread on pistol cans will unscrew as you shoot them. You'll have to check if its tight from time to time.

oh, don't bother trying to suppress a .40 S&W.

What about a tiny dab of low strength loctite first?

mike12345
February 21, 2016, 04:36
You'll have to re-apply it and let it dry before use.

You will be taking the can off the gun to clean it. Teflon tape can work but still a pain to apply.

mike12345
February 21, 2016, 04:55
Dispite the no cleaning policy on suppressors, I would scrape the carbon out of the recoil booster.

I had the piston for the recoil booster get stuck in the fired position. All the way back sticking out of the cap. Had to beat the piston out with a block of wood.

I started screwing just the piston onto the barrel and using it as a carbon scraper, spin it around in the end cap so it can move freely. It may get stuck otherwise.

dtom29
February 21, 2016, 11:19
All the major Suppressor manufacturers have solved the sparking issue with Titanium. Not an issue any more. The weight of a steel suppressor will always be an issue. If you get a heavy can you will come to regret it.

"The thread on pistol cans will unscrew as you shoot them. You'll have to check if its tight from time to time." The key to this statement is "time to time". I have six pistol silencers and have VERY little problem with them unscrewing. You just need to see what happens with your pistol/can combo and go from there. Don't let these two statements scare you away from either Titanium or a pistol silencer. You'll love both.

Artful
February 22, 2016, 13:04
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a0cMuEpVOuQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/epK70OzQgKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plus you can use your can on your carbine's as well
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YXc0rm6dzVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ALL FAL
February 22, 2016, 21:41
That's why I won't spend the $ to get one, had enough of Sam getting too much.
But, you guys have fun. :)

gates
February 23, 2016, 00:09
Missing out AF - they ARE fun and totally worth the tariff, most of us could easily build rogue cans but why risk a "pound in the butt" prison term over $200. To each their own.

ALL FAL
February 23, 2016, 22:38
I have NO rogue cans, but a shop to build if needed, I know what they are and stated my reason for not buying or Kissing unky butt.

L Haney
February 23, 2016, 22:48
I have NO rogue cans, but a shop to build if needed, I know what they are and stated my reason for not buying or Kissing unky butt.

Dave, you ever find yourself enamored of a particular can, I'll pony up the federal freight. Let me know. I'll fedex two benjamins and Sam won't eat a dime of yours for it.

Deal?

stimpsonjcat
February 24, 2016, 15:32
OVERKILL!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/p22can.jpg

Just right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/p22wsparrow.jpg

meltblown
February 24, 2016, 15:37
Damn EOtech refund still not here:( I'm going for it. Just want to have the funds in hand from my gun fund.

mike12345
February 24, 2016, 19:03
OVERKILL!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/p22can.jpg

Just right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41190821/gunstuff/p22wsparrow.jpg

I'm guessing you couldn't find irons for that. That's a nice optic set up I'll bet it's quiet.

stimpsonjcat
February 25, 2016, 11:27
I'm guessing you couldn't find irons for that. That's a nice optic set up I'll bet it's quiet.

It's too cumbersome...the Sparrow is plenty of hush for that pistol

L Haney
February 25, 2016, 12:41
The novelty kind of wears off. You may get tired of having a can hanging off the end of your pistol.

Have to disagree on this point. Pistol it's on it stays on. Bought the pistol just for this purpose. The suppressor isn't an accessory in this case, it's part of that handgun the way I look at it.

pmf
February 26, 2016, 15:34
Well today signed up for the stamp club for an Omega to put on my scoped STG. Should I go ahead and get one for the pistols? Wow! Having to buy threaded barrels and high sights sure makes it hard to decide.

Cans are more expensive than a nice pistol. WHy do I see this as a pending money pit?

I think they're a waste of money. You pay a $200 tax stamp and then another $100 fee to your FFL --- that's $300 in fees to own something that costs maybe $500. There is absolutely no resale market for silencers. Even an in-state sale involves a $200 stamp.

I have a Walther P22 and a Tactical Innovations silencer. It's not Hollywood quiet like I had expected. Kind of gee whiz neato when you get it, but the novelty wear off pretty quick. I can't remember the last time I even fondled it. I guess it's a cheap way to get into NFA. The resale market for machine guns is real healthy. You won't lose money on one.

meltblown
February 26, 2016, 16:55
Most of our hobby is a waste of money. All one really needs is a couple of pistols, shotgun, and a couple of rifles.

You already give gub excise taxes on firearms and ammo. The guy I am dealing with is not charging me a transfer fee.

No love for anything .22 RF. Maybe an in the city limits squirrel/varmet rifle with a can would make sense

I think it would be fun when working with the wife. Not to mention I have friend who lives in the county with 4 acres. We can shoot and not really get much attention.

hueyville
February 26, 2016, 19:37
Most of our hobby is a waste of money. All one really needs is a couple of pistols, shotgun, and a couple of rifles.

You already give gub excise taxes on firearms and ammo. The guy I am dealing with is not charging me a transfer fee.

No love for anything .22 RF. Maybe an in the city limits squirrel/varmet rifle with a can would make sense

I think it would be fun when working with the wife. Not to mention I have friend who lives in the county with 4 acres. We can shoot and not really get much attention.

Have a pair of tip barrel Beretta 22's, one 22 short and the other long rifle both with matching threaded barrels and can that swaps between them. Have a bullet trap in basement of house with 50 foot clear shooting zone. While have the full size single lane indoor range for up to 7.62x39 rifle with 60 feet at work, plinking with the Beretta's in the basement without aggregating the wife is way nice. Days don't feel like leaving home and raining can get some trigger time in the house without any issues. The Jetfire with shorts is a bit anemic but the Minx with 60 grain Aguila Sniper Subsonic's carry as much muzzle energy as 40 grain supersonic loads.

Have bullet trap for handguns in back yard and backstop for rifles and houses either side have been unoccupied for years. Now one has sold and new neighbors are nice but blazing away with a 1911 or AR 15 would probably get aggravating pretty quickly though have told them during season welcome to shoot deer in my yard and they plan on it. They said to please snipe any coyote as have a pair of little yippy dogs that are coyote bait and ground hogs as doing basement repairs already due to the vermin.

So out of being neighborly and not wanting to stop my bigger bore shooting ordered a pair of rifle cans and a can for my 1911's. Will put one on the night vision rifle that sits bedside and keep other for moving around as needed. When shooting pistols or rifle in yard will use all the new cans mixed with others to keep things quieter. So if the option is able to shoot if have can as opposed to little shooting without, going to stack them deep to keep wear down and have spares if one needs to go in for service.

Since adding so much so fast and new regulations going into effect did a Trust, ordered two AAC multicaliber rifle cans for 308 and down along with an Osprey 45 can that is multicaliber also. Going to transfer my Title 1 223 can, Title 1 M11 can and rimfire can into the Trust and knock out an SBR and SBS before the new cutoff date. Not cheap but lucked out and sold my 50 BMG to cover most of the investment.

Fired a TiRant 45 acp can just the other day before placing the order. With my major power factor IPSC loads the thing was quiet enough to not need hearing protection. Didn't like it as blocked low profile sights on carry pistols. The Osprey can being more rectangular should allow a normal sight picture on most.

Ordered two AAC 7.62-SD's after putting a demo on one of my 6.8 AR's and a 5.56 AR. Have the 51T adapters on multiple rifles already as had this planned for a while but was not in big hurry till new rules started getting close and was able to sell something to cover costs. Now have adapters on way for two FN's, two turn bolts, received the adapters and adjustable gas plugs for two M1a's today and ordered two more 1/2"28 and two 5/8"24. Will be ordering barrels and adapters for pistols soon as sort out what all is needed and should be able to bring most of my noise into tolerable levels for neighbors. That is where I see 90% of a suppressors joy factor.

meltblown
February 26, 2016, 19:51
Thanks for posting Huey. I'll try to sort through the post over the next couple of days. :wink:

Artful
February 26, 2016, 23:06
biggest problem with Osprey suppressor is not user/owner serviceable, has to be sent back to Silencerco. Ti-Rant comes apart so you can clean it yourself.

meltblown
February 27, 2016, 08:33
biggest problem with Osprey suppressor is not user/owner serviceable, has to be sent back to Silencerco. Ti-Rant comes apart so you can clean it yourself.

Octane

Artful
February 27, 2016, 13:10
Octane

No He said
Didn't like it as blocked low profile sights on carry pistols. The Osprey can being more rectangular should allow a normal sight picture on most.

Both AAC Ti-Rant (2nd Gen) and Silencerco Octane are user serviceable - the Osprey is NOT.

meltblown
February 27, 2016, 13:23
No He said

Both AAC Ti-Rant (2nd Gen) and Silencerco Octane are user serviceable - the Osprey is NOT.

Sorry. I haven't had time to read his post

Artful
February 28, 2016, 00:41
No worries :D

hueyville
February 28, 2016, 06:42
Just purchased one of the new Titanium Hybrid 45 cans today. With adapters can be run on rifle, pistol and rimfire. Local guy took delivery of one last week. Purchased 45 piston, 9mm piston, rimfire adapter, 223 end cap and 1/228 adapter for AR and others. Called maker, told anything 46 caliber and under o.k. Specifically asked about 460 Weatherby Mag. Was told fine, screwed it up and let full house factory 460 Weatherby Mag rounds through it with no harm and rolled over to his 1911 and runs perfect. Since parts will be no issue after new rules, be a nice can to have around for unforeseen applications.

My plan is get all moved and enough purchased nobody in Trust will have to do the CLEO approval, fingerprint cards, background check, etc. Will be enough cans and a SBR along with SBS which will be fun toys for a generation at least. Likely do the Osprey 45 can also due to offset design for clear sight picture. Hurts to spend deep now but if we end up with a jerk that won't sign off down the road won't have to worry.

meltblown
February 28, 2016, 09:09
No sign offs are required after mid July.

ArtBanks
February 28, 2016, 11:40
Just right and I use the suppressor on my Sig 1911/22 too.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0384_zpsceroablp.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0384_zpsceroablp.jpg.html)

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0383_zpsgpptxpqs.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0383_zpsgpptxpqs.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art

gates
February 29, 2016, 00:45
PMF- "It's not Hollywood quiet like I had expected"

Put some cable pulling grease in the muzzle end or pour water in it - Hollywood quiet (for 8-10 rds), IF you shoot subsonic, though you still get a bit of first rd pop.

BigBoy1
February 29, 2016, 07:38
I have one .22LR suppressor and I have a total 5 guns on which it can be used. Four hand guns and a 10/22 rifle. Having the threaded muzzles makes swapping between guns a breeze.

Artful
March 02, 2016, 01:22
Took out my newly threaded Rossi 357 Lever gun
Loaded with 153 grain over RedDot for 800+ fps

Like shooting a large 22 and with the can was even quieter.

pmf
March 08, 2016, 15:46
PMF- "It's not Hollywood quiet like I had expected"

Put some cable pulling grease in the muzzle end or pour water in it - Hollywood quiet (for 8-10 rds), IF you shoot subsonic, though you still get a bit of first rd pop.

I tried dipping it in water and didn't hear any difference. The first round is louder than subsequent rounds. Sounds the same with sub-sonic, or regular 22 to me.

fmj_shooter
March 08, 2016, 16:30
I tried dipping it in water and didn't hear any difference. The first round is louder than subsequent rounds. Sounds the same with sub-sonic, or regular 22 to me.

Subsonic ammo is generally made for rifles. High velocity 22lr will not reach supersonic in your Walther P22. Don't waste you $$ shooting subsonic through a 22lr pistol, save it for the rifles.
If you want something crazy quiet, shoot some Aguila super-colibris through your can, they wont cycle the action or go very far, but they're funny as hell.

Whenever I clean my 22 can, SWR/Silencerco Spectre II, I put a generous amount of grease or heavy oil on the baffles. This particular can is known for having a tame 1st round pop.

gates
March 09, 2016, 21:27
First round pop is a universal problem it can be mitigated by running the can wet or greased, I notice the reduction is more pronounced in my .45 can but it works with the .22 can too - and I do notice a difference in subsonic V regular velocity in my .22 can with no ears - maybe it's wishful thinking:-)

Artful
March 09, 2016, 21:51
When you say dipping it in water - What does that mean?

Did you open the action and submerge the can while on the gun, let it
fill and let it drain, then shoot it? Or What?

gates
March 09, 2016, 22:09
You pee in it and screw it onto your pistol - if you are in the field with no water intent on taking out a sentry, otherwise, pour a little water in it from your water bottle and screw it onto your pistol:wink:

Trust me - it works.

Just Google wet/dry suppressors and you will see what I'm talking about - this is basic stuff.

L Haney
March 10, 2016, 06:23
Subsonic ammo is generally made for rifles. High velocity 22lr will not reach supersonic in your Walther P22. Don't waste you $$ shooting subsonic through a 22lr pistol, save it for the rifles.

The HV stuff definitely goes ss in my SIG. Tried a lot of different ammo til I found the CCI 'Green Tag'. Box says 1070 fps. It cycles the action and is very accurate. It's also "crazy quiet."

I can usually find it around here on the shelves as most folks do want the HV ammo.

Need to try wetting the can but not sure how much I'd gain. The bullet impact is louder than the muzzle report. Maybe it will help with that first round pop which is noticeable.

Really wish I had got this can years ago.

fmj_shooter
March 10, 2016, 12:24
The HV stuff definitely goes ss in my SIG. Tried a lot of different ammo til I found the CCI 'Green Tag'. Box says 1070 fps. It cycles the action and is very accurate. It's also "crazy quiet."

I can usually find it around here on the shelves as most folks do want the HV ammo.

Need to try wetting the can but not sure how much I'd gain. The bullet impact is louder than the muzzle report. Maybe it will help with that first round pop which is noticeable.

Really wish I had got this can years ago.

I should clarify. Its not a universal concept. 4" barrels will typically shoot HV subsonic, I don't know about hyper vel ammo and the like. 5" and 6" barrels get mixed results with different ammos. I shoot a 4" trail-lite barrel on my Buckmark, all HV and Standard Vel. are subsonic in that setup. It definitely does not produce the crack the the rifle makes with the same ammo. The HV that I have used is: CCI Minimags (round and hollow points), Remington Golden Bullet bulk, Federal AutoMatch, and Federal bulk.

gates
March 10, 2016, 20:33
EVERY suppressor company is fighting FIRST ROUND POP (FRP) - "wet" suppressors are MARKEDLY quieter than dry cans - again, thermodynamics - if you have a cooling medium IN the can it will ALWAYS be quieter than a dry can - ALWAYS.

stimpsonjcat
March 10, 2016, 21:32
I don't like the idea of introducing water into my cans.

A little oil maybe, but not worth it to me.

fmj_shooter
March 10, 2016, 22:57
Most modern cans do not run the risk of damage from water, being made of stainless and/or aluminum typically. Besides, the water will evaporate while you shoot. The water helps cool the gases, making it quieter. Water is better than oil at cooling said gases. I just use grease because it wont run out in storage, but it gets smokey :cool:

Snyper762
March 11, 2016, 11:27
They are a hoot and worth the bs tax to me. I have 1 pistol and one rifle can. Pistol is a 45 titanium and rifle is 30 cal stainless. Both from sas.

Artful
March 11, 2016, 15:30
Thank you Gates but I was asking pmf.

Remind me to stand upwind when you shoot. :tongue:

hueyville
March 11, 2016, 18:58
My 22 can uses what looks like a compressed copper pot scrubber pad that has been pressed into shape. Only way to really clean when gets saturated with powder residue is an ultrasonic parts cleaner which is simple enough. It also uses a rubber wipe as a seal just under the exit end, screw end off, put in new wipe (rubber washer with hole in center) and resume fun. As can fills with residue and wipe wears it slowly gets lounder. I cut my rubber washers in bulk on my CNC router and it drills a 0.125 hole dead center.

If can is clean and has fresh wipe can literally hear the slide on my little tip barrels, bullet hitting target and brass landing on concrete over the actual sound of round going off with subsonic ammo. The 60 grain Aguila Sniper Subsonic's hit with same energy as a standard high velocity 40 grain 22 rimfire round. First magazine would only hear the slide and bullet impact if brass landed on dirt, grass, carpet, etc. If change wipe every 2 255 rounds guns stay quiet for over 100 rounds then around half brick it's still quiet but not nearly silent.

Take end caps off, drop in ultrasonic, replace ends with new wipe and it is closest thing to silent ever shot. It was my first Title 1 can and a deceased genius helped me do all the work based on his design. It actually spoiled me and no other dry can has ever impressed me as much. Though wet cans can be much quieter, I don't need the extra and only run dry cans. Have a friend who is a wet can freak and some of his are really quiet. Often other than bullet strike, surrounding background noise will override all but bullet hitting a solid target. I prefer dry and the little extra sound signature.

meltblown
March 11, 2016, 19:12
Shit what I hate is no instant gratification. The deal is done. Maybe Christmas in June. Do Files members get an accelerated program?

Rudolf
March 13, 2016, 02:49
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/FILE0007.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/CIMG1099.JPG

Artful
March 13, 2016, 15:44
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Misc/th_P1050434.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/Misc/P1050434.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Misc/th_P1050440.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/Misc/P1050440.jpg.html)

smaller is better

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/FAL/th_dsc05918aa3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/FAL/dsc05918aa3.jpg.html)

BigBoy1
March 15, 2016, 15:55
The biggest advantage of a .22 Cal. suppressor is you can suppress more then one gun. I've gotten threaded muzzle adapters for my S&W 422, Witney Wolverine, S&W 22A, .22 Cal. conversion kit for my Sig P220 and Sig Mosquito. The same suppressor fits on all of them so I can have many guns to chose from to shoot suppressed.

fmj_shooter
March 15, 2016, 21:43
The biggest advantage of a .22 Cal. suppressor is you can suppress more then one gun. I've gotten threaded muzzle adapters for my S&W 422, Witney Wolverine, S&W 22A, .22 Cal. conversion kit for my Sig P220 and Sig Mosquito. The same suppressor fits on all of them so I can have many guns to chose from to shoot suppressed.

And a well made 22 can will last longer than you need to worry about.