PDA

View Full Version : WTK

Eyeguy
February 16, 2016, 14:06
Just ordered my first M1A and plan to mount optics. Looking for feedback on your experience and satisfaction with the various mounts available. I see SA, Sadlak, Fulton Armory and Smith Enterprise models among others. I'm looking for a mount that centers well over the receiver and will allow me to use irons when needed. Only Sadlak lists those available features from when I've been able to find.

What say the learned here?

TIA for sharing knowledge.

Found a you tube review on a mount from Basset Machine in Dripping Springs TX. Simple design and reasonable price.

Still no feedback on the original post. Am I the only one who wants to scope an M1A?

Jarhead504
February 17, 2016, 21:21
SADLAK. Get the SADLAK. You don't need > 10x either. Also, some kind of way you are going to have to have an elevated 'cheek piece' to maintain a spotwell . This approach will vary greatly according to how much you are willing to spend, how much you are willing to modify the rifle, your ergonomics in selecting a rising cheek piece and how well it will match the alignment and function of the scope, mount and rings.

There are plenty choices out there. Keep-a looking and keep asking. If possible, try to shoot other friends' rifles already altered. However you must remember it may be customized for HIM and not necessarily EXACT for you, but could be changed to fit you and your rifle perfectly. Have money and patience at the ready.

And welcome aboard to the world of owning an M-14 clone. What rifle and configuration did you say you were getting?

Jarhead

Eyeguy
February 18, 2016, 22:05
SADLAK. Get the SADLAK. You don't need > 10x either. Also, some kind of way you are going to have to have an elevated 'cheek piece' to maintain a spotwell . This approach will vary greatly according to how much you are willing to spend, how much you are willing to modify the rifle, your ergonomics in selecting a rising cheek piece and how well it will match the alignment and function of the scope, mount and rings.

There are plenty choices out there. Keep-a looking and keep asking. If possible, try to shoot other friends' rifles already altered. However you must remember it may be customized for HIM and not necessarily EXACT for you, but could be changed to fit you and your rifle perfectly. Have money and patience at the ready.

And welcome aboard to the world of owning an M-14 clone. What rifle and configuration did you say you were getting?

Jarhead

Thanks Jarhead.

M1A loaded, carbon steel barrel, precision adjustable stock. I've had good luck with Magpul's PRS so expect this to feel familiar.

Ok. So if I'm looking to modify the rifle as I go, what can be done to have greatest impact on accuracy? Unitizing the gas system, upgrades to gas adjust, etc? I've just started reading on the M1A so learning as I go.

Important to know that I'm not looking to compete. Just love the platform, the history and spending time at the range and fortunate to have easy access to ranges out to 1000 yards.

rbgonoles
February 18, 2016, 22:12
Alright, now we definitely need to shoot at Manatee. Here's my JRA M1A.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag403/burker2525/JRAM14%2002214963_zpszla9yxuw.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/burker2525/media/JRAM14%2002214963_zpszla9yxuw.jpg.html)

Aeroscout
February 18, 2016, 22:14
Basset....simple, and it works.

http://www.bassettmachine.com/

Eyeguy
February 19, 2016, 00:30
Alright, now we definitely need to shoot at Manatee. Here's my JRA M1A.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag403/burker2525/JRAM14%2002214963_zpszla9yxuw.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/burker2525/media/JRAM14%2002214963_zpszla9yxuw.jpg.html)

Nice! You're on Ryan. I'll let you know when she come in and I get her set up. I have a scope ready to go.

I'll bring the tiger striped Garand I picked up from Adam. Haven't had a chance to shoot her yet either.

Eyeguy
February 19, 2016, 00:37

Thanks Aeroscout.

I like what I've seen of the Bassett also. Talked to Bren (Seriously, Dad named her after the rifle) at Bassett Wednesday. She confirmed that their mount centers well over the receiver, allows continued use of the irons and was designed with enough height to avoid issues with case ejection. Really like the simple on and off. Gotta make a decision.......

yovinny
February 19, 2016, 09:07

Curious, what glass are you using with that and how much have you shot it ?

I dont know, I still like ARMS mounts. Double screw, plus I glue mine in.

Personally, I've never found a single screw M14 mount that would hold zero worth a hoot, even with small glass.

ServiceRifle
February 19, 2016, 10:23
The BEST M1A mount (IMO) out there is the Israeli all steel M21 mount (with the integral 26mm rings and the one point side mount ratchet thumb screw). If you search on Nimrod scopes you will probably turn up a photo of the Issy mount. They use to be available in the US about 10 years ago but try to find one now. I have two and I had to order them from an EBAY source in Israeli a couple of years ago.

The closest (conceptually) to the Israeli mount is the Bassett which I like alot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Israeli+M21+scope+mount&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&imgil=2xoxVIth8NiQ9M%253A%253BZrvzNa_sRQx-bM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.gunsamerica.co m%25252F978704544%25252FVery-rare-Israeli-M14-26mm-scope-mount.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=2xoxVIth8NiQ9M%253A%252CZrvzNa_sRQx-bM%252C_&usg=__mfl8--Ja0n4d6ExxMUawYCJcaS8%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiZqcqRkoTLAhUK72MKHe9_ATwQyjcIJw&ei=ljTHVpmGM4rejwPv_4XgAw#imgrc=2xoxVIth8NiQ9M%3A

TARGSHOOT
February 19, 2016, 12:28
A.R.M.S. is my choice, Ive used them all, your mileage may vary.. oh stay away from the aluminuim mounts if you desire repeatability....

Aeroscout
February 19, 2016, 16:04
Curious, what glass are you using with that and how much have you shot it ?

I dont know, I still like ARMS mounts. Double screw, plus I glue mine in.

Personally, I've never found a single screw M14 mount that would hold zero worth a hoot, even with small glass.

I am using a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical scope 3x10 40mm and the low picatinny Basset mount. I have shot it enough to know it works well and I like it for its simplicity and ability to remove and replace with minimal impact on zero. Also the low mount....in combination with my lunker sized melon, I don't need a cheek pad to get a decent cheek weld on the rifle using this combination. Adding one would be optimal but I personally don't find it necessary.

The mounts like you suggest that have multiple contact points are the ones (I have read) that generally have a tough time returning to zero as the multiple contact points are also pressure points. If you don't get the mount back on the rifle "exactly" as it was before, return to zero is going to be off. I have no first hand knowledge of this as the Basset is the only mount I have used on an M1A. It was however the basis of my decision to go with the Basset when researching mounts for my rifle. I choose the Basset and have been completely satisfied with the results of its use.

I put a lot of stock into the testimonials given on this mount, particularly from Ed Isenberg, former Officer in Charge of the Advanced Marksmanship Unit (AMU) at Fort Hood. He is a local Smith and I have dealt personally with him enough to value his opinion greatly.

http://www.bassettmachine.com/testimonials.htm

Aeroscout
February 19, 2016, 16:27
PS....Ed is also the guy that told me that if I want to get into Military Service Rifle match shooting.....to hang up the M14 and get a match grade 20 inch barrel AR-15.

The M1A's are finicky bitches that take a lot of time effort and money to get and more importantly....to "keep" shooting well.

For example.....take your buddy's tack driving M1A and simply pull the trigger group out as you would for normal disassembly and cleaning and watch his eyes nearly bug out of his head. Tight fitting trigger group is one key to M1A accuracy and every time you take it apart it is working against you.

Match grade AR-15's shoot right out of the box and do not require much if anything to get them as well as keep them shooting well, not to mention you can field strip and clean it with no detriment to its future performance.

While not exactly on topic I found his recommendations interesting to say the least. The M14 has this nostalgic aura of being some kind of super duper sniper rifle right out of the box. Add a scope to a M14 and presto you have an M21, and that is just not the case. M14's are typically no more accurate than any other "battle rifle" and it typically takes a lot to get them to shoot anywhere near commensurate to their mythical abilities.

I figure once one has a scope on their M14/M1A for the first time, they will have an awakening.....and it ain't always a pleasant one.

John Crusher
February 19, 2016, 17:30
Bassett.
They go on and come off and hold the closest to zero of any removable mount.
I opted for a 10X side focus on my favorite shooter and use a 4-14X50 on my NM, both are bassett.

Orlando8
February 19, 2016, 18:32
Sadlak
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/TRW%20M1A/Picture519.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Garandlover/media/TRW%20M1A/Picture519.jpg.html)

bubbagump
February 19, 2016, 20:07
PS....Ed is also the guy that told me that if I want to get into Military Service Rifle match shooting.....to hang up the M14 and get a match grade 20 inch barrel AR-15.

The M1A's are finicky bitches that take a lot of time effort and money to get and more importantly....to "keep" shooting well.

For example.....take your buddy's tack driving M1A and simply pull the trigger group out as you would for normal disassembly and cleaning and watch his eyes nearly bug out of his head. Tight fitting trigger group is one key to M1A accuracy and every time you take it apart it is working against you.

Match grade AR-15's shoot right out of the box and do not require much if anything to get them as well as keep them shooting well, not to mention you can field strip and clean it with no detriment to its future performance.

While not exactly on topic I found his recommendations interesting to say the least. The M14 has this nostalgic aura of being some kind of super duper sniper rifle right out of the box. Add a scope to a M14 and presto you have an M21, and that is just not the case. M14's are typically no more accurate than any other "battle rifle" and it typically takes a lot to get them to shoot anywhere near commensurate to their mythical abilities.

I figure once one has a scope on their M14/M1A for the first time, they will have an awakening.....and it ain't always a pleasant one.

An M14 is many things, and for the record I for one love 'em. But a super duper sniper rifle they ain't. Scope on an M14, I see lipstick on a pig. Get a Remington 700, bed it and don't look back.

b.

yovinny
February 21, 2016, 19:45
Very interesting...I might just have to add a Bassett to one of mine and try it out.
I've got 2 scoped right now, both in ARMS mounts. One has an 8x Kahles, the other sports a 10x Swarovski. I dont ever remove a mount if I dont absolutely need too, thats what I use QD rings for. I consider the mounts semi-permanent and 'glue' them down down with rail lock anyway.
I used ARMS QD rings for years, but I got tired of them loosening up and now have both switched over to Leupold QD rings....Which seem much better, sofar.
Besides, it lets me easily switch out to other glass too, like an older 24x leupold I have setup for testing loads.

While I'll agree with most everything else said here, I have to part company at the 'lipstick on a pig' comment.
While it's not a bolt action and it might take some to make the m14 shoot, their still capable of much finer accuracy then any FAL I've ever seen.
And I dont think you'll find many here that will state glass on a FAL is just a wasteful lesson in futility and has zero purpose....But I may be completely wrong there too :whistling:

Cheers, YV