PDA

View Full Version : Garand headspacing question

NC Rifleman
February 14, 2016, 20:29
Have a chance to pick up a nice barreled receiver and was thinking about finishing it out with some spare parts I've collected along the way. My question is, what is involved with headspacing one of these? I read something about chambers have to be reamed to go with the bolt being used, don't know if it can or needs to be done again since it doesn't come with a bolt.

Orlando8
February 14, 2016, 20:39
You are buying a used barreled receiver?
If so you cannot and do not need to ream it again. To be safe you do need to check headspace. Clean chamber, completey dissasemble bolt and insert Go gauge into chamber. With very light finger pressure push the lug down. It should close
The do the same with either the No Go or Field gauge, this time the bolt lug should not close. If your bolt does either of these headspace is fine.
If you do not have guages take it to your local gunsmith

bubbagump
February 19, 2016, 20:11
Have a chance to pick up a nice barreled receiver and was thinking about finishing it out with some spare parts I've collected along the way. My question is, what is involved with headspacing one of these? I read something about chambers have to be reamed to go with the bolt being used, don't know if it can or needs to be done again since it doesn't come with a bolt.

What is involved is getting a bolt and a short chambered barrel. Ya torque the barrel on and time it. You then use a finish reamer to ream the barrel until the rifle will close on a go gauge.

So yes, you are correct. Chambers need to be finish reamed with the bolt that will be assigned/used in the rifle. The reason is the bolts vary.

b.

Orlando8
February 20, 2016, 07:37
What is involved is getting a bolt and a short chambered barrel. Ya torque the barrel on and time it. You then use a finish reamer to ream the barrel until the rifle will close on a go gauge.

So yes, you are correct. Chambers need to be finish reamed with the bolt that will be assigned/used in the rifle. The reason is the bolts vary.

b.

No the OP has a used barreled receiver, it does not need to be finish reamed

AliYahu
February 20, 2016, 21:52

I'd try your bolt, and if it's too long or too short find the 'correct' length bolt. My BM59 (modified Garand receiver, bolt, and barrel) bolted together and headspaced fine, you get lucky more often than not.

Eli

SteelonSteel
March 02, 2016, 12:55
Probably true.

I got a few garands through the years and I did the parts swapping around on them to kind of make them more correct; ie putting the Winchester parts on a Winchester etc.

Only once did I have a close issue and put the bolt it came with back. A Winchester from CMP came with a SA 65 series bolt. I tried my Winchester bolts and they would just feel gage on a field gage, the longest gage, the one where you're supposed to be looking at to pull from service soon. If you feel the gage with field but almost close it is still ok but on the long side. I could spring it closed on the field gage. Long chambers are seldom the most accurate setup. That Winchester gets the 65 SA bolt.